Update: Pizza Hut employee shoots, kills attempted robber, CMPD says

Published: Monday, October 31, 2016 @ 8:34 AM
Updated: Monday, October 31, 2016 @ 8:34 AM


            Update: Pizza Hut employee shoots, kills attempted robber, CMPD says

A west Charlotte Pizza Hut employee is on leave after shooting and killing a man police said was trying to rob the restaurant early Sunday morning.

Police identified the would-be thief as 28-year-old Michael Grace.

Investigators said that just before 1:40 a.m. three people tried to break into the Pizza Hut on Freedom Drive.

>> Read more trending stories

Officers said that the employee fired his personal handgun at Grace, who died at the scene.

Police found the gun they said Grace was carrying when he was shot at the scene.

The two other intruders ran away and have not yet been found.

Pizza Hut released the following statement following the shooting:

"The local Pizza Hut franchise is fully cooperating with the Charlotte Police Department as they continue their investigation, but want to stress that the security of its staff is of utmost concern. They are providing support to the team members involved to ensure their health and well-being following this incident. The employee involved in the shooting has been placed on a leave of absence following further review."

No customers were at the restaurant at the time.

Police have not determined if the employee will face any charges.

WSOC checked with Pizza Hut's corporate office on their policy for an employee carrying a weapon. A spokesman said it varies by franchise, but has not responded with the policy for the Freedom Drive location.

Girl suffers severe burns doing popular DIY science project

Published: Monday, March 27, 2017 @ 1:31 PM

An 11-year-old Massachusetts girl suffered second- and third-degree burns this month after being exposed to an ingredient in a popular do-it-yourself science project for children.

Siobhan Quinn, of Rockland, is speaking out about the danger after her daughter, Kathleen, was burned making homemade slime, or “gak,” that is popular with science-minded children, WCVB in Boston reported. Quinn said she was happy when her daughter decided to do something educational.

“I thought it was great,” Quinn told the news station. “I encouraged it, bought all the stuff. And when they were gone, I bought more. She was being a little scientist.”

Kathleen’s foray into science came with a painful price. The girl was at a sleepover the weekend of March 18 when she woke up in agonizing pain. 

“It felt, like, really hot and tingly,” Kathleen told WCVB

The next day, a weeping Kathleen had ugly and painful blisters all over her fingers. Quinn took her to Shriners Hospital for Children in Boston, where she was diagnosed with the burns. 

Doctors told Quinn the burns were the result of prolonged exposure to Borax. 

>> Read more trending stories

Borax, a detergent and household cleaner, consists of sodium tetraborate, a mineral used in a number of household products. With a low toxicity, Borax is considered relatively safe and is used in recipes for natural cleaners. 

It is also one of the main ingredients in multiple recipes for homemade slime or “gak” found online. 

Quinn said other mothers have told her that their children have used Borax to make slime “a million times” with no ill effects. 

“We made it a million times, too, and nothing happened,” Quinn told WCVB

The concerned mother is not the first to speak out about the dangers of making homemade slime. Rebekha D’Stephano of Manchester, England, told the Manchester Evening News earlier this month that her 10-year-old daughter, Deejay Jemmett, suffered chemical burns to her hands after making “unicorn slime.” 

Though the recipe Deejay found online called for Borax, it is not easy to find in the United Kingdom because it can cause eye irritation or damage a person’s fertility, the Evening News reported. Deejay used a laundry detergent instead.

“Within 48 hours, her skin had started to peel off,” D’Stephano told the newspaper. “From there it got worse.”

Deejay’s chemical burns got her a referral to a plastic surgeon, her mother said. 

Both mothers have shared their stories in the hopes of making parents more aware of what can happen when making the concoction. D’Stephano said that the videos her daughter found on YouTube showing how to make slime bore no safety warnings.

Quinn said she feels ‘terrible” after watching Kathleen suffer through the burns, which caused her to miss a week of school.  

“I feel like the worst mother,” she said

YouTube also has multiple videos on making slime without the use of Borax. 

Mom dressed as a dad to take daughter to dance, but school said stay home

Published: Monday, March 27, 2017 @ 11:08 PM

Amy Peterson’s daughter Gracie had been getting teased at school for not having a father. 

>> Read more trending news 

“She had one kid tell her she didn’t have a dad because she’s fat and ugly,” the Henry County mother told told WSB-TV.

So when the daughter-father dance rolled around, Peterson got the idea to dress up as a father and go to the dance, she told the news station. 

“(Gracie) was OK with it,” she said, “She was excited that her friends were going to get to see this.” 

They even posted a photo of what Peterson would look like taking her daughter to the dance. 


But an hour before the two were set to leave, Peterson got a phone call from the Locust Grove Elementary School principal telling her she couldn’t go. 

“She said: ‘No I forbid you to come and if you show up we will turn you away,’” she told WSB-TV. 

Peterson had no choice but to tell her 6-year-old daughter they couldn’t go. 

The news was just as painful for her as it was for her daughter. 


“I identify myself as her father and mother because that’s what I’ve done for six years,” she said. 

In a statement to WSB-TV, Henry County school officials said administrators spoke to Peterson in advance about the dance and said she was told in a dance announcement that any father figure could attend in lieu of a father. 

“The school is cognizant that different dynamics exist across households in our school system,” officials said in the statement. “Anyone with a question as to the requirements or specifics of any school extracurricular event is encouraged to reach out to a school official or teacher. There are multiple parent engagement events and opportunities to participate with their kids annually at this school in an effort to make that connection and build school spirit.” 

The school also holds a mother-son dance and a sweethearts dance for Valentine’s Day. 

The school also offered to refund Peterson her $20 and made an apology. 

Still, Peterson thinks more could have been done. 

“I think they handled it poorly,” she told WSB-TV. “They shouldn’t have turned any parent away.”

Related

Mar 27, 2017 - 11:08 PM

Animal lovers band together to give cat a full nine lives after fire

Published: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 @ 8:21 AM

Animal lovers band together to give cat a full nine lives after fire

Local animal lovers are banding together to help save a cat rescued from a north Tulsa fire.

Officials say three cats and a dog died in the fire near North Xenophon Avenue and West Seminole Street Sunday night.

Firefighters say that when they pulled Fuego the cat out of the fire, he wasn’t breathing either.

>> Read more trending news

They put an oxygen mask on Fuego and revived him.

A neighbor reached out through the "Tulsa PAWS" Facebook group when crews took Fuego to an emergency veterinarian where he could receive care.

Within just a few hours, PAWS members on Facebook donated enough money to ensure that Fuego would receive the treatment he needs through the week.

Fuego suffered severe smoke inhalation, burns on the pads of his feet and a burn to his cornea.

He is recovering well.

PAWS is still collecting money to pay for the cat’s ongoing care.

The owners will have an opportunity to take over his medical care if they want to continue to own Fuego, but if not, PAWS will find the cat a home.

All of the human residents who lived in the home were able to make it out of the home.

Investigators have not been able to determine what caused the fire, but they say a fire burned at the same home within the last few years.

Man reportedly kills three teens with AR-15 during Oklahoma home invasion attempt

Published: Monday, March 27, 2017 @ 9:20 PM

Three teens are dead after an alleged home invasion attempt reportedly ended in a shooting Monday.

It happened in the Wagoner County part of Broken Arrow, Oklahoma.

>> Read more trending news 

According to officials with the Wagoner County Sheriff's Office, three masked people broke into the house through the back door with the intent of burglarizing the home. 

Officials say the homeowner's young adult son killed all three with an AR-15.

Though they initially believed the son was 19, they now say he may be in his early 20s.

The homeowner was also home, but officials say he was not involved in the shooting.