Reports: Las Vegas shooter may have researched Boston locations

Published: Thursday, October 05, 2017 @ 3:02 PM

Reports Claim Las Vegas Shooter Booked Rooms Near Lollapalooza

The Las Vegas shooter who killed nearly 60 people and wounded more than 500 at a concert Sunday reportedly researched locations in Boston.

>> Read more trending news 

According to The Associated Press, in August, 64-year-old Stephen Paddock booked a room at Chicago's Blackstone Hotel, which overlooked where the Lollapalooza music festival was being held that weekend. Officials say there was no evidence Paddock ever went to Chicago that weekend. 

>> Related: Las Vegas shooter booked rooms near Lollapalooza: Reports

Now, officials are looking into reports that Paddock also researched locations in Boston.

The Boston Police Department released the following statement:

"We are aware of the media reports referencing a Boston connection to the Las Vegas mass shooting incident that occurred on Sunday, October 1, 2017. The Boston Regional Intelligence Center is in contact with our local and federal law enforcement partners here and in Las Vegas and continues to monitor the situation. There is currently no known threat to the Metro Boston Homeland Security Region related to this incident. The LVMPD is the lead investigating agency, therefore, all further inquires should be directed to them. The BPD has and will continue to take proper security measures to protect all public venues and gatherings in the city."

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker spoke Thursday, saying, "There is no evidence of an imminent threat that has anything to do with Massachusetts." 

According to NBC News, which cited an unnamed law enforcement official, Paddock researched hotels near Fenway Park in Boston. Boston police did not confirm.

The spokesperson for the Boston Red Sox said they are stepping up security as a precaution:

"We are aware of the media reports. The FBI has requested all inquiries be referred directly to them. While there is currently no credible threat to Fenway Park, according to public safety agencies, the Red Sox have been working with city, state and federal officials on increased security measures for postseason games at Fenway Park."

There is no word on if Paddock ever actually visited Boston. 

>> Boston 25 News obtains exclusive photos of Las Vegas shooter's guns

>> Mass. lawmaker proposing ban on bump stocks in wake of Las Vegas massacre

Check for updates to this story at Boston25News.com.  

This undated photo provided by Eric Paddock shows his brother, Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock. On Sunday, Oct. 1, 2017, Stephen Paddock opened fire on the Route 91 Harvest Festival killing dozens and wounding hundreds. (Courtesy of Eric Paddock via AP)(AP)
Brianna Chambers contributed to this report.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Woman says she found worm in fish bought at Costco

Published: Saturday, February 17, 2018 @ 11:57 AM

LOS ANGELES, CA - MARCH 12:  A Costco sign is displayed on March 12, 2013 in Los Angeles, California.
Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images
LOS ANGELES, CA - MARCH 12: A Costco sign is displayed on March 12, 2013 in Los Angeles, California.(Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)

A Maryland woman says there was a live surprise in a package of fish she purchased at Costco last week.

>> Read more trending news 

Emily Rhoades Randolph said she purchased a package of fresh cod on Feb. 9 at Costco. On Monday, she recorded video of what appears to be a worm wriggling around a corner of the sealed package and posted it on her Facebook page on Wednesday. The sell-by date on the package is the same day she recorded the video, according to Randolph.

Randolph said in the Facebook post that when she returned the contaminated fish to Costco, the clerk at the seafood counter commented that another customer had returned salmon with worms in it. Randolph said she did not receive an apology for the incident.

Randolph shared the incident to warn others to check their food.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Melania Trump breaks with tradition again after new affair allegations

Published: Friday, February 16, 2018 @ 8:27 PM

WASHINGTON, DC - SEPTEMBER 10:  (AFP OUT) First lady Melania Trump looks as US President Donald Trump is reflected in her glasses. (Photo by Olivier Douliery-Pool/Getty Images)
Pool/Getty Images
WASHINGTON, DC - SEPTEMBER 10: (AFP OUT) First lady Melania Trump looks as US President Donald Trump is reflected in her glasses. (Photo by Olivier Douliery-Pool/Getty Images)(Pool/Getty Images)

Once again, first lady Melania Trump gave off the impression that all is not well in her marriage to President Donald Trump when she broke presidential protocol on Friday following a report alleging the president had an affair with former Playboy Playmate Karen McDougal.

>> Read more trending news

As the Trumps headed to Florida to meet with the victims of this week’s mass shooting at a high school, they began the journey separately. While it’s tradition for the couple to cross the White House lawn to Marine One together, Mrs. Trump decided to forgo the usual walk and instead drove separately to Andrews Air Force Base. She arrived in a separate vehicle ahead of the president and ascended the stairs to Air Force One without him.

“With her schedule, it was easier to meet him on the plane,” Stephanie Grisham, the first lady’s communications director, explained the situation, adding that she does intend to join her husband in visiting the victims.

The suspicious choice comes just hours after The New Yorker published a report based on an account from McDougal, who provided details about her alleged affair with President Trump between June 2006 to April 2007. At the time, the Trumps had been married for two years, and their son, Barron, had been born a few months earlier.

The White House responded to the allegations in a statement saying, “This is an old story that is just more fake news. The President says he never had a relationship with McDougal.”

This isn’t the first time the first lady has broken with tradition in the wake of infidelity accusations. Last month, she arrived at the U.S. Capitol separately from the president to attend his first State of the Union address. It was her first public event following a bombshell report alleging the president paid porn star Stormy Daniels $130,000 in exchange for her silence after the pair had an affair in 2006.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Dog food shipments pulled after euthanasia drug found in some brands

Published: Friday, February 16, 2018 @ 8:54 AM

Study Found Euthanasia Drug in Dog Food

J.M. Smucker Co. is pulling back some of its shipments after a television news investigation found that some of the company’s dog food tested positive for a drug used for euthanasia.

The company is having shipments of wet canned Gravy Train, Kibble ‘N Bits, Skippy and Ol’ Roy foods returned to the the company, The Associated Press reported.

The move came after Washington, D.C.-based television station WJLA tested 15 cans of the Gravy Train brand and found 60 percent, or 9 out of the 15 cans, tested positive for the drug pentobarbital.

>> Read more trending news 

The station’s investigation started after a woman said that shortly after feeding Evanger’s pet food to her five dogs, they were falling over and convulsing in 2016. She sent the rest of the dogs’ food and the remains of one of the dogs for testing, where the dog was found to have been poisoned by dog food and that the food contained pentobarbital, WJLA reported last week

In 2017, Evanger’s recalled a batch of its Hunk of Beef food because it was exposed to the drug.

Smucker’s officials, which doesn’t produce Evanger’s, told WJLA that it was investigating the results of the station’s investigation on its food and are working with suppliers. 

Smucker’s officials said this week that the low amounts of the drug found in the station’s investigation is not a threat to pets.

WJLA reported that their test showed non-lethal levels but any amount of the drug is not permitted according to federal law.

“However, the presence of this substance at any level is not acceptable to us and not up to our quality of standards,” Smucker’s officials told the AP.

The company said it doesn’t use meat from animals that were euthanized in its pet food products, the AP reported.

For more on the company’s decision to return the products, click here for Gravy Train information and here for Kibble ‘N Bits.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Florida school shooting timeline: Seven minutes, three floors and 17 dead

Published: Friday, February 16, 2018 @ 11:32 AM

Victims of the Florida High School Mass Shooting

Nikolas Cruz, the gunman charged with killing 17 people at a Parkland, Florida, high school Wednesday afternoon, has reportedly confessed to the shooting and, his attorney says, is now on suicide watch.

Cruz, according to a timeline put together by police, set off alarms as he entered Marjory Stoneman Douglas High, the school he had been expelled from, hoping to get more people into the hallways and into his line of fire.

After firing into classrooms and at students in the hallways, Cruz dropped the weapon he had with him, an AR-15 weapon purchased legally one year ago, and blended in with the crowd of students fleeing the building.

>> Read more trending news

From the school, he headed to a Subway and bought himself a soft drink, went to a McDonald's to sit for a few minutes, left the restaurant and was arrested a short time later without incident.

On Thursday, he was charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder.

Here, from information from the Broward County’s Sheriff’s Office, is a timeline of the events that happened that day.

Feb. 14, 2018 (all times are local Florida time)
  • 2:06 p.m.: An Uber driver picks up Cruz, who asks to be driven to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
  • 2:19 p.m.: It takes 13 minutes to get to the front of the school where the Uber driver drops Cruz off. He has with him an AR-15 inside of a soft gun case and a backpack filled with ammunition. According to a police report, a school employee recognizes Cruz and radios to a colleague that Cruz is headed toward the school’s Building 12.
  • 2:21:18 p.m.: Cruz enters the east stairwell of Building 12 with a rifle inside of the case. Police said the 19-year-old also had smoke grenades and a gas mask.
  • 2:21:30 p.m.: Twelve seconds later, Cruz has taken the rifle from the bag and readied it to fire. At some point, he pulls the fire alarm. Students would later say they were confused by the sound of a fire alarm because they had had a fire drill earlier that morning.
  • 2:21:33 p.m.: As students began to leave the building after the fire alarm, Cruz begins shooting into rooms 1215, 1216 and 1214. Students and teachers, hearing the gunshots, head back into the classrooms. Cruz goes back to rooms 1216 and 1215 fires into them again, then walks to 1213 and fires again. Cruz then takes the west stairwell to the second floor and shoots a person in room 1234.
  • 2:24:39 p.m.: Three minutes after the first shots are fired, Cruz heads up the east stairwell to the third floor of Building 12. According to some reports, he tries to bust out a window on the third floor to shoot at students as they flee the building. The windows in that part of the facility are shatterproof, and Cruz is unable to fire down from the third floor.
  • 2:27:37 p.m.: Three minutes after he gets to the third floor, he goes back into the stairwell, drops the rifle and his backpack and runs down the stairs.
  • 2:28:35 p.m.: Among the fleeing students and staff, he leaves Building 12 and runs west toward the school’s tennis courts, then turns and heads south.
  • 2:29:51 p.m.: A little more than a minute later, Cruz crosses a field and runs west, meeting up with others running from the school.
  • 2:50 p.m.: Some 30 minutes later, he arrives at Walmart. He goes to the Subway located inside the Walmart and buys a soft drink. He then leaves on foot.
  • 3:01 p.m.: Cruz goes to a McDonald’s and sits in the restaurant for a few minutes. He leaves the restaurant on foot.
  • 3:41 p.m.: Forty minutes later, an officer from the Coconut Creek Police Department spots Cruz on Wyndham Lakes Drive in Coral Springs. The Broward Sheriff’s Department responds to the call that the young man who is now a suspect in the shootings has been spotted. He is positively identified by officers and taken into custody without incident.

Trending - Most Read Stories