breaking news


South Florida police offer free 'Cane Fu' self-defense class for seniors

Published: Friday, January 06, 2017 @ 5:49 AM
Updated: Friday, January 06, 2017 @ 5:49 AM

Police in a South Florida city will teach local senior citizens how to defend themselves with their canes and walkers during a free, nine-week “Cane Fu” course that begins Jan. 17.

>> Read more trending stories

The weekly “Cane Fu” self-defense class sponsored by the Boca Raton Police Department will teach senior citizens observation skills, how to avoid confrontation, the right way to respond to a suspicious or dangerous situation and — as the name implies — how to use a walking stick or cane for self-defense when necessary.

"All of our participants see improvements in balance, mobility, strength and most of all their confidence," Officer Gwynne Friters said in a video highlighting course released by the police department last year.

The cane self-defense skills that will be taught include strikes, jabs and blocks, founded on martial arts principles.

Boca Raton Police teach "Cane Fu" to seniors

Officers from the Boca Raton Police Services Department Crime Prevention Unit will be conducting a FREE, 9-week Senior Self-Defense class using canes to learn fundamental defensive tactics.  “Cane Fu” takes place in the auditorium of the Police/Fire Training Facility at 6500 Congress Ave in Boca Raton from 9:30AM-10:30AM beginning Monday January 25, 2016.  Participants will develop skills to help them decrease the odds of being targeted, and prepare them for what to do in the event they are attacked.
Officers will guide participants through the proper steps of complying, using one's voice under stress to summon help, and ultimately defending themselves if necessary.  
Participants will benefit from improved endurance, mobility, balance, and physical strength, as well as heightened observational skills.  All members of our community, especially seniors, are invited to attend Cane Fu.  People of all activity levels can participate, but you must be able to stand.  All participants will receive a Certificate of Completion at the conclusion of the course.
Please register for Cane Fu by contacting the Crime Prevention Hotline at 561-347-3938 by Wednesday January 20, 2016.  Please bring your cane to class, if you have one!
Classes are planned for:Jan 25Feb 1Feb 8Feb 15 Holiday No ClassFeb 22Feb 29Mar 7Mar 14Mar 21 No ClassMar 28Apr 4th

Posted by Boca Raton Police Services Department on Thursday, January 21, 2016

Wisconsin boy burned after park slide 'explodes'

Published: Saturday, June 24, 2017 @ 7:39 AM

Playground slide.
Steven Gottlieb/Corbis via Getty Images

A Wisconsin boy suffered second-degree burns on a slide in a park, WISN reported.

>> Read more trending news

The family of Giuseppe Storniolo, 9, of West Allis, said the slide “exploded” after spontaneously bubbling.

“I was about to get off and it just started to happen and it came up shaking,” Storniolo said. “I never saw any cracks on it or no holes. But I don’t know what happened.”

West Allis Mayor Dan Devine said city officials contacted the slide’s manufacturer, Landscape Structures, and removed the slide from the park, WISN reported.

“I have never seen -- and I don’t know of anybody who has seen -- anything like that before,” Devine said.

A Landscape Structures spokesman told WISN that company officials were aware of the incident and were investigating.

Woman shaken after flying piece of wood on highway smashes windshield

Published: Saturday, June 24, 2017 @ 9:07 AM



Boston 25 via Tori Gaucher/Facebook

Images shared on social media show how a Massachusetts woman narrowly escaped injury on the highway.

Victoria Gaucher told Boston 25 that she was driving down a highway in Taunton this week when a piece of wood flew off the truck in front of her and smashed into her car windshield.

>> Read more trending news

Luckily, she wasn’t hit and no one was injured. The long piece of wood wedged itself into the top of her windshield.

Gaucher said she’s glad her son wasn’t with her. She said the white truck didn’t stop after the wood flew off it.

Gaucher said she needed help getting the wood board removed from her car. 

London tower blocks evacuated over fire concerns

Published: Saturday, June 24, 2017 @ 6:50 AM

Police officers arrive at Burnham Tower residential block on the Chalcots Estate in north London on Saturday as residents evacuate because of fire safety concerns. 
Residents of 650 London flats were evacuated due to fire safety fears in the wake of the Grenfell Tower tragedy, but 83 people refused to leave their homes, according to local officials.
AFP Contributor/AFP/Getty Images

Thousands of residents in a north London housing complex were evacuated from their apartments Friday night after fire checks revealed the buildings were unsafe, Reuters reported.

>> Read more trending news

The checks were done in the wake of the Grenfell Tower fire on June 14.

Residents, along with their children and pets were removed from five tower blocks and headed to a local sports center to sleep on air beds, Reuters reported.

“I know it’s difficult but Grenfell changes everything,” Georgia Gould, leader of Camden Council, said in the statement. “I don’t believe we can take any risks with our residents’ safety.”

The London Fire Brigade said it had found a number of fire safety issues at the Chalcots Estate in Camden and advised residents to leave the building until they were resolved, Reuters reported.

U.S. House moves to bolster lawmaker security in wake of baseball shooting

Published: Saturday, June 24, 2017 @ 8:00 AM
Updated: Saturday, June 24, 2017 @ 8:14 AM

Responding to concerns about personal security for lawmakers after last week’s gun attack at a Congressional baseball practice, U.S. House leaders are moving to provide extra money to members for protection back home, as well as new funding to bolster the work of police and security officials on Capitol Hill.

Under a plan approved by a House spending subcommittee on Friday, the Congress would provide an extra $7.5 million next year to the Capitol Police for an “increased security posture” around the Capitol, along with $5 million to the House Sergeant at Arms to help with security for lawmakers back in their districts.

“We are taking a new fresh look at security,” said Rep. Kevin Yoder (R-KS), the Chairman of subcommittee that deals with funding for the Legislative Branch.

“The tragic events of June 14 weigh heavily on these deliberations,” said Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen (R-NJ), the Chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, which could vote on the extra money as early as this next week.

Also being put into motion is a separate plan to funnel an extra $25,000 to each member of the House – about $11 million in all – to help them increase security back in their districts.

“The scariest part for us is there used to be this impression by the public that we all had security everywhere we went,” said Rep. Tim Ryan (D-OH).

“Now, everyone knows that isn’t the case,” Ryan added, as he lent his support to the extra funding for security as well.

The money in this budget bill would not take effect until the new fiscal year – which starts October 1 – so, House leaders are ready to okay extra money immediately for members worried about security back in their districts.

Roll Call newspaper reported that could be approved in coming days by the House Administration Committee.

Yoder said Congressional leaders are also waiting to see if money raised in campaign contributions for House elections could be put to use for security as well.

“Pending an FEC (Federal Election Commission) decision, we’re also looking at whether campaign funds could be used to continue to support security upgrades at personal residences,” Yoder added.