Teen pregnancies reach lowest point since 1940

Published: Friday, September 06, 2013 @ 1:01 PM
Updated: Friday, September 06, 2013 @ 1:01 PM

Encouraging news from the CDC as the teen birth rate hits a record low after years of decline.

The birth rate for American teens fell to 29.4 births per 1,000 in 2012 — a six percent drop from 2011, alone. Data shows it fell for all ethnic groups. (Via WEWS)

To put that into perspective, the report finds it’s the lowest rate in 73 years. That’s how long the government has been keeping track of teen births. (Via WBTV)

A lot of the progress has been made in the last few years. The birth rate in 2007 was 41.5 births per 1,000 teenage girls — falling almost 30 percent in the last five years. (Via NBC)

Data shows the teen birth rate has been cut in half since 1991, something doctors consider an encouraging trend. (Via WRTV)

A spokesman for the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy told USA Today the number is a sign of more kids simply being safe.

“It really is this magic formula of less sex and more contraception that has driven the rates down … More kids are delaying sex … and the kids who are having sex are using contraception more consistently and carefully.”

This comes at the same time the overall birth rate has hit a bit of a plateau. The Daily Mail reports it has fallen in the last year for women in their 20s, but has gone up slightly for women in their 30s and 40s.

The Wall Street Journal explains the birth rate starting to make a slow turnaround is a sign the economy is doing the same thing. The birth rate plummeted as the economy plunged in 2007 and 2008.

While the trend in teen births is going in the right direction, a spokeswoman with the American Academy of Pediatrics says, with more than 300,000 teen births last year, there’s still plenty of work to be done.

- See more at Newsy.com.  

Megachurch pastors Joel and Victoria Osteen criticized for throwing ‘Hook ‘Em’ hand sign

Published: Monday, May 22, 2017 @ 5:16 PM

DALLAS, TX - AUGUST 30:  Pastors Victoria Osteen and Joel Osteen speak during MegaFest at the American Airlines Center on August 30, 2013 in Dallas, Texas.  (Photo by Cooper Neill/Getty Images)
Cooper Neill/Getty Images

Thousands of students graduated this past weekend from the University of Texas at Austin, flooding social media with photos of proud new alumni and their families.

>> Read more trending news

For most parents, documenting the occasion with a photo means throwing up the “Hook ’em Horns” hand sign, too, usually without much fuss. But when your parents are the first couple of televangelism, a spirited hand gesture can take on a whole other meaning. 

>> Photos: Longhorns arriving for UT graduation ceremony May 20 

Joel Osteen and his wife, Victoria, draw thousands every week to their massive Lakewood Church in Houston, and millions tune in from across the globe to watch. The pair also head a massive multi-million dollar empire stemming from book deals and tours. Their son, Jonathan, recently graduated from UT, and he posed with each of his parents for a pretty common photo taken during commencement weekend: the graduate and his mom and dad both making the “Hook ’em Horns” hand sign. 

Donald Trump reportedly asked NSA and director of national intelligence to undermine FBI’s investigation

Published: Monday, May 22, 2017 @ 11:30 PM

Director of National Intelligence Daniel Coats, National Security Agency Director Adm. Michael Rogers testifiy before the Senate Intelligence Committee in the Hart Senate Office Building on Capitol Hill May 11, 2017 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)
Alex Wong/Getty Images

President Donald Trump sought to have Director of National Intelligence Daniel Coats and National Security Agency Director Adm. Michael Rogers publicly discredit the FBI’s investigation into Russian ties to his campaign by denying the existence of any evidence of collusion.

That’s according to current and former intelligence officials who spoke to The Washington Post.

On March 20, former FBI Director James Comey confirmed under oath to the House Intelligence Committee that there was an ongoing FBI investigation into ties between the Trump campaign and Russian interests.

>> Read more trending news

That, say intelligence officials, kicked off a series of attempts by Trump to have Coats and Rogers step forward to publicly undercut the investigation. Both believed the requests to be highly improper and did not cooperate, according to intelligence.

At least one of the conversations — with NSA Director Rogers — was documented in a memorandum retained by the NSA. The Washington Post reports that NSA officials are prepared to make it available to House and Senate committees investigating the issue as well as former FBI Director Robert Mueller’s investigation.

This news comes on the same day that former White House National Security Advisor Michael Flynn invoked his Fifth Amendment rights by refusing to provide documents requested by the Senate Intelligence Committee.

When reached for comment, a White House spokesperson told The Washington Post, “The White House does not confirm or deny unsubstantiated claims based on illegal leaks from anonymous individuals.”

Manchester explosion: Here’s what we know about the victims

Published: Monday, May 22, 2017 @ 11:31 PM

Armed police stand guard at Manchester Arena after reports of an explosion at the venue during an Ariana Grande gig  in Manchester, England Monday, May 22, 2017. Police says there are

Authorities continue  to sort out what happened Monday night when a man who police believe was a suicide bomber detonated an explosive device outside an arena in Manchester, England,

The explosion happened moments after the conclusion of a concert by pop star Ariana Grande.

At least 19 have been confirmed dead and nearly 60 injured as of 10 p.m. ET.

Here's what we know now about some of the victims:

Manchester attack: 2 backup dancers from Ohio, 2 Ohio State students safe

Published: Monday, May 22, 2017 @ 10:18 PM

Brian and Scott Nicholson, CONTRIBUTED PHOTO WOIO-TV

Two of Ariana Grande’s backup dancers from Strongsville, Ohio are safe following a deadly attack at a concert in Manchester, U.K. on Monday. Also, two Ohio State University students currently studying in Manchester are also safe, school officials told CBS affiliate WOIO-TV in Cleveland.  

MANCHESTER CONCERT ATTACK: At least 19 killed after explosion at Ariana Grande concert

Family members said in a Facebook post the dancers, Brian and Scott Nicholson, checked in with their mother and are safe, the station reports. The family member also asked for people to pray for victims of the attack. 

Citing school officials, two Ohio State students studying abroad in Manchester this week have also checked in safe, WOIO-TV reports. It was not indicated if the students were at the concert. 

We’ll update this page as we learn more. 

For updates and more news click here to download our free apps.