Report: Flight to Orlando used as terrorist practice run

Published: Thursday, October 10, 2013 @ 10:11 AM
Updated: Thursday, October 10, 2013 @ 10:11 AM

Terrorists are in the midst of practice runs in preparations for an attack on U.S. airlines. 

That is the claim made in a report from Tampa's CBS affiliate, WTSP TV

WTSP has obtained what it claims is a memo from the union that represents pilots for many major airlines that warns that terrorist dry runs are already underway and that the most notable example is a flight inbound to Orlando in last month. 

The pilots say the most recent dry-run occurred on Flight 1880 on September 2. The flight left Reagan National Airport in Washington D.C. and headed to Orlando International.

Crew members say that shortly after takeoff, a group of four "Middle Eastern" men caused a commotion.

The witnesses claim one of the men ran from his seat in coach, toward the flight deck door. He made a hard left and entered the forward bathroom "for a considerable length of time."

While he was in there, the other three men proceeded to move about the cabin, changing seats, opening overhead bins, and "generally making a scene." They appeared to be trying to occupy and distract the flight attendants.

The 10 News Investigators contacted both US Airways and the Transportation Security Administration both confirmed the incident. 

WTSP also spoke with a federal air marshall who has information about the incident and others like it. You can read the rest of that story here

Watch: Melania Trump appears to slap away president's hand in Israel

Published: Monday, May 22, 2017 @ 2:37 PM

US President Donald Trump and Israeli President Reuven Rivlin walk during welcome ceremony in Tel Aviv, Monday, May 22,2017. (AP Photo/Oded Balilty)
Oded Balilty/AP

An awkward moment played out on the tarmac of an airport in Israel on Monday after President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump arrived as part of the couple’s first trip abroad since the president’s inauguration.

>> Read more trending news

As news crews from around the globe documented the couple’s walk from Air Force One, Donald Trump reached back to offer his wife his hand. After he turns to look forward, Melania Trump appears to swat the president’s hand away.

Donald Trump smooths over his tie and adjusts his coat after the rejection.

Israeli newspaper Haaretz slowed down the moment for anyone who missed the flick. No doubt echoing the thoughts of an untold number of viewers, the newspaper tweeted the video with a single word: “Ouch.”

It’s not the first time Melania Trump’s reactions to her husband have come under scrutiny.

>> Related: Melania Trump’s scowl on inauguration day sparks ‘Free Melania’ hashtag

A clip of the first lady went viral in January after Donald Trump’s inauguration. In the clip, Melania Trump shoots a bright smile at her husband as he appears to mouth words at her. As soon as the president turned his back, however, the smile slipped from his wife’s face.

Related

Hamburglar who stole Ronald McDonald statue arrested, police say

Published: Monday, May 22, 2017 @ 10:04 AM

Police believe that they have found the hamburglar who swiped a Ronald McDonald statue from a New Jersey McDonald’s restaurant.

Thomas Roman, 56, was arrested and charged with receiving stolen property, the Hunterdon County Prosecutor’s Office said Saturday, the New Jersey Star-Ledger reported.

"We're really excited," Philip Koury, who has owned the restaurant with his wife Diane since 1991, told the Star-Ledger. "But it's not for us, it's for our thousands of customers. He has been a member of our family for the last 20 years. Customers young and old always enjoy sitting with Ronald and taking pictures."

>> Read more trending news

The statue was going to be taken to a safe place when construction crews started work April 24 on refurbishing the restaurant. However, the company had to reschedule the pickup for the next day. The statue was reported missing shortly after that. 

The couple first thought it was taken by young people as a prank. But it weighs about 250 pounds and is too large to hide from parents. 

The statue was recovered about a week later. Police did not give Koury any information about where it was found or why it was taken.

The statue is no longer made. About 3,000 of the plastic statues were created through 1997. The Kourys purchased theirs in the early 1990s for $7,000. 

They plan to have the statue restored before putting it back in the restaurant.

"We're going to clean him up and put him back in his place of honor in the dining room,” Koury told the Star-Ledger. “We want him to look his best for our customers in the future."

Disneyland reaches capacity, guests turned away

Published: Monday, May 22, 2017 @ 1:00 PM

With the summer tourist season almost upon tourist destinations, the last weekend before the unofficial beginning of summer had some people disappointed in Southern California.

>> Read more trending news 

It is being estimated that hundreds of would-be park goers were turned away from Disneyland Saturday. That’s because Walt’s original park reached maximum capacity, KTTV reported.

But why was there a rush to get to see Mickey and the gang?

Many believe it was because it was one of the last opportunities for passholders to use their annual passes before the summer blackout dates kicked in to effect, KTTV reported.

Popular rides showed how crowded the parks really were with Space Mountain and Splash Mountain logging three-hour wait lines.

Park officials also suggested ridesharing for those brave thrill seekers trying to get to the parks throughout the weekend.

Cancer patient, 17, graduates high school days before dying

Published: Monday, May 22, 2017 @ 1:29 PM

Jerome Singleton achieved his dying wish -- earning his high school diploma.

The 17-year-old was diagnosed in March 2016 with Rhabdomyosarcoma, an aggressive form of cancer. While treatments seemed to be working, six weeks ago, that changed.

"They told him that medically, there was nothing else they could do, that hospice was available," Jerome's stepmother, Makish Cockran told WBRZ. "They told him he could still do chemo, but he would always have cancer, and that's something no 17-year-old wants to hear."

>> Read more trending news

Jerome decided to end chemotherapy after undergoing 47 treatments. He entered hospice care at home, according to WBRZ

All he talked about was wanting to graduate, his father Jerome Cockran told WBRZ. As Singleton began to get weaker, his family told Scotlandville High School the teen would not be able to make it to his graduation ceremony, which was just days away. 

So, surrounded by family, friends, faculty and nurses, Singleton received his diploma during a special ceremony last week. 

He died at 1 p.m. Sunday.

"The closer you are to your kids, the more you can accept the bad things if they get worse," Jerome Cockran said. "Because you know that you did everything you could for them, and you won't have any regrets."