Reports: 2 hospitalized after shooting at Virginia Motorsports Park

Published: Saturday, April 01, 2017 @ 10:29 PM
Updated: Sunday, April 02, 2017 @ 6:28 AM

Police siren
News | WHBQ

Two people were hospitalized after gunfire broke out at the second annual Spring Fest at the Virginia Motorsports Park in Dinwiddie County on Saturday, according to WTVR

>> Read more trending news

Initial reports said three people were shot in a “mass casualty” situation, according to WRIC. Authorities later said two were hospitalized with injuries that were not life-threatening, WTVR reported. A third person was injured by broken glass following the gunfire, WTVR reported.

The Spring Fest event is a motorcycle and car rally and race as well as concert with performers, including Lil Boosie.

Politico: Emails between Bill O’Reilly, attorneys hint at last-minute effort to save job

Published: Friday, April 21, 2017 @ 12:03 PM

FILE - In this Oct. 1, 2015 file photo, host Bill O'Reilly of

Former Fox News host Bill O’Reilly and his attorneys debated whether to share an email with his bosses at 21st Century Fox in the hours before he was fired from the company, according to a story from Politico.

The email that O’Reilly and his lawyers discussed was from Mary Pat Bonner, a Democratic Party fundraiser connected with the watchdog group Media Matters. The email described an “advertiser education campaign” aimed at companies that purchased ads during O’Reilly’s show to cancel their sponsorships.

The email, which was shared with Politico, referred to two upcoming conference calls with Media Matters president Angelo Carusone to discuss "the success of the campaign so far, and our plans moving forward." The email that Politico received did not include the recipients' names, and it was not clear how O’Reilly’s attorneys came into its possession, though the campaign was not a secret.

Media Matters released this statement from Angelo Carusone:
“Fox News was forced to act. They had years to address serial sexual harassment at Fox News. They didn’t; they actually enabled it. So individuals and groups took action to educate advertisers. Advertisers fled because they immediately recognized what Fox News has ignored for over a decade: that serial sexual harassment is not only wrong but bad for business.

"Without advertisers, Bill O’Reilly’s show was no longer commercially viable. Fox News had no choice but to fire O’Reilly. Accountability came from the outside, not from within. Fox News deserves no accolades, only scorn for the industrial scale harassment they have forced their employees to endure.”

According to the story, O’Reilly and his attorneys intended to point to the email as proof that there was a coordinated move to get him fired, and that the effort was a conspiracy based on unfounded allegations of sexual harassment.

"If we show to Fox tomorrow, word will get out and the Thursday call may be canceled," O'Reilly wrote Tuesday in an email exchange with his attorney.

The email was forwarded to Politico on Wednesday, which O’Reilly’s attorney said was a mistake.

For the full story, see Politico.


 

Fox News ends relationship with Bill O’Reilly, O’Reilly responds

Published: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 @ 10:21 PM
Updated: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 @ 5:15 PM

Fox News has cut ties to “The O'Reilly Factor” host Bill O'Reilly, 21st Century Fox confirmed in a statement Wednesday.

>> Read more trending news

“After a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the Company and Bill O’Reilly have agreed that Bill O’Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel,” the statement said.

The news comes after multiple allegations emerged that O'Reilly has sexually harassed and verbally abused female employees.

Related: Bill O'Reilly announces vacation amid scandal; report claims he may not return to show

The New York Times reported Marc E. Kasowitz, an attorney for O’Reilly, issued the following statement Tuesday as reports emerged that he may lose his job:

Bill O’Reilly has been subjected to a brutal campaign of character assassination that is unprecedented in post-McCarthyist America. This law firm has uncovered evidence that the smear campaign is being orchestrated by far-left organizations bent on destroying O’Reilly for political and financial reasons. That evidence will be put forth shortly, and it is irrefutable.

The Times reported on April 1 that about $13 million has been paid out to a total of five women who have accused O’Reilly of sexual harassment. In the fallout, The Associated Press reported that about 60 sponsors had withdrawn advertisements for “The O'Reilly Factor.”

NPR reported that “Tucker Carlson Tonight” host Tucker Carlson will replace O’Reilly’s 8 p.m. show slot. 

O’Reilly was set to return to the show this coming Monday, following an already scheduled vacation.

An internal memo was sent to Fox News Channel employees Wednesday, according to The Associated Press.

We’d like to address questions about Bill O’Reilly’s future at Fox News. After a thorough and careful review of allegations against him, the Company and Bill O’Reilly have agreed that Mr. O’Reilly will not return to the Fox News Channel.

This decision follows an extensive review done in collaboration with outside counsel.

By ratings standards, Bill O’Reilly is one of the most accomplished TV personalities in the history of cable news. In fact, his success by any measure is indisputable. Fox News has demonstrated again and again the strength of its talent bench. We have full confidence that the network will continue to be a powerhouse in cable news.

Lastly, and most importantly, we want to underscore our consistent commitment to fostering a work environment built on the values of trust and respect.

The letter was signed by Fox News Channel Chairman Rupert Murdoch, 21st Century Fox CEO James Murdoch and 21st Century Fox Co-chairman Lachlan Murdoch.

Hours later, O’Reilly released a statement, maintaining that the accusations of sexual harassment are “unfounded.”

Over the past 20 years at Fox News, I have been extremely proud to launch and lead one of the most successful news programs in history, which has consistently informed and entertained millions of Americans and significantly contributed to building Fox into the dominant news network in television. It is tremendously disheartening that we part ways due to completely unfounded claims. But that is the unfortunate reality many of us in the public eye must live with today. I will always look back on my time at Fox with great pride in the unprecedented success we achieved and with my deepest gratitude to all my dedicated viewers. I wish only the best for Fox News Channel.

7 things to know now: Man kills daughter on Facebook Live; ‘Bachelor’ Chris Soules arrested; sanctuary cities

Published: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 @ 6:59 AM

FILE - In this June 19, 2015, file photo, Iowa farmer Chris Soules, a former star of ABC's

Here's a roundup of news trending across the nation and world today.

What to know now:

1. Man kills daughter on Facebook Live: A man in Thailand murdered his infant daughter, broadcasting the crime on Facebook Live Tuesday. Wuttisan Wongtalay, 20, hanged his 11-month-old daughter before killing himself. His death was not broadcast on the social media site. His body was found by police next to his daughter, Jullaus Suvannin, according to authorities.

2. Flynn may have broken the law: The leaders of the House Oversight Committee said Tuesday that President Donald Trump's former national security adviser, Michael Flynn, appeared to violate federal law when he spoke at an event in Russia without first seeking permission from the U.S. government. After speaking at the event, Flynn then failed to report money he received for his appearance. The committee also questioned Flynn’s ties to a businessman who represented Turkey's government. Flynn received $530,000 for consulting work for the man.

3. Judge blocks sanctuary cities plan: Trump’s plan to withhold funding from so-called “sanctuary cities” was blocked Tuesday by a federal judge. According to U.S. District Judge William Orrick, the president does not have the authority to issue an executive order that would attach new conditions on federal spending that has already been approved by Congress.

4. Mother charged with abuse: The mother of the 15-year-old Tennessee girl kidnapped by her teacher last month has been charged with abusing the girl and her nine siblings. The woman is set to appear in court next month on five counts of abuse and neglect.  

5. Fox News sued: A racial discrimination lawsuit against Fox News has been expanded. The suit, filed Tuesday in New York’s Supreme Court, accuses the company of discrimination "that appears more akin to Plantation-style management than a modern-day work environment." The lawsuit was expanded to include eight former and current Fox employees to the case that had been brought by three former Fox employees. Fox News has denied the claims. Kelly Wright, a current Fox News anchor, is among the plaintiffs.

And one more

Chris Soules, a contestant on ABC’s “The Bachelor,” was arrested and charged with “leaving the scene of a fatality motor vehicle accident” Monday in Iowa. Soules' attorneys released a statement Tuesday that read, “Chris Soules was involved in an accident Monday evening (April 24) in a rural part of Iowa near his home. He was devastated to learn that Kenneth Mosher, the other person in the accident, passed away. His thoughts and prayers are with Mr. Mosher’s family." Soules allegedly rear-ended the tractor-trailer Mosher, 66, was driving.

In case you missed it