Report: WWE trying to reach settlement with announcer

Published: Friday, April 14, 2017 @ 2:17 AM

Veteran boxing, MMA and pro wrestling announcer Mauro Ranallo has been approached by World Wrestling Entertainment for a possible settlement that would require him to not speak publicly about his absence from WWE, or accusations of a bullying culture within the company, according to Dave Meltzer of The Wrestling Observer in the latest issue of his subscription newsletter. 

>> Read more trending news

Ranallo was the lead announcer of WWE’s Smackdown Live until a month ago. He has since been absent from TV with no explanation from the network. Ranallo was reported to be suffering from depression. 

His broadcast partner, John Layfield criticized Ranallo over Twitter and in character on Smackdown while he was absent. Layfield also criticized Ranallo during a non-character interview on WWE’s streaming service. Layfield has been accused of harassing, bullying and abusing wrestlers and other WWE employees during his tenure in the company, and admitted to hazing certain wrestlers in interviews.

ESPN, which devotes a section of its website to WWE coverage, did not mention the Ranallo and Layfield situation until Thursday, during a Q-and-A interview with former WWE announcer Justin Roberts, who talks at length of bullying he faced from Layfield while with the company in his new book.

The situation also was addressed during ESPN’s Cheap Heat podcast, which is hosted by WWE employee Peter Rosenberg, who blasted Meltzer and Roberts for having an agenda. Rosenberg called the allegations a witch hunt.

The reaction was similar to Jonathan Coachman’s, the ESPN SportsCenter anchor who worked at WWE for nine years and took criticism over the last week for saying Ranallo’s absence was rumor and not a story worthy of covering. 

Fans continue to be outraged over the incident Fans attending Smackdown Live on Tuesday began chanting for Ranallo, while one fan was kicked out of the building for bringing a Fire JBL (Layfield) sign. 

Man reels in, returns stranger's camera after it was lost five years

Published: Sunday, June 25, 2017 @ 11:00 PM

Some rods and reels. (Photo by Sergi Alexander/Getty Images for Buoniconti Fund To Cure Paralysis)
Sergi Alexander

Alex Mansur was paddleboarding with family when he lost his camera on a trip to the Tennessee River in 2012. Mansur and his family were meeting relatives in Chattanooga and paddleboarding together for the first time, according to the St. Augustine Record.

The camera's lanyard slid off his wrist.

“I felt it falling down my legs and down the board. I jumped in after it, but it just slipped away,” Mansur told the Record.

That was that, he told WTVC. “All my family members were really upset as well.”

Fast forward five years.

>> Read more trending news

Nate Wilson and Matthew Schubert of Chattanooga Cycleboats hit the Tennessee River to record footage for an upcoming travel show. As they demonstrated casting into the water from a Cycleboat, they hit a snag. The story, as Wilson tells it, is that they were really just trying to save a “pretty expensive” lure.

But the snag broke, and they reeled it in. What they got was an Olympus camera that had been down there for quite some time, it seemed.

Wilson said finding the camera was exciting.

“When Captain Matt (Schubert) pulled that camera out of the river by the wrist strap the first thing I said was ‘Guys that memory card is going to work, and we are going to find the owner!’ I was pretty anxious and excited.”

They opened the camera with a screwdriver, recovered the SD card, slid it into a computer, and found a whole lot of photos. Hundreds, in fact. And Wilson was startled to see the .EXIF data indicating that the photos were shot between 2009 and 2012, meaning the camera had been sitting on the riverbed for years.

Wilson posted the photos on Facebook later that night, including a clear selfie from the camera. In 10 hours, a relative of Mansur’s had identified it and put them in touch.

The internet!

Mansur is, unsurprisingly, enormously grateful.

“Those videos of me hiking alone in the wilderness marked a pretty personal and challenging time in my life, and those experiences I had alone in Southwest Texas were some pivotal moments that led me to where I am today,” he said in a statement posted by Wilson of the account:

I would like to tremendously thank Nate Wilson and everyone for this unbelievable experience in returning mycamera I lost 5 years ago! I am still in disbelief over this amazing ordeal and how it has unfolded. He is a tremendous person for taking the time to reunite me with my camera and the many wonderful memories it held. My sincerest gratitude to Nate and everyone who helped!

Tim Tebow promoted by Mets

Published: Sunday, June 25, 2017 @ 10:26 PM

Tim Tebow #15 of the New York Mets works out at an instructional league day at Tradition Field on September 19, 2016 in Port St. Lucie, Florida.  (Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images)
Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images

Tim Tebow, the former Heisman Trophy winning quarterback at the University of Florida, earned a promotion and will be moving on up in the New York Mets farm system.

Tebow will be moving on from Single-A Columbia and up to the Mets Advanced-A ball team, the St. Lucie Mets.

>> Read more trending news

“Tim brought an incredible amount of experience and leadership to our clubhouse,” Fireflies president John Katz said in a statement. “His contributions, both on the field and in our community, have made a tremendous impact on our team, the City of Columbia and the entire South Atlantic League. We wish Tim the best as he continues his journey to Citi Field.”

The New York Mets general manager, Sandy Alderson spoke to reporters about the move up for Tebow.

In 63 games, Tebow hit .222 with three home runs and 23 RBI. He also added 23 walks and was second on the team in doubles with 14. Given Tebow’s popularity, he was a huge draw for the Fireflies.

Tebow’s first game with the St. Lucie Mets will be on Tuesday, June 27 against the Palm Beach Cardinals. In May, Tebow signed a contract extension with ESPN, where he will continue to cover college football as an analyst for ESPN and the SEC Network.

Missing NC teen found safe in Georgia more than a year after she vanished

Published: Sunday, June 25, 2017 @ 4:48 PM

Thousands of children go missing every year according to the FBI’s National Crime Information Center, but for a North Carolina family, their prayers have been answered. Investigators found 17-year-old Hailey Burns alive at a home in Deluth, Georgia. She has now been reunited with her family. She disappeared last year from her Charlotte-area home.
Christopher Furlong/Getty Images

A missing North Carolina teenager, who vanished last year, has turned up at a home in Georgia.

Hailey Burns, now 17, has been reunited with her family at an undisclosed location in Georgia, according to law enforcement sources.

>> Read more trending news

A FBI special agent in Charlotte learned of information that led investigators to a home in Duluth, Georgia, where they found Burns.

A man found at the home, Michael Ren Wysolovski, was taken into custody and is now facing a number of state charges, the FBI said.

The FBI in Charlotte and the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department will continue their investigation into Burns' disappearance and will work closely with the FBI Atlanta and the Gwinnett County Police Department. 

Burns  was last been seen at her Charlotte-area home on May 23, 2016.

Police said at the time they had information that she may have left of her own accord and they weren’t sure if she had help.

“You have to let go of the hope that she will just walk through the door, the teen’s mother, Shaunna Burns, said in a later interview.

“We are past that point. She is not just going to come home in the middle of the night. You have to hope that they still find her, wherever she is.”

>> Related: Body, likely missing Arkansas boy, found after 3 relatives discovered dead

“You have to distract yourself because you will drive yourself crazy wondering what you could have done, or could be doing,” her father, Anthony Burns, said after his daughter disappeared.

Celebrity chef injured in gas explosion at new Bahamas restaurant

Published: Sunday, June 25, 2017 @ 9:26 PM

Chef Ralph Pagano. (Photo by Gustavo Caballero/Getty Images for SOBEWFF®)
Gustavo Caballero/Getty Images for SOBEWFF®

A South Florida chef who starred in a cable TV reality cooking show suffered third-degree burns Thursday after a gas explosion at his new restaurant in the Bahamas, Local 10 News in Miami reports.

Ralph Pagano was airlifted to a Miami hospital after the blast at Resorts World Bimini. He was turning on the kitchen's gas burners when the oven blew up.

"My hands were on fire, my shirt was on fire, my pants were on fire," Pagano told Local 10 News from Jackson Memorial Hospital.

>> Read more trending news

The chef, who starred in the Lifetime show “All Mixed Up,” suffered burns on his face, legs and hands. "I thought I was going to die," he said. "Luckily, I stopped, dropped and rolled."

"I'm going to need skin grafts and about a month in the hospital, but I'm alive," Pagano said.

Pagano has made other TV appearances, including competing on “Hell's Kitchen” and “Iron Chef.”

He owns several South Florida restaurants: Naked Taco in Miami Beach, Naked Lunch in Miami and Naked Crab in Fort Lauderdale.

He was opening a new Naked Taco location when the accident occurred