breaking news


Neighbor: Man begged forgiveness when caught having sex with pool raft

Published: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 @ 12:58 PM
Updated: Thursday, July 11, 2013 @ 6:46 PM

Neighbors of a man repeatedly arrested for public indecency said they are alarmed by his behavior and hope he receives mental help.

Edwin Charles Tobergta III, 34, of Harmon Avenue, was arrested June 17 for allegedly stepping out his back door naked at about 1:20 p.m. June 15 and having “sexual relations with a rubber pool float,” according to a Hamilton police report.

Tobergta was indicted by a Butler County grand jury Wednesday for public indecency, a fifth-degree felony. If convicted, he faces 12 months behind bars.

Theresa Teague’s 10-year-old daughter was enjoying her new swimming pool June 15 when she ran back inside her house and said, “Edwin was doing something weird out there,” the Hamilton resident told the JournalNews Thursday.

Tobergta was caught in the sex act with an orange inflatable toy that Teague said a neighbor had put out for the trash.

“He was yelling, ‘Please forgive me. I won’t do it again. Don’t call the police,’ ” as he ran back into his house, Teague said.

The girl is now hesitant to play in the back yard, even though she knows Tobergta is in jail, Teague said.

“We are looking at putting her in counseling,” she said

Timothy Teague, the girl’s grandfather, said he is appalled by what happened.

“How can a man — a man — take and do something …. with a rubber raft in front of a 10-year-old child? Its very appalling,” he said.

Theresa Teague moved to the neighborhood in October and said she had no idea about Tobergta’s past.

“I feel like as public citizens, we need to be warned of things like that,” she said.

Tobergta has been arrested several times previously for similar offenses, according to Hamilton Municipal Court records.

In August 2011, he was arrested at his home after he was seen engaging in sexual conduct with a pink inflatable swimming pool raft, according to police records.

The incident allegedly occurred in an alley behind his home. The witness, who was the owner of the raft, reported to police that the suspect took the raft with him after being shouted at to stop, according to records.

After the 2011 arrest, police said Tobergta admitted to the act and told officers that he has a problem and needs help.

Kristen Proffit, a neighbor, said Tobergta is a “nice guy” and that whatever crimes he has committed can be remedied by therapy, not imprisonment.

“I’ve talked to him. He said he was trying to change,” she said.

Theresa Teague said incarceration alone wouldn’t help Tobergta.

“This man needs to have some sort of psychiatric evaluation … instead of turning back to living next door,” she said.

After a 2008 conviction for felony public indecency, Tobergta was sentenced to five years community control.

In that incident, officers responded to a home on Howell Avenue to a report of a naked man standing in a neighbor’s yard and engaging in sexual activity, according to records.

Butler County Common Pleas Judge Noah Powers said in 2oo8 that he sentenced Tobergta to community control so he could get help for a mental disability and drug problems.

In 2006, Tobergta was charged with public indecency and aggravated menacing while being held at the Butler County Jail. Deputies reported that Tobergta began to remove his uniform and exposed his genitals to a corrections officer.

Deputies reported that Tobergta refused to put his uniform back on, attempted to grab an officer and then threatened that officer.

Tobergta is being held at the Butler County Jail on $25,000 bond. He is scheduled to be arraigned July 23 before Butler County Common Pleas Judge Charles Pater.

Fatal Kettering shooting: Why teen may face adult murder charges

Published: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 7:31 AM

Ronnie Bowers

On Wednesday, a hearing is scheduled to decide if a 17-year-old will be tried as an adult on murder charges in the Sept. 4, 2016 shooting death of a Fairmont High School sophomore.

It’s been nearly nine months since the fatal shooting of 16-year-old Ronnie Bowers shortly after he and friends left AlterFest.

RELATED: Police say teens to face charges in shooting

Here are notable developments that have led to two charges of murder against Kylen Jamal Gregory:

SEPT. 4, 2016

A shooting is reported around 9 p.m. in the 800 block of Willowdale Avenue in Kettering. Police call the victim – later identified as Bowers – an “innocent bystander” who was shot in the head in what they described as ongoing “beef” with other teens.

RELATED: Prosecutor wants teen tried as an adult

SEPT. 5

Kettering Police Chief Chip Protsman said detectives would meet the next day with the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office seeking to charge the four male suspects — one 18-year-old, two 16-year-olds and one 14-year-old — with felonious assault and other charges related to the shooting. All four suspects live in Kettering.

SEPT. 6

Felonious assault charges are among those filed against three males - two 16-year-olds and a 14-year-old – in the Bowers shooting. Later that day, Bowers dies and the coroner’s office rules it a homicide, Kettering’s first gun-related killing in nine years. The 18-year-old, Miles Heizer, is not charged in the Bowers case.

RELATED: 2 teens strike plea deal, agree to testify against third

OCT. 26

One of the 16-year-olds – Gregory - is charged with two counts of murder in Montgomery County Juvenile Court Judge Anthony Capizzi’s courtroom. County Prosecutor Mathias Heck said he would seek to try Gregory as an adult.

NOV. 22

The two other teens – now 17 and 15 - charged in the Bowers homicide pleaded guilty to two counts of felony tampering with evidence and one count each of misdemeanor assault and aggravated menacing. As part of a sealed plea deal, the two agree to testify against Gregory.

RELATED: Teen witnesses get maximum sentence

JAN. 30, 2017

The 17- and 15-year-old testify that Gregory fired a single shot at the rear of Bowers’ car as the victim attempted to flee from an altercation on Willowdale on Sept. 4, 2016. Both witnesses said they approached Bowers’ car seeking a confrontation and both said after the shooting they handled the gun used in the homicide.

FEB. 1

Capizzi sentences the 17- and 15-year-old to maximum sentences, possibly both serving in juvenile custody until they are 21. Capizzi said the 17-year-old was in a position to prevent the shooting and the 15-year-old showed no remorse.

MORE KETTERING FATAL SHOOTING COVERAGE

Judge uses broad options to detain defendants

Kettering shooting victim’s mother calls son hero

Match found for Ronnie Bowers organs

Gregory hearing rescheduled

Investigators digging to recover body of missing woman

Published: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 10:50 AM

Authorities are in Troy this morning in hopes of getting answers about a woman who went missing nearly seven years ago.

Cold Case File: Still no trace of missing pregnant woman

Nikki Lyn Forrest, 19, was four months pregnant when she disappeared in September 2010. 

Investigators have new information in the cold case that has sent them to a backyard of a home in the 1400 block of Croydon Road in Troy. The police activity is visible from North Dorset Road near West Main Street.

Cold case detective joins search for woman who vanished while pregnant

A white tent is up and authorities tell us they are digging in hopes of recovering Nikki Lyn Forrest’s body.

Investigators are also digging in the garage.

Cadaver dogs are on scene with police from Piqua and Troy.

Investigators have been at the property before as part of the investigation. It is the former home of Nikki Lyn Forrest’s boyfriend, who was named as a suspect in her disappearance.

VIDEO: 4 Miami Valley cold cases

RELATED: 5 area missing persons cases that continue to be mysteries

We’re working to gather more details and will update this story as more information becomes available.

West Carrollton study focuses on mapping downtown corridor’s future

Published: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 11:55 AM


            The site of the former Ahlstrom paper mill at Central Avenue and Elm Street will be among the property included in the strategic plan. NICK BLIZZARD

West Carrollton is ready to a hire a consultant to map the future on its West Central Avenue corridor, including 20 acres of city-owned land where paper mills once stood.

RELATED: Fraser demolition in final phase

A Columbus firm is the top choice to perform the study, which involves the city’s center district spanning Central from Elm Street to Miami Avenue, according to the city. It includes the former sites of the Fraser and Ahlstrom mills, and runs parallel to the Great Miami River.

RELATED: Mill site cleanup to cost more, take longer

West Carrollton City Council tonight is expected to approve hiring OHM Advisors over six other firms in Ohio, Kentucky and Illinois, documents show.

DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE APPS FOR LATEST BREAKING NEWS

MORE COVERAGE

West Carrollton getting land to demolish paper mill

City seeks to quell speculation about former mill site

Corrections officer sentenced to one year in prison for selling cell phones to inmates

Published: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 8:33 AM

Michael Rose Jr.

UPDATED: 11:37 a.m. today 

 

Saying a “message needs to be sent” to law enforcement, U.S. District Court Judge Walter Rice sentenced Michael Rose Jr. to one year in prison after Rose pleaded guilty to selling cell phones to Montgomery County Jail inmates. 

 

Rice delayed imposition of the sentence until October so Rose can remain employed as a truck driver and Rose’s children are back in school. Prosecutors asked Rice to reconsider Rose’s delay of imposing the sentence. Rice declined to reconsider. 

 

UPDATED: 8:35 a.m. today

The former Montgomery County Jail corrections officer convicted of providing inmates with cell phones will be sentenced this morning in Dayton’s U.S. District Court.

Prosecutors want Michael Rose Jr., 29, to serve longer than the 6 months suggested in pre-sentence report, according to a sentencing memorandum.

EARLIER: Corrections officer pleads guilty to providing cell phones to inmates

The advisory, non-binding sentencing range calculated for Rose was 12 to 18 months. Prosecutors want U.S. District Court Judge Walter Rice to put Rose behind bars for that length of time because he “violated the trust that those whom he guarded and the public had placed in him.”

Rose pleaded guilty by bill of information in February to attempted extortion under color of official right. He was accused of providing multiple cell phones to inmates to conduct heroin trafficking in exchange for money.

RELATED: Corrections officer had money issues

The statutory sentencing range for the charge is from zero to 20 years and fines of up to $250,000.

“He undermined the reason that most of those individuals were in his custody — to prevent their further criminal activity and to protect the public from their illegal conduct,” assistant U.S. attorney Brent Tabacchi wrote. “His actions contributed to the public’s ever-eroding faith in the ability of government employees to perform their jobs honestly, expeditiously, and without self-interest.”

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

An affidavit written by Frederick Zollers, a member of the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office and a task force member, alleged that Rose, who started working at the Montgomery County Jail in April 2016, provided a cell phone to an inmate in exchange for $5,000 cash.

That federal inmate, according to Zollers, used the telephone to conduct drug transactions while incarcerated. “Imposition of a significant sentence in this case will force the next public employee to reconsider his or her potential misconduct,” Tabacchi wrote.