log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Monday, October 09, 2017 @ 1:16 PM
— The Trump administration says any deal to protect DACA recipients from deportation will come at the price of a border wall and a crackdown on sanctuary cities.
The White House released Sunday a list of immigration reforms it expects to see passed if a deal to replace the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, the program to protect undocumented children illegally brought to the country by their parents, is to be had.
The list, which includes 18 initiatives, "must be included" as part of any legislation addressing the status of those in the DACA program, according to a letter from President Donald Trump to members of Congress.
"Without these reforms, illegal immigration and chain migration, which severely and unfairly burden American workers and taxpayers, will continue without end," Trump said in the letter.
"These priorities are essential to mitigate the legal and economic consequences of any grant of status to DACA recipients," White House legislative director Marc Short reiterated on a call with reporters. "They fulfill the President's promise to advance immigration reform that puts the need of American workers first."
Democratic leaders in the House and the Senate were quick to condemn the list.
"The administration can't be serious about compromise or helping the Dreamers if they begin with a list that is anathema to the Dreamers, to the immigrant community and to the vast majority of Americans," Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-New York) and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-California) said in a joint statement.
"We told the President at our meeting (a dinner that Democratic leaders had with the president last month) that we were open to reasonable border security measures alongside the DREAM Act, but this list goes so far beyond what is reasonable,"
Schumer and Pelosi said in a statement. "This proposal fails to represent any attempt at compromise. The list includes the wall, which was explicitly ruled out of the negotiations. If the President was serious about protecting the Dreamers, his staff has not made a good faith effort to do so."
The Democrats’ proposed “Dream Act” would give those enrolled in DACA permanent legal status that would include a path to citizenship in the United States. The measures from the White House range from restricting asylum protection and returning unaccompanied minors to expanding ways to circumvent parts of the deportation process. The measures also include an overhaul of the green card system and steps to deny federal grants to sanctuary cities.
Published: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 @ 12:32 PM
CARY, N.C. — A 6-year-old North Carolina girl is the latest person in the state to die from the flu.
Normally, information about her would not be released because of privacy laws, but her parents want people to know her story.
Emily Muth was diagnosed with the flu last Tuesday. Her parents, Nathan Muth and Rhonda Muth, took her to an urgent care center in Cary, North Carolina, where a doctor prescribed Emily Tamiflu and sent her home.
Emily’s health briefly improved, then drastically worsened. She died Friday.
Emily had not gotten a flu shot. Her parents want to warn others to get the shot if they have not already.
“Cherish every single moment you have with your kids because it can be taken away in an instant,” Nathan Muth told WSOC. “This happened from Tuesday to Friday, so 3 ½ days. The flu is nothing to mess with.”
The Muths plan for their two sons to get their flu shots.
So far this season, 43 people have died from the flu in North Carolina. In South Carolina, that number is at 24, including nine last week.
Published: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 @ 11:24 AM
Updated: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 @ 11:24 AM
QUINTON, Okla. — Five workers remained missing Tuesday after a natural gas well exploded and caught fire in Oklahoma one day earlier, sending out a smoke plume that could be seen for miles.
Officials said 16 other employees were able to get out of the area safely. One person was flown to a Tulsa hospital for treatment of unspecified injuries.
Emergency officials let the fire burn itself out and fought any flames that went beyond a perimeter they established.
Pittsburg County officials said they moved the mission from rescue to recovery on Tuesday. When the scene cools, the medical examiner will check the scene.
The missing individuals were identified Friday, including:
Ray, Smith and Risk worked for oil drilling company Patterson-UTI Energy Inc., which owns the well.
The company’s CEO, Andy Hendricks, said at a news conference that Patterson-UTI is supporting the families of the missing employees and working with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration as the agency investigates.
Workers will retain their jobs despite the loss of their job site, according to Patterson-UTI officials.
Authorities said the public was safe from contaminates and that there was no need for evacuations.
Pittsburg County emergency managers and the county sheriff confirmed around 9 a.m. local time that an explosion and fire took place at a well in Quinton.
The well is owned by oil drilling company Patterson-UTI Energy Inc., employees confirmed. In a statement, company officials said they were unaware of what caused the fire.
“We have received reports that some of our employees and others are unaccounted for at this time,” the statement said. “Our top priority is the safety of our employees and any others who may be affected. We've activated our emergency response systems and are fully cooperating with first responders and authorities on the scene. We will provide more details as they are known.”
The company's president and CEO, Andy Hendricks, later released a separate statement:
All of us at Patterson-UTI are deeply saddened by the news of the incident in Pittsburg County, Oklahoma, this morning. Our hearts go out to the families of the five missing individuals, three of whom are Patterson-UTI employees. We've reached out to their families and are providing support during this difficult time.
At this moment, no one knows with certainty what happened, and it would be unwise to speculate. Well control experts and emergency responders are on site and we will conduct a thorough investigation when the incident is fully contained. We will provide updates as more facts are known.
There is nothing more important to us than the safety of our employees and others we partner with in the field. Tonight, our thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected and their loved ones.
Red Mountain Energy was operating the well.
FOX23 storm chasers in the area spotted the smoke plume from the fire miles away.
Grief counselors and religious leaders were offering support to families and workers on Monday. The American Red Cross was also working to help first responders as they worked to contain the fire.
Fire crews also searched woods for anyone that may have run from the scene, but they didn’t find anyone. Searches are expected to resume once the area cools down.
Published: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 @ 11:27 AM
SUTTON, Mass. — A school bus full of children on the way to school slid down and off a road in Sutton, Massachusetts, Tuesday morning. Sutton Public Schools Superintendent Theodore Friend confirmed the incident.
A video posted to Facebook Tuesday showed the bus sliding down a road that has a slight hill. It took out a mailbox and finally came to a stop after hitting a small sedan parked on the side of the road.
Friend told WFXT no one was hurt during the crash. He had been communicating with the highway department about the salting schedule and they thought they could get to all the roads before the buses went out for the day. Friend said crews hadn’t made it to that road yet when the crash happened.
Friend said the bus had middle and high school students on board. Some went to school after, others went home for the day.
Published: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 @ 11:49 AM
LOS ANGELES — Parents at a Los Angeles elementary school are furious amid allegations that a physical education teacher stripped naked and chased a group of students around the school playground.
CBS Los Angeles reported that a construction worker passing by Carthay Center Elementary School on Friday captured the aftermath of the incident. The video, obtained by the news station, shows the unidentified teacher standing on the playground and putting his pants back on.
Parents who spoke to the CBS affiliate were livid.
“He was supposed to be helping them learn PE, run around and have fun,” one parent said. “But he undressed and started chasing the kids while he was naked. Then the kids ducked and dodged, ran into some of the classrooms and got safe haven that way.”
“All of the kids saw his private parts,” another parent said. “Very embarrassing, very upset.”
Officials with the Los Angeles Unified School District notified parents of the incident with a letter and a robocall, CBS reported.
“An individual began behaving in an unusual way, prompting us to contact law enforcement,” the letter stated. “As a safety precaution, our school went on a brief lockdown while officers responded and took the individual into custody.”
District officials declined to comment further, but they did confirm that the man, a contract worker, had permission to be on the school campus, the news station said. Mental health counselors were made available to the students who witnessed the incident.
School resource officers are investigating the man’s actions, CBS said.