72-year-old man found alive after 19 days in forest

Published: Sunday, October 13, 2013 @ 10:49 PM
Updated: Monday, October 14, 2013 @ 9:09 AM

A 72-year-old hunter who got hurt in a Northern California forest and was lost for 19 days survived the ordeal by eating squirrels and lizards and covering himself with leaves to stay warm, authorities said Sunday.

Gene Penaflor, 72, of San Francisco, was found Saturday in Mendocino National Forest by other hunters who carried him to safety in a makeshift stretcher, the Mendocino County Sheriff's Office said in a written statement.

Penaflor had been missing since Sept. 24 when he didn't meet up with his hunting partner for lunch, sheriff's Detective Andrew Porter told the Ukiah Daily Journal (http://bit.ly/1ekjENg ).

>> Read more trending stories  

The two had split up for several hours to hunt deer, and during his hike, Penaflor fell and struck his head. He later told detectives he woke up disoriented amid thick fog. He walked for a time but stopped when he didn't know where he was.

Porter said Penaflor decided to spend the night near a water source to tend to a cut on his chin. The next two days, he saw a helicopter and tried to send a smoke signal but no one saw him.

He said he sustained himself on squirrels, lizards, a snake, berries and algae. To keep dry and warm from the rain and snow, he crawled under a large log and covered himself with leaves and grasses, authorities said.

He saw deer but didn't have the energy to shoot them, Porter said.

"He knew at some point he was going to die, but he figured he'd last as long as he could," the detective said.

The sheriff's office said an initial search involving several agencies was called off when a storm was on its way and there was no sign of Penaflor.

The search was reactivated Saturday, and a group of hunters found Penaflor when someone in the group heard a voice calling for help from the bottom of a canyon. He was located about 3 miles from where he had disappeared.

Penaflor's son, Jeremy, told the Daily Journal his father was in good condition after being airlifted to Ukiah Valley Medical Center. After learning that Penaflor had gone missing, his family had been staying in the town closest to his hunting camp.

"I had faith that my dad was still alive," the son said. "With the knowledge that he had, and what he knew how to do, 14 days was nothing to him. I think after 14 days, I would have freaked out."

___

Man shot outside WWE facilities rants at judge while asking for bond

Published: Sunday, February 19, 2017 @ 7:04 AM
Updated: Sunday, February 19, 2017 @ 7:04 AM


            Man shot outside WWE facilities rants at judge while asking for bond

A Florida man shot by an Orange County deputy outside the World Wrestling Entertainment facilities tried Friday to persuade a judge to grant him bond.

>> Read more trending new

But his outbursts in court prompted the judge to deny the motion.

Armando Montalvo originally got bond until he was picked up by authorities again.

In August 2015, video captured Montalvo outside the WWE facilities trying to find a female wrestler on whom he was fixated, investigators said.

He banged on the glass door and rolled on the ground, they said.

The video shows him running toward responding deputies, who opened fire, hitting Montalvo.

He was charged with aggravated assault on a law-enforcement officer and trespassing.

Montalvo spent six weeks in jail before posting bond Oct. 6.

In court Friday, he had a few outbursts while trying to make his case for bond, blaming deputies for shooting him.

“I’m the victim here. I was shot by police,” Montalvo said.

Montalvo’s father testified that Montalvo is mentally ill.

He said Montalvo has borderline personality disorder and schizophrenia, and without his medication, he tends to have outbursts.

But the state gave those same reasons to argue that Montalvo should stay in jail, and the judge agreed.

Since the incident at WWE, Montalvo has been charged again with battery.

Montalvo was arrested again last month outside the Independent Bar in downtown Orlando.

He was charged with violating his bond conditions when he took a vacuum hose and put one end in his pants and the other up a woman’s skirt.

The violation landed him behind bars with no bond, and he must stay in jail until his trial.

Related

Woman does cartwheels during field sobriety test

Published: Sunday, February 19, 2017 @ 7:08 AM
Updated: Sunday, February 19, 2017 @ 7:08 AM


            Woman does cartwheels during field sobriety test

It was a move worthy of praise from the U.S. gymnastics team’s “Final Five.” Instead, it vaulted a New Mexico woman into jail.

>> Read more trending news

Police in Albuquerque said the woman, who was passed out in the driver’s seat of her car on Friday night, did a series of cartwheels during a field sobriety test Friday, the Albuquerque Journal reported.

But the athletic moves did not convince the police officer that 23-year-old Bryelle N. Marshall was sober, and she was arrested on charges of aggravated drunken driving and battery, the Journal reported.

The officer wrote in the criminal complaint, which was filed in Metropolitan Court, that once outside the vehicle, Marshall had a hard time standing and was swaying from side to side. She also smelled like alcohol and had a hard time balancing, according to the complaint.

The officer tired to give her field sobriety tests but she wouldn’t listen to instructions, according to the complaint.

“Bryelle put her hands in the air and completed two cartwheels while I was attempting to demonstrate and instruct the field sobriety test,” the officer wrote.

The officer warned Marshall that if she did another cartwheel, she would be arrested, the Journal reported. The officer put her in a position to do the field sobriety test, and Marshall struck a gymnastic pose.

“While facing the wrong direction, as she had done prior, Bryelle again raised her hands up and while I was instructing she again did a cartwheel and fell to the ground,” the officer wrote.

Marshall was arrested and taken to the Prisoner Transport Center in Downtown Albuquerque, where she allegedly tried to kick the officer in the genitals, according to the complaint.

Related

Trump's comments about Sweden confuse Swedes

Published: Sunday, February 19, 2017 @ 6:28 AM
Updated: Sunday, February 19, 2017 @ 6:28 AM


            Trump's comments about Sweden confuse Swedes

During a speech at Saturday night’s rally in Florida, President Donald Trump mentioned several countries that were having security issues — including Sweden, which apparently surprised the Swedes, BuzzFeed reported.

>> Read more trending news

Speaking before a raucous, enthusiastic and cheering crowd in Melbourne, Trump said “we’ve got to keep our country safe.”

“You look at what’s happening in Germany, you look at what’s happening last night in Sweden. Sweden, who would believe this? Sweden. They took in large numbers. They’re having problems like they never thought possible,” Trump said. “You look at what’s happening in Brussels, you look at what’s happening all over the world. Take a look at Nice, take a look at Paris.”

On Twitter, Swedes seemed confused.

“Ask your president what happened in Sweden yesterday,” Jens Lennarttson tweeted. “We missed it.”

Soon, #LastNightInSweden and #swedenincident began to trend on Twitter. People started tweeting to @Sweden, which is run by a different citizen each week, for answers. School librarian Emma Johansson was at the controls during Trump’s speech, and she assured tweeters that all was well in Sweden.

Johansson was referencing an interview that Fox News host Tucker Carlson ran on Friday night's broadcast of "Tucker Carlson Tonight" with documentarian and media personality Ami Horowitz, who presented a clip from a new film documenting alleged violence committed by refugees in Sweden. The segment went on extensively about a supposed crime surge in Sweden and its links to immigrant populations, Business Insider reported.

Johansson later said she compiled several tweets and provided a link to them.

As night turned to morning in Scandanavia, some Swedes used sarcasm to assure the rest of the world that all was well in their country.

McCain defends media: 'That’s how dictators get started'

Published: Saturday, February 18, 2017 @ 11:27 PM
Updated: Saturday, February 18, 2017 @ 11:27 PM


            McCain defends media: 'That’s how dictators get started'

Sen. John McCain is defending the media after President Donald Trump tweeted that certain newsgroups are “the enemy of the American People.”

An adversarial, free press is a fundamental part of democracy, McCain said.

>> Read more trending news 

"I am afraid that we would lose so much of our individual liberties over time (without a free press),” McCain said in an interview with "Meet the Press" that airs Sunday. “That's how dictators get started."

"When you look at history," McCain continued, "the first thing that dictators do is shut down the press. And I'm not saying that President Trump is trying to be a dictator. I'm just saying we need to learn the lessons of history."

McCain clarified that he was not calling Trump a dictator, but said suppressing a free press is one of the first thing an autocratic administration attempts.

"A fundamental part of that new world order was a free press. I hate the press, McCain said jokingly. “I hate you especially. But the fact is we need you."