Revenge porn outlawed in California

Published: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 @ 8:27 AM
Updated: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 @ 8:27 AM

Revenge porn was apparently a big enough problem in California to make a law.

The state’s governor just signed a bill outlawing it, meaning possible jail time for spiteful exes who maliciously post naked and identifiable images of an ex online. Victims have described feeling powerless. (Via CNNKNTV)

VICTIM: “It's like you’re sitting at the bottom of a really long well and you’re screaming at the top of your lungs and no one can help you.” (Via KPHO)

The bill makes revenge porn a misdemeanor — up to six months in jail and a $1,000 fine. Do it again and the penalty doubles. (Via KFSN)

California is now the second state to criminalize revenge porn — after New Jersey — where revenge porn is actually a felony.

But California’s bill definitely had its detractors, like the American Civil Liberties Union, which argued it could restrict the right to free speech.

And if that sounds like a stretch, it was actually the same argument used in Florida — which also considered anti-revenge porn laws but ended up rejecting them.

The California bill’s author — state senator Anthony Cannella — said in a statement, “Until now, there was no tool for law enforcement to protect victims…”

Actually, a victim could sue, but that of course can take up quite a bit of time and energy. But just how big a problem revenge porn is is difficult to say, since reliable statistics are hard to come by. California’s anti-revenge porn law takes effect immediately. 

See more at Newsy.com

Crocodile spotted with dog in its mouth in Florida neighborhood

Published: Friday, February 24, 2017 @ 1:09 PM
Updated: Friday, February 24, 2017 @ 1:09 PM


            Crocodile spotted with dog in its mouth in Florida neighborhood

A viral video of a crocodile with a dog in its mouth is serving as a warning to neighborhoods in South Florida.

Coral Gables resident Christopher Carey posted the disturbing video to Facebook after the crocodile snatched the animal and dragged it underwater in a backyard marina , WTVJ reported. 

>> Read more trending stories 

It was the second dog to be attacked by a crocodile in the last few weeks, residents said. But Caution signs are posted throughout the neighborhood informing them about the crocodiles. 

"It's only a matter of time before they take a kid," a resident told WTVJ. 

Alligators and crocodiles are a threat to unsupervised dogs and children. The reptiles lurk in backyards, golf courses and national parks

Democrats select Tom Perez as DNC chair

Published: Saturday, February 25, 2017 @ 10:41 AM
Updated: Saturday, February 25, 2017 @ 3:24 PM


            Democrats select Tom Perez as DNC chair

UPDATE: After two ballots, the Democratic National Committee has selected former U.S. Labor Secretary Tom Perez as the party's new leader.

Read the original report below.

The uneasy clash between grass-roots activists and establishment figures at the Democratic National Committee meeting in Atlanta isn’t hard to spot. It’s on display at caucus meetings, panel discussions and the maneuvering behind Saturday’s vote to elect a new party leader.

And for a party struggling to find a balance between the liberal wave of outrage at Donald Trump and its leaders trying to corral that energy into electoral action, the attempts to strike a tentative truce will define their fight against the president.

It won’t be easy. Democrats of all stripes have united in a Trump “resistance” movement, but even the most outspoken elected officials struggle to match the ferocity of the Trump opposition that’s filled the streets with protesters and town hall meetings with newly energized activists.

>> Read more trending stories

And the same divisions that cleaved the party during last year’s election — namely, the progressive bloc led by Bernie Sanders supporters pitted against more mainstream party factions that supported Hillary Clinton — continues to dog Democratic leaders who desperately want to put the 2016 election behind them.

“We didn’t win, but the revolution is very much in this room,” said Winnie Wong, who co-founded the People for Bernie group and helped create the #FeeltheBern hashtag. “And you folks need to pick up the mantle. We can’t stop now, we have to do everything that we can in this party to be a part of this political revolution.”

The groundswell of frustration undercuts the other dominant theme of the three-day conference that started Thursday — a constant drumbeat of calls to unify behind a common opponent. Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed made a personal plea to Democrats to stay focused on Trump — and not their own internal fissures.

“This is going to end up being unity weekend in the city of Atlanta and unity weekend in the state of Georgia and unity weekend in the Democratic Party,” Reed said. “It’s going to be the end of that presidency of Donald Trump.”

The party has a long way to go. Republicans control the White House, both chambers of Congress and almost three dozen governor’s mansions. In Georgia, the party faces an even more daunting climb: Republicans control every statewide office and hold commanding majorities in the state Legislature.

Democratic leaders are intent on turning the explosive protests into votes, but they also risk the same wave of primary challenges and infighting that the tea party movement triggered in the GOP after Barack Obama’s 2008 election as president.

“There are people who feel like the Democratic Party has stopped listening to young people. Especially us young people,” Nelini Stamp said. “We have ideas and we’ve changed the country in the last six years. We need to work together and we need to push each other better.”

Stamp is a founder of the Resist Trump Tuesdays movement, and her organization is one of a surge of new groups that have sprung up after the November election.

Strikingly, though, one of the first targets of the group’s protest was a Democrat: Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer. Thousands of protesters wound up on the doorstep of his Brooklyn office, urging him to defy Trump at all costs.

Rita Bosworth has also not endeared herself to party leaders. After starting Sister District Project, which matches donors in deep blue districts to help candidates run in more conservative areas, she said a California Democratic official pressed her on whether she was secretly coordinating with Libertarians.

“We are trying to reconnect with the people,” said Christine Pelosi, another California activist. “People do not trust us to fight for them. They do not trust us to put their interests first. That’s what every single listening tour that all of us have gone on shows us.”

That fight is spilling over into the fight to pick the party’s next chairman. Sanders and other leaders in the party’s progressive wing are backing U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison’s bid for DNC chairman, while former U.S. Labor Secretary Thomas Perez has support from allies of Clinton’s and Obama’s.

The odds seem to favor Perez — his supporters whisper he is nearing the votes needed to win outright — but Ellison boasts an impressive network. And a dark horse contender could emerge. Pete Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Ind., hopes a late charge could make him the party’s next face.

The winner will try to bridge the divide between veteran operatives more accustomed to the halting progress of politics and newfound activists who demand immediate action and results. Xavier Becerra, California’s new attorney general, urged Democratic veterans to act more like the grass-roots demonstrators.

“Get in the way — be a hitter and be authentic and be real every day,” Becerra said. “Continuously prove to every hardworking American that we have your back.”

Some of the upstart operatives are putting the political class on notice. Andrea Litman helped start Run for Something, which encourages left-leaning candidates to run for public office, after Trump’s victory made her “angry at the system” that she said benefited older, affluent white male attorneys.

Thousands of candidates have already signed up through her website to run for higher office. And she’s more than willing to encourage them to run against contenders favored by the establishment wing.

“If we have a young progressive candidate and you have someone you picked,” she said, “we’re going to go after you.”

Kasich fights for federal health care funds

Published: Saturday, February 25, 2017 @ 3:25 PM

Gov. John Kasich met today at the White House with senior administration officials to urge them to continue funneling hundreds of millions of federal dollars to the states to finance health care for millions of low-income people who have received coverage under the 2010 health law.

With congressional Republicans hoping to scrap the health law, known as Obamacare, and replacing it with a substitute, Kasich has mounted an effort to retain a key feature that expanded eligibility for Medicaid coverage, the joint federal and state program that provides health coverage to low-income people.

Kasich was one of the few Republican governors to accept the additional federal Medicaid dollars available through Obamacare, allowing 700,000 previously uninsured low-income people in Ohio to receive health coverage.

Following a meeting today at the White House with U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price, Kasich said in a video posted on his Facebook page that he was “expressing my concerns and some of the ideas I think (that) can allow us to reform the health care system, save some money, but yet make certain that people who need coverage that they’re going to be able to receive the coverage that they need.”

“All in all a lot of work, but it’s worth it if we can have this come out in the right place,” Kasich said in the video posted by his staff. “I cannot predict the future. But we are certainly doing everything we can do.”

Kasich also joined the nation’s Republican governors at a second meeting in Washington to press for support to retain the Medicaid expansion. Kasich is one of a handful of GOP governors trying to propose a compromise to House Republicans to at least provide Medicaid coverage to families at the federal poverty line, which is $24,600 for a family of four.

A Kasich adviser would not elaborate on the meetings other than to say they were “productive.” But there was no sign today the Republican governors are ready to forge a consensus on Medicaid.

The 2010 health law extended coverage to more than 20 million Americans previously without insurance in two ways.

Middle income people who worked for companies that did not insure their employees were eligible for federal financial assistance to buy individual health plans through state and federal marketplaces, known as exchanges.

In addition, the law expanded Medicaid to allow families of four earning as much as $33,948 annually — which is 138 percent of the federal poverty level — to be eligible for health coverage. Ohio and 31 other states accepted additional federal dollars to provide for the Medicaid coverage, while 19 states did not.

But a fissure has opened between congressional Republicans and Kasich on Medicaid as well as the 2010 health law.

In a proposed bill outlined by House Republicans, GOP lawmakers want to scale back federal spending for Medicaid and eliminate federal financial assistance used by middle income people to buy private plans.

Instead, House Republicans would replace the subsidies with tax credits to allow people to buy their own plans.

In an opinion piece Friday in Forbes Magazine, Kasich suggested scaling back Medicaid coverage to families at the federal poverty line and providing federal subsidies to families of four earning between $25,000 a year to $34,000 a year so they could buy their own private plans on the federal exchanges.

Under Kasich’s plan, as many as 150,000 people in Ohio would lose their Medicaid coverage. It was unclear whether federal subsidies would allow families earning between $25,000 a year and $34,000 a year to receive the same kind of coverage that had through Medicaid.

Same boy kidnapped in 2014 returns home safely again

Published: Saturday, February 25, 2017 @ 8:06 AM
Updated: Saturday, February 25, 2017 @ 11:16 AM


            Same boy kidnapped in 2014 returns home safely again

The Atlanta Police Department has found the 12-year-old boy who was last seen leaving his home.

His mother said that Willie Myrick,12, left his home on Confederate Court at 10 p.m. Friday.

 >> Read more trending news

UPDATE: Willie Myrick has returned home safely. ______________________________________
JUST IN: The missing...

Posted by WSB-TV on Saturday, February 25, 2017

Officers immediately canvassed the area but Willie was not located on Friday. However, police successfully found him on Saturday morning. 

Willie is the same boy who was kidnapped in 2014. 

A lover of gospel music, Willie reportedly started singing the song “Every Praise” until his kidnapper threw him onto the street and drove away.

“Every praise is to our God,” the gospel song begins. “Every word of worship with one accord.”

Willie said he was afraid that the man was going to kill him. The man drove Willie around for nearly three hours, police said.

“He was cursing at me telling me to shut up and didn't want to hear a word from me," Willie said. “He said if I told anyone he would hurt me, like in a bad way.”

The boy went to several homes in that East Point neighborhood asking for help. One person actually turned him away, but an elderly man let him in and called the police and his godmother.

Willie said he was not harmed during the ordeal. His godmother said the boy was taken to a hospital for examination.