CLOSINGS AND DELAYS:

Alter High School, Ascension School, BSF Dayton Day Women, Jefferson Township Local Schools, Kettering City Schools, L&M Products Inc., Liberty High School, Mont. Co. E.S.C. Learning Centers, Moraine Seniors Citizens Club, Ron West Barber College, Senior Center of Sidney/Shelby Co., Sidney City Schools, Sidney Holy Angels, Southeastern Local Schools, St. Albert the Great School, St. Charles Elementary, Wilmington City Schools,

Ex-'teacher of the year' gets 10 years in prison for hosting teen sex parties

Published: Thursday, August 10, 2017 @ 8:12 AM

Jared Anderson
San Antonio Police Department
Jared Anderson(San Antonio Police Department)

A former Texas teacher accused of hosting teen sex parties has been sentenced to 10 years in prison.

According to the San Antonio Express-News, Jared Anderson, 29, was still a new teacher at Judson High School near San Antonio when he was arrested last year after authorities caught wind of allegations that he was hosting sex parties for teen boys at his home. Anderson also was a local church leader, and, according to a San Antonio police spokesman, the incidents were first reported to church officials, who then called Child Protective Services. KSAT reported in March 2016, when Anderson was first arrested, that seven teens were interviewed, and all of them “gave statements about the illegal and lewd activities.”

>> Woman, 38, sentenced to prison time for sex with teen boys

On Tuesday, Anderson appeared in court and was sentenced to 10 years in prison. He pleaded guilty to four counts of sexual performance by a child and two counts of indecency with a child by exposure. According to the Express-News, the former teacher could have been sentenced to 20 years in prison, but his lawyer negotiated a plea deal. Anderson’s attorney also reportedly asked the judge to consider probation, but that request was denied.

According to KSAT, San Antonio Police Department spokesman Jesse Salame said in March 2016 that the teacher “hosted several sex parties.” Police said Anderson called one of the parties, which occurred on Feb. 12, 2016, “Bro’s Night.” Salame also said the events “involved anywhere from seven to 12 boys, ranging in ages from 15 to 17, maybe one or two 18-year-olds."

>> Florida teacher accused of sexually abusing, grooming 8 students

According to WOAI, Anderson even had a sign on the door reading, “The last one to strip naked loses.”

Police have not said whether or not the boys were students at Judson High School. 

When investigators confronted Anderson, he admitted to the allegations and claimed that he’d apologized to the parents of the teens via text message, police said.

>> Read more trending news

Anderson reportedly taught English at the high school for roughly a year. When his crimes came to light, school officials were forced to recall yearbooks to remove the page naming Anderson as “teacher of the year.”

KSAT reported that neighbors were taken aback by the allegations. One man who lives near Anderson said, “He’s always out playing with his wife and kids and the other neighbors’ kids."

Flu outbreak forces an entire school district in Oklahoma to cancel classes for rest of week

Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 1:33 AM

Universal Vaccine Could Work On Viruses, End Annual Flu Shots

An entire Oklahoma school district canceled classes Wednesday through Friday after schools reported excessive flu absences among much of the staff.

>> Read more trending news 

Morris Public Schools said Monday's absences were at 20 percent, and Tuesday's were at more than 30 percent.

Basketball teams will continue competition in the county tournament.

Wrestlers will need to contact the coach about scheduled meets.

The district asks that ill students stay home when school resumes.

The Reason the Flu Shot Didn’t Work Half the Time During Last Year’s Flu Season

Washington State University quarterback Tyler Hilinski found dead with apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound

Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 12:06 AM

TUCSON, AZ - OCTOBER 28:  Quarterback Tyler Hilinski #3 of the Washington State Cougars looks to make a pass in the second half of the game against the Arizona Wildcats at Arizona Stadium on October 28, 2017 in Tucson, Arizona. The Arizona Wildcats won 58-37.  (Photo by Jennifer Stewart/Getty Images)
Jennifer Stewart/Getty Images
TUCSON, AZ - OCTOBER 28: Quarterback Tyler Hilinski #3 of the Washington State Cougars looks to make a pass in the second half of the game against the Arizona Wildcats at Arizona Stadium on October 28, 2017 in Tucson, Arizona. The Arizona Wildcats won 58-37. (Photo by Jennifer Stewart/Getty Images)(Jennifer Stewart/Getty Images)

Police in Pullman, Washington, say officers have found Washington State University quarterback Tyler Hilinkski dead Tuesday in an apartment with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. 

>> Read more trending news

At about 4:30 p.m., officers responded to an apartment to check on the welfare of a football player who did not show up for practice earlier in the day. 

When officers arrived, they found Hilinkski, 21, deceased with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. 

Police said a rifle was recovered next to Hilinski and a note was found. 

Washington State president Kirk Schulz tweeted, “Our thoughts and prayers are with the Hilinski family.”

Former Washington State linebackers coach Roy Manning, who recently left for a position at UCLA, tweeted , “Words can’t describe what I’m feeling right now. My heart is beyond saddened. Please pray for the family and all of us affected!”

Hilinski, from Claremont, Calif., recently finished his redshirt sophomore season for the Cougars.

He started in place of Senior Luke Falk in the Cougars loss to Michigan State in the Holiday Bowl. 

Hilinski played 11 games in his Cougars career, passing for 1,149 yards and seven touchdowns.

Hilinski was the presumptive starting quarterback going into next season. 

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Haitians under protected status call on administration to process work permits

Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 11:47 PM

Haitian and American flags(Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
Joe Raedle/Getty Images
Haitian and American flags(Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)(Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

Thousands of Haitians living in Central Florida said they're just days away from being forced out of their jobs.

>> Read more trending news

Many of those worried are workers at Disney World.

They were granted Temporary Protected Status after an earthquake devastated their country in 2010.

They’re now finding out their jobs are in limbo, because their work authorizations are about to expire and new applications aren't being processed.

The change affects more than 500 workers at Disney, many of whom have families and homes in Central Florida.

In October, dozens of Haitians marched through the streets of Pine Hills, calling on the Trump administration to renew their TPS.

Many were facing the possibility of being forced to leave the country before the administration extended TPS until July of 2019 for more than 50,000 Haitians living and working in the U.S.

But now, they're facing another dilemma.

Wilna Destin has lived in Orlando 18 years.

She's married with two children and she has no idea what will happen next week when her and her husband's work authorization permits expire.

"That hurts, you know. It hurts your family,” she said.

TPS workers in Central Florida said they've learned the administration is not even processing their work authorization applications, which they need to stay employed.

Sano Leger, a union representative, said it affects workers all through the tourist corridor.

"Most of those big hotels, they have people who have TPS working in there,” he said.

The Disney unions are planning a rally Thursday afternoon outside the crossroads entrance to Disney to bring attention to their dilemma and to demand that the Trump administration allow Haitian TPS holders to work.

Man accused of taking manhole covers, replacing them with traffic cones

Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 2:56 PM

Man Accused Of Using Traffic Cones To Replace Manhole Covers

A Massachusetts man has been accused of taking manhole covers from roads across the town.

Police in Webster said he was kind enough, however, to cover the empty holes -- which measure from 4 to 12 feet deep -- with traffic cones so no one would run over them in their cars, The Worcester, Massachusetts, Telegram reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Darrin Lavallee now faces larceny charges, the paper reported.

Police were called by several eyewitnesses, who said they saw a man in a PT Cruiser taking the manhole covers. Eventually police found a car that matched the vehicle’s description and found orange cones inside. Police told The Telegram that the covers had been in the car recently.

Lavallee apparently told police that the manhole covers ended up at a local salvage yard, where police said he sold them, The Telegram reported. Police were able to recover the pilfered covers.