Report: Teammate claims Lochte fabricated robbery story

Published: Thursday, August 18, 2016 @ 11:29 AM
Updated: Thursday, August 18, 2016 @ 3:46 PM

The Associated Press is reporting that swimmer Jack Conger has told police that fellow Olympian Ryan Lochte made up the robbery story.

Gunnar Bentz also told the Rio police the same account.

AP quoted an unnamed source saying that Lochte, Conger, Bentz and Jimmy Feigen took a taxi to leave a party and go back to the athletes village early Sunday. They stopped at a gas station in Barra da Tijuca, a Rio suburb where many of the Olympic venues are located, at about 6 a.m.. One of the swimmers was trying to open a bathroom door, but it was locked.

>> Read more trending stories  

The swimmers pushed on the door, which broke it. They were then confronted by a security guard, who was armed, but never drew his gun. The gas station manager arrived and asked for the swimmers to pay for the damages. Another customer translated.  The swimmers paid and left.

They checked into the athletes village at 6:56 a.m.

But there are conflicting reports as to what happened after the bathroom door was broken.

The news site G1 also reported:

“According to the security, the swimmers were aggressive, altered and clearly drunk.”

The site said that a security officer showed his badge.  Two of the swimmers ran into the street and the guard, likely a policeman moonlighting as security, pointed a gun at the other two. The site said the swimmers offered $20 and 100 Brazilian real to fix the damage.

Lochte has been the only one of the four to speak publicly about the alleged robbery. He left Rio, Tuesday.

Conger and Bentz tried to leave Wednesday night, but were detained at the airport. Feigen checked in for the flight, online, but did not go to the airport.

IOC spokesman Mario Andrada, in his daily briefing with the media, said: “Let’s give these kids a break. They had fun. They made a mistake. Life goes on.”

On Sunday, Lochte told NBC that the four had been robbed at gun point by an individual posing as a policeman.

"We got pulled over in the taxi, and these guys came out with a badge, a police badge, no lights, no nothing, just a police badge, and they pulled us over," he said on the "Today" show. "They pulled out their guns, they told the other swimmers to get down on the ground. They got down on the ground. I refused, I was like, 'We didn’t do anything wrong, so I'm not getting down on the ground.'

"And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said: 'Get down,' and I put my hands up, I was like 'Whatever.' He took our money. He took my wallet. He left my cellphone. He left my credentials."

U.S. Swimming issued a statement later on Sunday confirming that the athletes were involved in a robbery.

Conger and Bentz were not allowed to leave the country Wednesday night. Police pulled them from their flight back in the United States.

Conger is a senior at the University of Texas. Feigen swam for UT in 2009-12.

Up until late Wednesday, only Lochte and Feigen had talked to the police about the incident that was alleged to have happened four days before.

On Wednesday, a Rio judge ordered that police confiscate the passports of Lochte and Feigen. The office of Judge Keylan Blank confirmed to the AP that Lochte and Feigen were to have their passports seized, but Lochte’s father told the wire service his son had returned to the United States before the order was issued.

Lochte, one of the most recognizable swimmers in the world, left Rio Tuesday. He was the first to speak to police.

Feigen did not show up for his flight Wednesday night but told USA Today he was cooperating with authorities.

Conger and Bentz, who will be a junior at the University of Georgia, were questioned late Wednesday. It was the first time they’d spoken to police.

UGA swimming coach Jack Bauerle said he has been "in constant contact" with Bentz.

"I will know much more today," Bauerle said, according to the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

This story is developing. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

WATCH: Florida school shooting survivor Emma Gonzalez slams politicians, NRA in emotional speech

Published: Sunday, February 18, 2018 @ 3:43 AM
Updated: Sunday, February 18, 2018 @ 3:43 AM

The Worst School Shootings in US History

A survivor of Wednesday's deadly school shooting in Parkland, Florida, slammed President Donald Trump, lawmakers and the National Rifle Association in a scathing speech Saturday at an anti-gun rally in Fort Lauderdale.

>> Click here to watch

>> PHOTOS: Remembering Parkland Florida school shooting victims

"Every single person up here today, all these people should be home grieving," said Emma Gonzalez, a student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. "But instead, we are up here standing together because if all our government and president can do is send thoughts and prayers, then it's time for victims to be the change that we need to see. Since the time of the founding fathers and since they added the Second Amendment to the Constitution, our guns have developed at a rate that leaves me dizzy. The guns have changed, but our laws have not."

>> Florida school shooting heroes: 3 coaches, teachers gave lives for students

Gonzalez called out one of Trump's tweets following the shooting that left 17 people dead.

>> See the tweet here

"So many signs that the Florida shooter was mentally disturbed, even expelled from school for bad and erratic behavior. Neighbors and classmates knew he was a big problem. Must always report such instances to authorities, again and again!" Trump wrote Thursday morning.

>> Florida school shooting: How difficult is it to purchase a gun in Florida?

Gonzalez said Saturday: "We did, time and time again. Since he was in middle school, it was no surprise to anyone who knew him to hear that he was the shooter. Those talking about how we should have not ostracized him, you didn't know this kid, OK? We did. We know that they are claiming mental health issues, and I am not a psychologist, but we need to pay attention to the fact that this was not just a mental health issue. He would not have harmed that many students with a knife."

>> Who is Nikolas Cruz, accused gunman in Florida high school attack?

She added: "If the president wants to come up to me and tell me to my face that it was a terrible tragedy and how it should never have happened and maintain telling us how nothing is going to be done about it, I'm going to happily ask him how much money he received from the National Rifle Association."

>> Florida high school shooting suspect flagged as threat before tragedy

She went on to criticize him and other lawmakers.

"To every politician who is taking donations from the NRA, shame on you!" she said, prompting the crowd to chant, "Shame on you" in response.

>> Read more trending news 

"Politicians who sit in their gilded House and Senate seats funded by the NRA telling us nothing could have been done to prevent this, we call BS,” Gonzalez said. “They say tougher gun laws do not decrease gun violence. We call BS. They say a good guy with a gun stops a bad guy with a gun. We call BS. They say guns are just tools like knives and are as dangerous as cars. We call BS. They say no laws could have prevented the hundreds of senseless tragedies that have occurred. We call BS. That us kids don't know what we're talking about, that we're too young to understand how the government works. We call BS."

Trending - Most Read Stories

Police: Mother accused of giving child hydrochloric acid, chlorine as autism 'cure'

Published: Saturday, February 17, 2018 @ 1:55 PM

File image of a liquid dispenser bottle.
Pixabay
File image of a liquid dispenser bottle.(Pixabay)

An Indianapolis mother is accused of feeding her child a dangerous homemade concoction in an attempt to "cure" the child's autism, police said.

The woman's husband claims his wife placed drops of hydrochloric acid and a water purifying solution that contained chlorine into their child's beverage, FOX59 reported. The woman reportedly referred to the mixture as the "miracle mineral solution" and said she found the recipe on a Facebook group page. The husband told police that his wife had fed their child the toxic mixture a few weeks ago, but he only found out about it last weekend.

>> Read more trending news 

The “miracle mineral solution” has been reviewed by the FDA, which warned that it is essentially bleach, FOX59 reported. The mixture is often promoted as being a cure-all for everything from cancer to autism.

The Indianapolis Police Department told FOX59 that the Department of Child Services is reviewing the case and has removed the child from the home. Police declined to release the names of the parents or any of the child's identifying information. The investigation remains active.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Jennifer Lawrence to take time off from acting in order to ‘fix our democracy’

Published: Saturday, February 17, 2018 @ 8:23 PM

TORONTO, ON - SEPTEMBER 10:  Jennifer Lawrence at the 'mother!' press conference during the 2017 Toronto International Film Festival held at TIFF Bell Lightbox on September 10, 2017 in Toronto, Canada.  (Photo by Emma McIntyre/Getty Images for Paramount Pictures)
Emma McIntyre/Getty Images for Paramount Pictures
TORONTO, ON - SEPTEMBER 10: Jennifer Lawrence at the 'mother!' press conference during the 2017 Toronto International Film Festival held at TIFF Bell Lightbox on September 10, 2017 in Toronto, Canada. (Photo by Emma McIntyre/Getty Images for Paramount Pictures)(Emma McIntyre/Getty Images for Paramount Pictures)

Jennifer Lawrence plans to take the next year off from acting in order to devote time working with a group trying to limit the influence of money in politics. 

>> Read more trending news

Lawrence, 27, is a member of the board of Represent.Us, a group working to pass anti-corruption laws which limit the amount of money that can be used to influence politicians.

"I'm going to take the next year off. I'm going to be working with this organization as a part of Represent.Us ... Trying to get young people engaged politically on a local level,” Lawrence told Entertainment Tonight while promoting the release of her latest movie Red Sparrow. “It doesn't have anything to do with partisan (politics). It's just anti-corruption and stuff trying to pass state by state laws that can help prevent corruption, fix our democracy."

Lawrence, one of the highest-paid actress in the world, has used her position to help causes in the past. 

She participated in the Women’s March in January, posting a photo holding protest signs with Cameron Diaz and Adele.

"I stand in solidarity for Women's rights, Equal pay, DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals), CHIP (Children's Health Insurance Program)," she wrote.

Lawrence was also honored with the Sherry Lansing Leadership Award at The Hollywood Reporter’s 2017 Women in Entertainment Power 100 breakfast in December.

“It’s not easy to speak out,” Lawrence said. “It’s not easy to face criticism on a global scale. But the fact is I have been given a platform, and if I don’t use it, then I don’t deserve it.”

Trending - Most Read Stories

You may be able to better avoid a heart attack with this common snack, study says

Published: Saturday, February 17, 2018 @ 10:04 PM

File photo. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
Joe Raedle/Getty Images
File photo. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)(Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

What’s your go-to snack? If it’s yogurt, you may be in luck because it may help lower your risk for cardiovascular disease, according to a new report. 

>> Read more trending news

Researchers from Boston University and Harvard University, recently conducted a trial, published in American Journal of Hypertension, to determine how high intake of the food could be associated with lower cardiovascular disease risk among hypertensive people.

"We hypothesized that long-term yogurt intake might reduce the risk of cardiovascular problems since some previous small studies had shown beneficial effects of fermented dairy products," the authors wrote in a statement.
For the assessment, they pulled from a study that examined 55,000 women, aged 30-55, with high blood pressure, and they looked at another that analyzed 18,000 men, aged 40-75. The participants, which were followed for up to 30 years, completed a questionnaire that asked about their diets and any physician-diagnosed events, like strokes or heart attacks, that might have occurred.

After analyzing the results, they found that higher intakes of yogurt were associated with a 30 percent reduction in risk of cardiac arrest for women and a 19 percent decrease for men.

Furthermore, men and women, who ate more than two servings of yogurt a week had about a 20 percent lower risk of major coronary heart disease or stroke.

“Our results provide important new evidence that yogurt may benefit heart health alone or as a consistent part of a diet rich in fiber-rich fruits, vegetables and whole grains," they said.

While they didn’t note whether one type of yogurt was better than the other or why it could be beneficial, they said the treat may help prevent clogging of the heart’s blood vessels. 

“In fact, higher dairy consumption has been previously linked to positive effects on “cardiovascular disease-related comorbidities such as hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and insulin resistance,” they wrote.

Now the researchers hope to continue their investigations to confirm their findings and to help doctors better treat hypertensive patients. 

Trending - Most Read Stories