Report: Equifax hacked months earlier than previously admitted

Published: Monday, September 18, 2017 @ 6:13 PM
Updated: Monday, September 18, 2017 @ 10:23 PM

Equifax Hacked Months Earlier Than Previously Admitted

Equifax was hacked almost five months before the Atlanta-based company publicly disclosed the breach that may have compromised the personal data, including social security numbers and credit card information, of 143 million Americans, according to Bloomberg.

>> Read more trending news

The credit reporting agency learned about the breach five months earlier in March, Bloomberg reported, citing three sources familiar with the hack, but in a statement, the company denied that the computer breaches were related.

One of Bloomberg’s sources said that both hacks involved the same perpetrators.

According to Reuters, Equifax released a statement maintaining that the two events were not related:

"Earlier this year, during the 2016 tax season, Equifax experienced a security incident involving a payroll-related service. The incident was reported to customers, affected individuals and regulators. This incident was also covered in the media. The March event reported by Bloomberg is not related to the criminal hacking that was discovered on July 29. Mandiant has investigated both events and found no evidence that these two separate events or the attackers were related. The criminal hacking that was discovered on July 29 did not affect the customer databases hosted by the Equifax business unit that was the subject of the March event.”

Equifax is now at the center of several investigations into how the breach occurred and what took so long to disclose it.

The company first reported the enormous breach of personal data last Thursday when it said a “cyber security incident” may have exposed millions of Americans’ personal information.

Equifax said the unauthorized access to the information occurred between mid-May and July, and was discovered by the company on July 29. It has since hired an outside cybersecurity firm to investigate.

>> Related: Equifax reports massive data breach that could affect 143 million in U.S.

Two high-ranking executives have since left Equifax as it struggles to contain the fallout from the massive breach.

Man stuns fellow drivers by stripping naked, jumping on cars

Published: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 @ 6:11 PM

The main terminal at Washington Dulles International Airport (Photo by Mark Wilson/Getty Images)
Mark Wilson/Getty Images
The main terminal at Washington Dulles International Airport (Photo by Mark Wilson/Getty Images)(Mark Wilson/Getty Images)

Wild footage taken during a Tuesday afternoon Incident shows a naked man running down a highway and jumping onto vehicles after crashing his own truck — causing the road to close to traffic.

>> Read more trending news

Police responded to a call about an accident near Washington Dulles International Airport and a man possibly fleeing the scene without his clothes on. According to officers, one of the drivers involved in the crash got out of his car and assaulted the other driver. That’s when the suspect reportedly undressed and jumped onto a passing vehicle. After causing damage to the truck, he got off of it and ran away.

The video shows the man trying to climb into a dump truck. At one point, he jumps onto the back of a passing truck, clinging on as the driver attempts to drive away. Theo Garner watched the entire episode from the Herndon office building.

“Out of the corner of my eye, I see a ... half-naked guy cross eight lanes of traffic on 28. He then climbs up on the back of the dump truck that a pickup truck had slammed into the back of, disrobes and then proceeds to throw things on 28,” he said. “It’s not something you see every day. I’ve been working there for 17 years and I’ve never seen any shenanigans like that man. That was absolutely insane. But I’ll tell you it did brighten up a boring workday.”

The man was later located on Dulles property, arrested and taken to a nearby hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Police are reportedly still working to identify the suspect, and charges against him are pending.

Omarosa Manigault Newman ‘physically dragged’ from White House, reports confirm

Published: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 @ 9:57 AM
Updated: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 @ 9:08 PM

Who is Omarosa Manigault Newman

Omarosa Manigaul Newman, the “Apprentice” star turned White House aide, was removed from the White House Tuesday night,“physically dragged and escorted off the campus,” according to several news reports.

Manigault-Newman announced her resignation on Wednesday, effective next month.

>> Read more trending news

Related

PBS suspends ‘Tavis Smiley’ show amid sexual misconduct investigation

Published: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 @ 7:04 PM

Who Is Tavis Smiley?

PBS has suspended the “Tavis Smiley” show following allegations of sexual misconduct between Smiley and former production staffers.

>> Read more trending news

According to Variety, PBS hired a firm to oversee Smiley’s behavior after reports of misconduct. As many as 10 witnesses, both men and women, spoke to investigators.  

A PBS spokesperson released a statement on the suspension:

"Effective today, PBS has indefinitely suspended distribution of Tavis Smiley, produced by TS Media, an independent production company. PBS engaged an outside law firm to conduct an investigation immediately after learning of troubling allegations regarding Mr. Smiley. This investigation included interviews with witnesses as well as with Mr. Smiley. The inquiry uncovered multiple, credible allegations of conduct that is inconsistent with the values and standards of PBS, and the totality of this information led to today’s decision."

Second Georgia Dome implosion scheduled to bring down remaining wall

Published: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 @ 9:48 PM

Neighbors fear the dust will be harmful to their health

The portions of the Georgia Dome that remained standing after the building’s implosion last month will be brought down next week, officials said Wednesday.

>> Read more trending news

“supplemental implosion” has been scheduled for 1 a.m. on Dec. 20 to remove a long wall on the stadium’s east end and a structure around Gate B on the northwest corner. 

The Georgia World Congress Center Authority, which operated the Dome, said the second implosion “has been determined to be the safest method to bring down the remaining infrastructure still standing.” 

>> Related: Dust from Georgia Dome’s implosion impacts residents and businesses

The Georgia Dome was the home of the Atlanta Falcons until the Falcons’ new home  Mercedes-Benz Stadium opened in August.

What’s left of the Georgia Dome after the first implosion on Nov. 20, 2017. One wall remained standing and is now scheduled for implosion in the middle of the night on Dec. 20, 2017.(WSB-TV None)