FOOD NEWS: ‘Pork Lord,’ salmon tacos highlight brewpub’s new menu

Published: Friday, February 09, 2018 @ 12:31 PM

Smoked Salmon Fish Tacos are on the new menu unveiled by the Fifth Street Brewpub in Dayton. CONTRIBUTED
Smoked Salmon Fish Tacos are on the new menu unveiled by the Fifth Street Brewpub in Dayton. CONTRIBUTED

A Dayton brewpub formally rolled out its new menu today, Friday Feb. 9, with items such as a “Pork Lord” sandwich and “Fun Guy in the Garden” mushroom dish among the highlights.

Fifth Street Brewpub’s new menu includes 24 new items, according to general manager Tanya Brock.

PHOTOS: Warped Wing’s ‘Superba’ beer release party

“We still have all of the great favorites,” Brock said. “But we added a large selection of new sandwiches and full-plate items, and some vegetarian and vegan options as well.”

The new dishes include an Eat Your Veggies stir-fry, and Fish Tacos that consist of smoked salmon with IPA-jalapeno slaw and citrus-lime sauce, served on a corn tortilla shell.

6 restaurants that shut down at The Greene

The Pork Lord sandwich boasts sliced ham and bacon topped with a fried egg, horseradish aioli and ghost pepperjack cheese, while the Fun Guy in the Garden consists of a grilled portobello mushroom cap stuffed with grilled peppers, onions and garlic, served on a bed of fresh spinach with mozzarella cheese and a balsamic drizzle.

Best of Dayton 2017 Winners: Food & Dining

Returning favorites include Salmon B.E.L.T., Henry Street Chips, Turkey Avo, and Ohio-raised beef burgers, Brock said.

Iconic Barnsider restaurant space is on the auction block

The cooperatively owned — but open to the public — brewpub at 1600 E. Fifth St. in Dayton also released a new beer this week: Fifth Date, a stout brewed with lactose, fermented with cherry, and conditioned with chocolate, available in 22-ounce bottles. A new brewpub logo also is part of the late-winter changes.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Convicted murderer mistakenly released from jail 

Published: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 12:28 AM

Javoris Hurston
WSBTV.com
Javoris Hurston(WSBTV.com)

The Georgia jail that mistakenly released a convicted murderer said no one will be disciplined for what happened.

>> Read more trending news

The DeKalb County Sheriff's Office realized a mistake was made after the murder victim's family saw the murderer on the streets.

"Sounds like somebody didn't relay the right information or didn't look," one DeKalb County resident said.

Jail officials said they didn't know Javoris Hurston had recently pleaded guilty to manslaughter in Fulton County.

"So, there's a murderer on the street again?" one resident asked. 

Hurston had been free two days before a fugitive squad located him and put him back in jail.

DeKalb County officials realized the mistake after the family of murder victim, 51-year-old Barry Hawkins, saw Hurston on the streets and called wondering how he got out.

"I don't know this family, but I sympathize with them," said a mother who also lost a son to murder.

Hawkins was killed in 2015 in Atlanta. Hurston was arrested and was freed on bond. Soon after, he was arrested in DeKalb County on aggravated assault charges.

In June 2017, Hurston was returned to Fulton County, where he pleaded guilty to Hawkins’ killing and received a 20-year prison sentence.

Then he was sent back to the DeKalb County Jail to answer the aggravated assault charges. The charges were dropped Feb. 15. The jail then released Hurston.

DeKalb officials say Fulton County officials didn't send over the disposition of the murder case, so it released Hurston.

Fulton County officials are looking into what information it sent.

Residents feel bad for Hawkins’ family.

"My prayers go out to them because that’s not right. It is not right," Butler said.

The DeKalb jail says no procedural errors were made by its employees, so no one will be disciplined.

Hurston is back in the Fulton County Jail awaiting transfer to state prison.

Trending - Most Read Stories

President Donald Trump admits to trying to hide his bald spot

Published: Friday, February 23, 2018 @ 11:14 PM

U.S. President Donald Trump jokes about covering his bald spot while addressing the Conservative Political Action Conference.
 (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
U.S. President Donald Trump jokes about covering his bald spot while addressing the Conservative Political Action Conference. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)(Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

Over the years, much has been speculated about President Donald Trump’s hair, but he’s never admitted to having a reason for choosing his particular hairstyle other than the fact that it’s the way he “likes it.” However, on Friday, that all changed when he finally admitted to having a bald spot — and trying to hide it.

>> Read more trending news

“Oh, I try like hell to hide the bald spot, folks. I work at it,” he told the crowd at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Oxon Hill, Maryland. “It doesn’t look bad. Hey, we are hanging in, we are hanging in, we are hanging in there. Right? Together, we are hanging in.”

Trump’s honest take on his hair came after a video of him boarding Air Force One at Andrews Air Force Base on Feb. 2 revealed a bald spot on the back of his head when his signature mane was whipped by the gusty wind.

Trump’s hair has been a topic of conversation for years, and he has often talked about it himself. In a much-maligned interview on “The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon,” the late-night host was allowed to mess up then-candidate Trump’s hair to prove that it was real.

Trump has also made it clear multiple times that he doesn’t wear a wig or a “rug” as he’s called it. “As everybody knows, but the haters and losers refuse to acknowledge, I do not wear a ‘wig.’ My hair may not be perfect, but it’s mine,” he once wrote on Twitter.

“I do not wear a rug. My hair is 100 percent mine. No animals have been harmed in the creation of my hairstyle,” the former businessman quipped in his book, “Trump: How to Get Rich.”

Trending - Most Read Stories

FDA approves blood test that can detect concussions 

Published: Friday, February 23, 2018 @ 10:58 PM

Maxime Chanot #4 of New York City FC holds his head after a clash of heads form a corner kick during the New York City FC Vs San Jose Earthquakes regular season MLS game at Yankee Stadium on April 1, 2017 in New York City. 
Tim Clayton - Corbis/Corbis via Getty Images
Maxime Chanot #4 of New York City FC holds his head after a clash of heads form a corner kick during the New York City FC Vs San Jose Earthquakes regular season MLS game at Yankee Stadium on April 1, 2017 in New York City. (Tim Clayton - Corbis/Corbis via Getty Images)

The Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday approved a breakthrough blood test that can help detect concussions in adults.

>> Read more trending news 

The blood test, also known as the Banyan Brain Trauma Indicator Test, works by measuring UCH-L1 and GFAP, both proteins released from the brain into the blood, within 12 hours of a head injury.

It can be administered as soon as 15 minutes after the injury, but results take a few hours to produce.

>> Related: When love isn’t enough: A daughter’s suicide leaves a grieving father searching for answers

According to the Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, traumatic brain injury is a “serious public health problem in the United States.” In 2013 alone, there were about 2.8 million visits to emergency rooms for traumatic brain injury-related conditions. Of these, nearly 50,000 people died.

TBI is typically caused by a blow or bump to the head, or a by a head injury that disrupts the brain’s normal functioning. It can range from mild to severe. About 75 percent of TBIs that occur each year are assessed as mild TBIs or concussions. 

>> Related: Spit test could diagnose concussion in kids, study says

Most patients with traumatic brain injury undergo a neurological exam, followed by a CT scan.

For their research, the FDA evaluated data on 1,947 individual blood samples from adults with suspected mild TBI or concussion and reviewed the product’s performance by comparing blood test results with CT scan results.

They found the blood test was 97.5 percent as effective in detecting concussion and 99.6 perfect as effective in ruling out the injury.

The test also costs as little as one-tenth as much as a CT scan.

» RELATED: Which high school sports have the most concussions? 

"A blood test that accurately, reliably and consistently detects the presence of brain proteins that appear in the blood after a brain injury is a major advance," Dr. David Dodick, a fellow of the American Academy of Neurology who specializes in sports medicine and neurology, told CNN. Dodick was not involved in the study.

One of the challenges of diagnosing concussions is that the injury’s symptoms can occur at various times. For some, they appear instantly. Others may not experience symptoms for hours or even days.

» RELATED: Football players under 12 at high risk of brain injury, study finds

Symptoms also vary from person to person. Some may experience light or noise sensitivity, or may lose balance.

“This is something that has been a long time coming,” Col. Dallas Hack, who was director of the Army’s Combat Casualty Care Research Program from 2008 to 2014 and is now retired, told the New York Times. 

“The concept originally was that we would have something that medical personnel in the field would be able to use to assess whether somebody who had received a head injury needed a higher level of care,” Hack said.

» RELATED: Youth football called ‘child abuse’

But Dodick told CNN that researchers still need to better understand when brains have fully healed from trauma and how the protein biomarkers may actually affect prognosis. Additionally, it’s unclear whether or not the new test can determine subconcussive blows, hits to the head that don’t always cause symptoms but do cause brain injury. 

Subconcussive or repeat blows are believed to lead to the neurodegenerative disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE. Over time, that damage may lead to personality changes, mood disorders and other behavioral issues.

"These occur much more often than actual concussions, especially in certain collision and contact sports,” Dodick told CNN.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Teen admits to killing Memphis couple, setting apartment on fire

Published: Friday, February 23, 2018 @ 9:42 PM


Joe Raedle/Getty Images
(Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

An arrest has been made after a Memphis couple was found dead in an apartment that went up in flames Thursday afternoon.

>> Read more trending news 

Aareon Berryman, 18, has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder, especially aggravated robbery, aggravated arson, possession of marijuana with the intent to manufacture or sell, and possession of ecstasy with the intent to manufacture or sell. 

On Thursday afternoon, a Memphis Police Department officer said he heard multiple gunshots coming from an apartment complex located in the 3500 block of Tall Oaks Circle. Witnesses began yelling, "It's a robbery happening," he said.

Moments later, the officer said he found Berryman running northbound from an apartment unit engulfed in flames. After a short foot chase, Berryman was caught and taken into custody. Officers said they asked the suspect if anyone was still in the apartment. 

>> Related: Husband, wife found dead in Memphis apartment that went up in flames 

Berryman said there were two other people inside the burning apartment where he "left them," police officials said.

The Memphis Fire Department arrived at the scene after being notified of the apartment fire. MFD found the body of Brandon Allen lying on the kitchen floor and the body Regina Allen in the back bedroom. They were pronounced dead on the scene.

Regina and Brandon Allen were found dead in their burned-out Memphis apartment Thursday. A teen has been arrested and charged with arson, murder and other crimes.(Facebook)

The couple had just celebrated Regina's birthday four days ago.

Police said Berryman admitted to killing both victims, taking their property, and setting their apartment on fire.

The suspect allegedly had an AR-15, loaded handgun, 2 jars of marijuana, 3 plastic bags of marijuana, 3 prescription pill bottles, and a bottle of charcoal lighter fluid in his possession at the time of his arrest, authorities said.

>> Related: Family ID's husband and wife found dead in burning apartment

Officials said 8 to 16 units were completely or partially burned out in the process. The total damage was estimated at $254,000 for the buildings and $76,000 worth of contents, according to MFD.

Trending - Most Read Stories