log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 @ 3:03 PM
Updated: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 @ 3:18 PM
An investigation of Whole Foods stores in New York City uncovered "systemic" overcharging of its customers who purchased pre-packaged foods.
The city's Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) said Wednesday 89 percent of the food packaging it tested during the fall of 2014 were not in line with federal standards for the maximum amount "that an individual package can deviate from the actual weight," the Daily News reported.
The overcharging dates back to 2010, according to the investigation.
"The overcharges were especially prevalent in packages that had been labeled with exactly the same weight when it would be practically impossible for all the packages to weigh the same amount. These products included nuts and other snack products (flavored almonds, pecan panko and corn nuts), berries, vegetables, and seafood," the agency said.
Inspectors weighed 80 different package types at eight different locations, and found all had mislabeled weights.
A Whole Foods spokesperson, Michael Sinatra, denied that the company had done anything improper, saying the chain "never intentionally used deceptive practices to incorrectly charge customers."
The investigation comes after Whole Foods agreed to pay $800,000 in fines for a similar problem in California, the Daily News reported.
Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 5:20 PM
PITTSBURGH, Penn. — Pittsburgh police are searching for a thief who held up a bank wearing a woman’s dress, a purple scarf and hat and sunglasses.
Police say the thief robbed a local bank Thursday morning around 10:30 and made off with an undisclosed amount of cash.
Authorities are asking for the public’s help in finding the suspected thief.
They’re asking anyone with information to call the FBI.
Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 1:33 PM
— National Rifle Association Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre took the opportunity to slam Democrats Thursday during a speech at the 2018 Conservative Political Action Conference meeting, saying they only “want more restrictions on the law-abiding.”
"They want to sweep right under the carpet the failure of school security,” LaPierre said, a week after 17 people were killed in a school shooting in Parkland, Florida.
LaPierre told the audience that the NRA stood ready to provide guidance to schools free of charge on how to protect students. He took another dig at the Democrats and one at the news media saying what the NRA offered was “more” than anyone else has.
"We share a goal of safe schools, safe neighborhoods and a safe country," LaPierre said.
Later he told the crowd gathered at the annual meeting for conservatives that, "Evil walks among us” when speaking about school shootings.
Just minutes before LaPierre spoke, President Donald Trump tweeted that he supports the NRA and the work LaPierre is doing.
"What many people don't understand, or don't want to understand, is that Wayne, Chris and the folks who work so hard at the @NRA are Great People and Great American Patriots. They love our Country and will do the right thing. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!"
Who is Wayne LaPierre? Here are a few things you may not know about him.
Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 5:11 PM
— National Rifle Association Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre addressed the Conservative Political Action Conference on Thursday.
Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 4:56 PM
— Officials with the National Rifle Association on Wednesday voiced opposition to any legislation aimed at raising the minimum age needed to buy certain rifles amid a renewed gun debate following last week’s deadly school shooting in Florida.
In a statement obtained by The Hill, NRA spokeswoman Jennifer Baker said the focus should be on keeping guns out of the hands of “violent criminals and the dangerously mentally ill.”
“Passing a law that makes it illegal for a 20-year-old to purchase a shotgun for hunting or adult single mother from purchasing the most effective self-defense rifle on the market punishes law-abiding citizens for the evil acts of criminals,” she said.
The group argued that raising the minimum age would deprive people between the ages of 18 and 20 of “their constitutional right to self-protection.”
Authorities said Nikolas Cruz, the 19-year-old identified by police as the gunman in last week’s shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, legally bought the AR-15 rifle he used to gun down 14 students and three teachers. He has been charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder.
The current federal minimum age for buying or possessing handguns is 21, but the limit is 18 for rifles, including assault-type weapons such as the AR-15.
Officials with the NRA did not address the possibility of raising the minimum age Thursday while speaking at the Conservative Political Action Conference. However, President Donald Trump endorsed the idea during a school safety discussion Thursday with state and local leaders from across the nation, The Associated Press reported.
"We're going to work on getting the age up to 21 instead of 18," Trump said. "The NRA will back it and so will Congress.”
Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Arizona, said in a tweet Wednesday that he was working with Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-California, on a bipartisan bill to raise the minimum gun purchase age for most Americans to 21 years old.
“A kid too young (to) buy a handgun should be too young to buy an #AR15,” he wrote.
A kid too young buy a handgun should be too young to buy an #AR15. Working with @SenFeinstein on a bipartisan bill that will raise the minimum purchase age for non-military buyers from 18 to 21 - the same age you currently have to be to purchase a handgun.— Jeff Flake (@JeffFlake) February 21, 2018