breaking news


Trump getting bad reviews over Puerto Rico visit, saying damage wasn’t ‘a real catastrophe’

Published: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 @ 7:20 PM

Trump Getting Bad Reviews Over Puerto Rico Visit

During a briefing with officials in Puerto Rico Tuesday, President Donald Trump said the U.S. territory has “thrown our budget a little out of whack,” and told officials they should be “proud” that the death toll wasn’t as high as Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

>> Read more trending news

Trump said the storm damage in Puerto Rico wasn’t “a real catastrophe like Katrina” because the confirmed death toll is 16 so far, compared to the thousands who perished in Hurricane Katrina, Trump said

Trump also criticized local officials for being unprepared, while praising the federal response.

The trip comes amid harsh criticism against Trump and his administration for what many have said was a slow response to the disaster.

Beyond disapproval about the timeline of his Puerto Rico trip, several pundits and other have taken aim at the president’s visit to the devastated country, with many calling his behavior and comments during the briefing “inappropriate” and “ridiculous.”

>> Related: Puerto Rico needs your help — Where to donate your money, how to volunteer and more

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) spoke to a crowd of reporters Tuesday about Trump’s visit, saying, “Mr. President, enough. Stop blaming Puerto Rico for the storm that devastated their shores, and roll up your sleeves and get the recovery on track. That’s your job as president.”

San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz, who criticized Trump for a slow response to send aid, also said in an interview with CNN that Trump sometimes “spouts” comments “that really hurt the people of Puerto Rico.”

But Cruz later tweeted that she believes the trip helped the White House staff understand the situation in Puerto Rico.

According to the New York Times, more than 50 of Puerto Rico’s roughly 65 hospitals are running on generators as much of the island territory continues without basic amenities and power.

And reports by FEMA found only 50 percent of Puerto Rico currently has access to clean drinking water.

Police warn of 'HITMAN' text scam

Published: Friday, October 20, 2017 @ 9:16 AM



WPXI.com
(WPXI.com)

A text message scam known as "HITMAN" has been affecting Pennsylvania and other surrounding states

Whitehall police put out a warning after someone reported receiving a text message from an unknown sender claiming he was hired to kill her but wished to spare her life.

>> Read more trending news

Replying to the text message will let scammers know they've reached a live person, according to police. They will then start sending the victim personal information, such as children's names or work addresses, in hopes of receiving money from them.

Police say that all of that information is easily accessed through the internet and does not add to the threat.

If you receive one of these text messages, police say the best thing to do is ignore it.

You can also file a complaint with FBI-Internet Crime Complaint Center.

Adorable CIA bomb-sniffing puppy retires early

Published: Friday, October 20, 2017 @ 9:08 AM



CIA/Twitter
(CIA/Twitter)

An adorable 18-month-old black Labrador named Lulu retired from the CIA Wednesday

Lulu, who was in the fall 2017 puppy class, was learning how to detect explosive odors, but the job just wasn’t for her. So, she dropped from the program, according to the Central Intelligence Agency

>> Photos: Palm Beach County police K9s

“Lulu was no longer interested in searching for explosives. Even when they could motivate her with food and play to search, she was clearly not enjoying herself,” the CIA said. “Our trainers’ top concern is the physical and mental well-being of our dogs, so they made the extremely difficult decision to do what’s best for Lulu and drop her from the program.”

>> Boynton police therapy dog gets cake, anniversary party

When dogs retire or drop from the program, their handlers get the option to adopt them, which happened with Lulu.

>> Read more trending news

Now the pup is spending her day sniffing out rabbits and squirrels instead of bombs. She also gets to eat snacks from dog dishes and chill with her new buddy, Harry. 

>> Meet Justice, the newest, furry cop in Gardens

“We’ll miss Lulu, but this was the right decision for her,” the CIA said. “We wish her all the best in her new life.”

7-year-old girl 'traumatized' after having head shaved at state-run program

Published: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 10:49 PM

Girl Has Head Shaved At State-Run Camp

A mom is furious after she found out her 7-year-old daughter’s head was shaved clean at a state-run program for kids with behavioral needs.

>> Read more trending news

Denise Robinson’s daughter Tru lives at Little Heroes Home in Dracut, Massachusetts. The biracial girl used to have long locks, but Robinson said the haircut was made without permission and now her is dealing with trauma from the ordeal in addition to a hairless head.

“I feel like my daughter was assaulted and violated,” Robinson said. “They made a game out of it while they were cutting her hair, and after they cut her hair, then they told her oh, it will grow back straight don’t worry.”

That is troubling to Robinson who says aside from her daughter not wanting the haircut, the message is out of line.

“I’m not afraid to say it and talk about the elephant in the room, I believe it’s a biracial matter and by shaving her head close they were somehow implying that straighter hair is better than dread, curly hair,” attorney Richard Kendall said.

Since it happened early this week, Robinson says nobody at Little Heroes Home answered her questions about why it happened, except to say they have authority to cut hair without permission for hygiene purposes. 

“There was no head lice, there was no bedbugs, there was no Rasta locks was going on. Her hair was two ponytails on the side on Saturday, it was braided in the ponytails, there was nothing wrong with her hair,” she said.

It’s left Robinson not just upset, but wondering what else is going on at this state-run program that parents don’t know about.

“What are they doing to these kids?” she said.

WFXT reached out to the Department of Children and Families to ask if it was investigating the issue, officials wouldn’t comment due to privacy issues. 

Little Heroes Group Home did send a statement regarding what happened, saying in part: “We cannot provide any information about any individual served by the program under federal and state law. A review of the circumstances is underway to determine what occurred and, if necessary, appropriate action will be taken.”

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s relationship may have hit another milestone

Published: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 3:05 PM

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Make Spotted Showing PDA

Prince Harry reportedly took his girlfriend of 15 months to Buckingham Palace for a private tea with Queen Elizabeth II, according to reports.

On Thursday, the Daily Mail reported that Harry and Meghan Markle arrived to the Palace in a Ford Galaxy with blacked-out windows last week. When they arrived, they were “whisked up to the Queen’s private sitting room” for a one hour-long meeting.

Following the meeting, Prince Harry accepted a posthumous award honoring his late mother and her activism with HIV/AIDS.

RELATED: Sources say Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will make a big announcement soon

PEOPLE reports that the rumored meeting is significant since Harry is the fifth in line to the throne (he will be moved to sixth in line once Prince William and Duchess Catherine’s third child is born in April). Since he is still in the succession, he must get permission from the monarch to marry.

>> Read more trending news 

Though, there are rumors that Markle previously met with the queen during a visit to Balmoral Castle in Scotland.

“If Harry asks for something, she would say yes as she adores him,” a source said of the queen’s love for her grandson.

The couple went public with their love when Markle attended Harry’s Invictus Games in Toronto. The lovebirds were spotted holding hands and being affection as they took in some of the sporting events together.

Reps at Kensington Palace and Buckingham Palace have not yet commented on the rumor of Markle’s private tea with the queen.