log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Friday, May 19, 2017 @ 12:43 PM
WEST PALM BEACH — A former U.S. Secret Service agent was sentenced to 20 years in prison on Thursday after admitting he sent sexually-charged emails and nude photos of himself to a South Florida teen and other young girls from his post at the White House.
Saying Lee Robert Moore “dishonors every man and woman who has ever worn the uniform,” a federal prosecutor pushed for a life sentence in prison for the former agent and U.S. Marine, who was stripped of his high-security clearance shortly after he was arrested in late 2015 at his home in Church Hill, Maryland.
While making it clear that a life sentence would be too harsh, U.S. District Judge Daniel Hurley made it equally clear that the 15-year sentence Moore sought wasn’t sufficient to protect teens from those who prey on them on the Internet.
Moore, 38, never made physical contact with the three teens to whom he sent lewd messages while working at the White House. But, Hurley said, he was disturbed that Moore contacted his victims through a phone app that also showed him their locations. Moore also told the girls that he dreamed of meeting them for sex, sent them nude photos of himself and enticed them to send him explicit photos of themselves.
“I have great concerns about the recruitment theme (of the messages),” Hurley said. “I’m not satisfied that it was just discussion.”
Moore’s arrest and conviction is yet another black eye for the elite law enforcement agency that has been riddled with scandals. Moore was working for the agency in the Obama Administration when agents were disciplined for drinking and using prostitutes while on assignment. A year before Moore’s arrest, a security contractor with a criminal record was allowed to get on an elevator with Obama and an Iraq war veteran jumped the White House fence and made it into the East Room before he was tackled.
In emails and texts to his victims, Moore identified himself as a law enforcement agent, without saying where he worked. He told them he was bored with his job, checking identification and patrolling the White House grounds on a bicycle.
In a letter to Hurley, Moore’s wife said her husband was disappointed to be transferred back to the White House. He loved his job as a firearms instructor at the Secret Service training academy, she said.
However, Moore didn’t blame job dissatisfaction for his behavior. Instead, he said, after his two children were born, his wife was consumed with raising them. “I got lonely,” he said. “I was selfish.”
He began using the Internet for sexual gratification. “I turned to the Internet because it seemed to be a softer and safer betrayal to (my wife),” he said, choking back tears. “I was wrong.”
Further, he said, he discovered he had a dark side he didn’t know existed: He liked young girls. “I became a pervert,” he said as his wife, parents and other relatives tearfully looked on.
Ordering Moore to get psychological treatment and register as a sex offender when he is released from prison, Hurley said he didn’t believe the former officer’s actions were driven by a need for companionship. “Someone doesn’t do that just because they get lonely,” he said.
The case against Moore began when a detective with the Delaware State Police, posing as a 14-year-old girl, began exchanging emails with the agent. Eventually, law enforcement found he had been sending lewd messages to a Coconut Creek, Florida, teen for nearly two years and two other teens in Texas and Missouri. The cases filed against him in Florida and Delaware were consolidated.
In March, Moore pleaded guilty to two charges, one of enticing a minor to engage in sexual activity and another of sending obscene material to a person under the age of 16.
Hurley also acknowledged that as a former police officer and convicted child predator, Moore won’t have an easy life in prison. For his protection, he has been segregated from the general population while in the Palm Beach County Jail.
Hurley said he was hopeful federal prison officials would “take into consideration your employment and consider your safety.”
Published: Sunday, February 25, 2018 @ 5:34 AM
— If you like flavored coffee and Girl Scout Cookies, you might be in luck.
Dunkin’ Donuts has announced that by Monday, Feb. 26, it will be selling three new flavored coffees inspired by Girl Scout Cookies.
Those flavors include Thin Mints, Coconut Caramel and Peanut Butter Cookie. These flavors will not just be limited to standard coffees.
Dunkin’ Donuts said in a Friday press release that iced and hot coffee, lattes, macchiatos, frozen coffee and frozen chocolate can all have Girl Scout Cookie flavors.
Dunkin' Donuts is turning your favorite Girl Scout cookies into coffee pic.twitter.com/WyTKPaRdX0— NowThis (@nowthisnews) February 24, 2018
People on social media seem pretty excited about the news.
DUNKIN IS GETTING GIRL SCOUT FLAVORED COFFEES!!!!!— d richards 🌴 (@danamariee19) February 23, 2018
On Monday Dunkin’ Donuts will have Girl Scout cookie flavors for coffee. You’re welcome— Matt Solomon (@msolomon42) February 23, 2018
Dunkin is coming out with Girl Scout cookie coffee flavors!!!!! RIP my bank account— nat (@natalie_selavka) February 23, 2018
PSA: Dunkin’ Donuts is coming out with Girl Scout inspired coffee flavors next month. Thin Mint, Samoa, and Tagalong. That is all.— navs 🍩 (@heyitsnavs) February 18, 2018
DUNKIN DONUTS ANNOUNCING GIRL SCOUT COOKIE FLAVORS IS TRULY THE MOST AMAZING THING I HAVE EVER HEARD— Gianna (@TweetingForTay) February 23, 2018
Dunkin Donuts now has peanut butter iced coffee and it tastes exactly like a peanut butter Girl Scout cookie. RT TO SAVE A LIFE.— xgiacoppox126-Vinnie (@xgiacoppox126) February 22, 2018
The girl scouts have come to Dunkin! pic.twitter.com/mKe43Vicut— Kurt Koenig (@kurt_koenig) February 22, 2018
WHAT IS THIS AMAZINGNESS?!?!?! omg i can't contain this.— Kelly Prozialeck (@kprozialeck) February 23, 2018
Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 10:56 PM
ATLANTA — Timothy Jerrell Cunningham called out of work sick at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 10 days ago and hasn’t been heard from since, police say.
His father, Terrell Cunningham, said something must be wrong.
When the 35-year-old’s parents arrived in Atlanta from Maryland, they used a spare key to enter the house and found Timothy’s car, keys, wallet and phone, WSB-TV reported.
"It's not the type of news you want to hear,” Terrell Cunningham said. “Your child is missing. Thirty-five years old, but always your child."
The father said his son is an accomplished man who graduated from Morehouse and earned a master’s degree and doctorate from Harvard University. As an epidemic intelligence officer, Timothy Cunningham has been deployed for public health emergencies, including superstorm Sandy, Ebola and Zika.
It’s unusual for him not to contact family, his father said.
"This is not normal,” Terrell Cunningham said. “This is definitely out of the ordinary."
Family and friends hope the missing man will be found safe.
Timothy Cunningham is 6 feet tall and weighs about 200 pounds. He has black hair and brown eyes.
Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to call 911.
Published: Sunday, February 25, 2018 @ 3:38 AM
ATLANTA — The family of a missing Centers for Disease Control and Prevention worker has partnered with Crime Stoppers to offer a reward for information in the case.
Timothy Cunningham, 35, was reported missing Feb. 16 after he called in sick to work Feb. 12 and has not been seen or heard from since, according to Atlanta police.
Police said Cunningham's parents went to his home and found his wallet along with several other belongings.
Police said Saturday that they have not been able to locate Cunningham, and they are asking for the public's help.
"This is an appeal to the public. Anyone who has seen Tim, or may know anything about his whereabouts, we're seeking your help in bringing Tim back safe to us," Cunningham's father, Terrel Cunningham, said.
Cunningham's family and Crime Stoppers are offering a $10,000 reward for any information that leads to an arrest and indictment in the case. Police said that at this time they do not have any evidence of foul play, but it is their practice to explore any and every possibility in a case such as this one.
Published: Sunday, February 25, 2018 @ 1:03 AM
PARKLAND, Fla. — The mother of Florida school shooting survivor David Hogg is speaking out after her family received death threats because her son and another survivor were accused of being crisis actors.
Hogg and fellow students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, have made frequent media appearances to call for action on gun control after police say Nikolas Cruz killed 17 people and injured more than a dozen others in a Valentine’s Day massacre.
The students have since become the center of a false conspiracy theory claiming that they are actually actors who are coached before television appearances.
Rebecca Boldrick, Hogg’s mother, told The Washington Post that her family has received death threats since the conspiracy theories started surfacing, saying, “I’m under so much stress.”
“I’m angry and exhausted,” she added. “Angry, exhausted and extremely proud.”
The student has said he's not a “crisis actor” but rather someone who witnessed a tragedy.