Prince William broke royal protocol to comfort a victim of the horrific London high-rise fire

Published: Monday, June 19, 2017 @ 5:13 PM

Britain's Prince William meets firefighters during a visit to the Westway Sports Centre which is providing temporary shelter for those who have been made homeless by the fire at Grenfell Tower,  in London,  Friday June 16, 2017. Relatives of those missing after a high-rise tower blaze in London are searching frantically for their loved ones, as the police commander in charge of the investigation says he hopes the death toll will not rise to three figures. (Dominic Lipinski/Pool Photo via AP)
Dominic Lipinski/AP
Britain's Prince William meets firefighters during a visit to the Westway Sports Centre which is providing temporary shelter for those who have been made homeless by the fire at Grenfell Tower, in London, Friday June 16, 2017. Relatives of those missing after a high-rise tower blaze in London are searching frantically for their loved ones, as the police commander in charge of the investigation says he hopes the death toll will not rise to three figures. (Dominic Lipinski/Pool Photo via AP)(Dominic Lipinski/AP)

Prince William is the prince of our hearts.

On Friday, William and Queen Elizabeth II visited the victims of the Grenfell Tower fire that killed as many as 58 people last week. The number of victims is reportedly expected to rise, as countless others were hospitalized after the fire.

>> Read more trending news

An additonal 70 people are reportedly missing.

Related: The royal family celebrated Father’s Day with beautiful tributes to all of the loving dads in the world

People reported that Prince William broke royal protocol during the visit when he hugged and tried to comfort an inconsolable woman whose husband went missing during the fire. The woman’s husband was reportedly trapped in an elevator during the blaze.

Traditionally, touching a member of the royal family is reserved for handshakes only. Other victims said that the prince seemed very compassionate during the visit.

An emotional Prince William described the tragedy as “one of the most terrible things (he’s) ever seen.”

Woman holds decoration drive to help victims of Hurricane Harvey celebrate holidays

Published: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 @ 10:10 AM

File photo
Scott Barbour/Getty Images
File photo(Scott Barbour/Getty Images)

As Texas continues to recover during the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey, many are trying to figure out how they will celebrate the holiday season after they’ve lost everything.

One woman came up with an idea to help bring a little normalcy for hurricane victims during the next few weeks and help brighten up their temporary homes this Christmas, KBMT reported.

>> Read more trending news

Meredith Love, with some help from Gretchen Scoggins and schools in Hardin County, Texas, organized a free holiday decoration giveaway.

Love and the others collected donations through social media to provide ornaments, trees and garlands to Hurricane Harvey victims this past weekend, KBMT reported.

Love posted on her Facebook page that more than 200 people were able to collect something to make their living arrangements a little more homey this Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Marine plane crash: Family, friends identify some killed in accident

Published: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 @ 9:11 AM

In this photo provided by Jimmy Taylor, smoke and flames come from the wreckage of a military transport airplane crashed in a field near Itta Bena, Miss., on the western edge of Leflore County, Monday, July 10, 2017, killing several.
Jimmy Taylor via AP
In this photo provided by Jimmy Taylor, smoke and flames come from the wreckage of a military transport airplane crashed in a field near Itta Bena, Miss., on the western edge of Leflore County, Monday, July 10, 2017, killing several.(Jimmy Taylor via AP)

Military training jet crashes in Tennessee

Published: Sunday, October 01, 2017 @ 11:36 PM

File photo.  (Photo by Brandon Wade/Getty Images for NASCAR)
Brandon Wade/Getty Images for NASCAR
File photo. (Photo by Brandon Wade/Getty Images for NASCAR)(Brandon Wade/Getty Images for NASCAR)

A military training plane crashed Sunday in the Cherokee National Forest near Tellico Plains, Tennessee.

>> Read more trending news

Two pilots, an instructor and student, were aboard a T-45C Goshawk training in the area and had not returned to the Naval Air Station in Meridian, Mississippi, according to the U.S. Navy.

Their status is unknown.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Navy recovers remains of 10 sailors killed in USS John S. McCain crash

Published: Sunday, August 27, 2017 @ 9:35 PM

USS John S. McCain: Remains Of All 10 Missing Sailors Found

Update 9:30 p.m. EDT Aug. 27: The U.S. Navy's 7th Fleet said on Sunday that officials have recovered the bodies of all 10 sailors killed when the USS John S. McCain collided with a merchant ship on Aug. 21 near Singapore.

Officials continue to investigate the collision.

Original report: The U.S. Navy on Thursday identified a sailor whose remains were found after the USS John S. McCain collided with a merchant ship near Singapore earlier this week.

>> Read more trending news

Divers recovered the remains of Electronics Technician 3rd Class Kenneth Aaron Smith, 22, officials said.

Nine other sailors remain missing. Navy officials identified them as:

  • Electronics Technician 1st Class Charles Nathan Findley, 31, from Missouri
  • Interior Communications Electrician 1st Class Abraham Lopez, 39, from Texas
  • Electronics Technician 2nd Class Kevin Sayer Bushell, 26, from Maryland
  • Electronics Technician 2nd Class Jacob Daniel Drake, 21, from Ohio
  • Information Systems Technician 2nd Class Timothy Thomas Eckels Jr., 23, from Maryland
  • Information Systems Technician 2nd Class Corey George Ingram, 28, from New York
  • Electronics Technician 3rd Class Dustin Louis Doyon, 26, from Connecticut
  • Electronics Technician 3rd Class John Henry Hoagland III, 20, from Texas
  • Interior Communications Electrician 3rd Class Logan Stephen Palmer, 23, from Illinois 

Crews searched a 2,100-square mile area east of the Straits of Malacca and Singapore after the Liberian-flagged Alnic MC and the USS John S. McCain collided on Monday. Five sailors were injured.

>> Related: 10 sailors missing after USS John S. McCain collides with tanker

Divers continued Thursday to search the flooded compartments of the USS John S. McCain, although officials said the efforts had shifted from a rescue to a recovery mission.

Monday’s crash was the second major collision involving a U.S. Navy warship from the 7th Fleet in two months, according to The Navy Times. It is the fourth accident involving a naval vessel in the Pacific this year, according to The Washington Post.

Monday’s accident prompted officials to launch an investigation of the 7th Fleet. Navy Adm. John Richardson, chief of naval operations, said the Navy will take a one-day operational pause in response to the accident, to “ensure we are taking all appropriate immediate measures to enhance the Navy’s safe and effective operation around the world.”

>> Related: Navy plans operation pause, calls for review of collisions in the Pacific

The Associated Press reported on Wednesday that the commander of the 7th Fleet was dismissed in the aftermath of the crash.