Police say boy who crashed car near Trump's Mar-a-Lago was suicidal

Published: Monday, March 20, 2017 @ 2:22 PM

A teenager who ran into a fence four blocks from Mar-a-Lago just before President Donald Trump arrived Friday evening was attempting suicide and previously called in terrorist threats to CNN, according to Palm Beach, Florida, police.

>> Read more trending stories

The boy, whose name was redacted from a police report because of his age, was reported as a missing suicidal teen, armed and dangerous with a baseball bat and a metal pipe. According to the report, officers found the bat and pipe in the white Dodge Charger belonging to his mother after the teen crashed it into a construction fence shortly before 6:50 p.m. in Palm Beach.

Trump's motorcade arrived at Mar-a-Lago about 7:10 p.m. The report didn't mention Trump's arrival, or whether the Secret Service considered the teen to be a credible threat to the president.

The boy was apprehended by a Palm Beach County Sheriff's deputy after he backed into a fence on Via Palma, which is within the Secret Service-mandated restricted zone around Mar-a-Lago, the report said. He told officers he ran into the fence while turning around to try to drive into the Intracoastal Waterway and kill himself, according to the report.

>> Related: Trump invites supporters to Mar-a-Lago to say ‘thank you’

The report said the teen drove past two security checkpoints "at a high rate of speed" in the 800 block of South County Road, just north of its intersection with South Ocean Boulevard. That area is restricted to ID-carrying residents only.

The boy was interviewed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation after, the report said, he and a few friends pretended to be refugees in January and prank-called CNN. Federal agents contacted the boy's mother to set up an interview, according to the report, and they later met with an agent. It wasn't clear when he was interviewed. The teen told police that the agent told him being "interviewed by the FBI in reference to terrorism" would be on his "permanent record."

>> Related: Mar-a-Lago dinner: House Oversight chair probes security

"(The boy) stated that he thought his 'life was over' and would never get accepted to a college or acquire a decent job," the report said. "(He) stated he then went home and attempted to commit suicide by shooting himself with a firearm."

When he couldn't find bullets, the report said, the boy took his mother's Charger, which he drove in excess of 110 mph on Northlake Boulevard and on Interstate 95 "in hopes to crash into another vehicle to kill himself."

Police said witnesses called 911 when they saw the Charger traveling at about 80 mph down South County Road in Palm Beach.

The report said he hit a traffic sign and ran at least two red lights in Midtown while heading south toward the restricted zone.

The investigation was turned over to the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office, according to the report. The sheriff's office on Saturday said the boy was given a traffic citation and was ordered to undergo a mental health evaluation at the JFK North/West Palm Behavioral Health center in West Palm Beach.

Developer to resume Topgolf planning despite findings of slave cemetery

Published: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 @ 11:07 PM

(WSOCTV.com)

When developer Matthew Browder bought a large piece of land five years ago, he had no idea what laid beneath.

>> Read more trending news

He showed WSOC-TV where radar detected a slave cemetery. 

A newly released report proved there are slave graves on a University City property where developers are trying to build a brand new Topgolf venue. The developers hired a local historian to research the site after neighbors raised concerns over the possibility there was a slave cemetery in the area. 

>> RELATED: New Topgolf could border slave cemetery in University City

White flags mark the 19 bodies buried in shallow graves.

Despite the incredible historical significance, Browder said it will not deter plans to build nearly 400 apartments, 40,000 square feet of retail space and a Topgolf. 

“We are going to make sure this is not disturbed and protected regardless,” Browder said.

"(They) plan on moving forward, which is still shocking," said Darrin Rankin, who opposes the development.

A ground penetration crew, using radar equipment, counted 19 bodies buried right outside the cemetery next to Mallard Creek Presbyterian Church.

WSOC-TV reported earlier this month that neighbors claimed there was a slave cemetery on the grounds, and now a historian's 28-page report confirms it.

Charter Properties and Browder Development Group are asking the city to rezone the property.

Developers said that they've spent roughly $20,000 on the cemetery, working with a consultant. They are promising not to disturb the graves and said they plan to work with the church to preserve them.

“There is a right thing to do here, and that's what we're going to do, regardless of what happens,” said Browder. “So whether we get our zoning or don't get our zoning, whether something is approved or not approved, this area is not going to get disturbed, period.”

Neighbors who've been fighting the proposal said they're not satisfied with the report.

“How big is this slave cemetery? How deep into the woods does it go?” Rankin asked.

The historian who reviewed the property said he is confident they have found the boundaries of the slave cemetery.

Browder said the slaves are buried on less than a tenth of an acre, and he plans on leaving them there.

“It’s important to the history of the area, and it’s important that these people be recognized and respected,” Browder said.

Pregnant woman bitten by brown recluse spider while sleeping

Published: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 @ 11:01 PM

A pregnant woman named Kendall Butler (pictured) has a large area of dead skin from a brown recluse spider bite.

A pregnant woman is still recovering from a brown recluse spider bite that happened while she was sleeping happened about a month ago.

Kendall Butler said she woke up, killed the spider and took it to the hospital with her immediately.

>> Read more trending news

Doctors were able to stop the infection and keep her unborn child safe by using antibiotics. However, she does have a large area of skin on her stomach that died because of the spider’s venom.

Doctors said they don’t want to fully treat the wound yet because of the baby. Originally, the plan was to evacuate the wound and then look into skin grafts once the child is born.

Now, Butler’s doctors say the wound needs to be evacuated sooner. They will wait until July 10 when the baby is seven weeks from the due date. Experts believe she’ll be strong enough by then to be born early, just in case anything happens during the procedure.

A Green Country entomologist said that Oklahoma’s mild winter caused more dangerous insects to come out early.

Experts say people should take precautions against insects while outside, but that there isn’t much to be done indoors but have homes sprayed.

The Centers for Disease Control says that even though people fear bug spray with DEET is bad for pregnant women, it’s actually recommended with the same precautions as those who are not pregnant or lactating.

Ohio man survives overdose on tracks as train passes over him

Published: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 @ 8:49 PM

(Journal-News)

Emergency crews say a Middletown, Ohio, man who overdosed is lucky to be alive after he fell onto nearby railroad tracks.

>> Read more trending news

When Jesse O’Neill, 46, allegedly overdosed Friday night, he fell onto the railroad tracks near University Boulevard, fire officials said. O’Neill fell between the tracks, and he wasn’t hit when a Norfolk-Southern train passed over him around 8:30 p.m., officials said.

He was revived after Middletown paramedics gave him five milligrams of Narcan, according to Middletown Division of Police report. He was taken to Atrium Medical Center.

O’Neill told officers and paramedics he snorted heroin after he got into an argument with his live-in girlfriend. He told police he didn’t remember passing out nor the train passing over him.

The conductor told police he saw the man lying between the tracks, and by the time he stopped the train, 26 rail cars had passed over the man.

The train was stopped between 30 and 45 minutes and blocked four city intersections: University and Manchester, Central and University, First and University, and Grand Avenue and University, the report stated.

O’Neill was charged with disorderly conduct, criminal trespass and inducing panic.

Uber now allows users to request a ride for someone else

Published: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 @ 10:37 PM

Need to help your friend or family member catch a ride? Uber can help you out, because you can now use the service to request a car for someone else. 

The company announced the news this week, revealing you can book a trip for anyone in your contact list, even if they don’t have the app. 

>> Read more trending news

“We’re committed to providing safe, reliable transportation options for everyone in the family – including seniors,” Uber said in a post on its newsroom site. “So no matter where your loved ones need to be – and where you are located – a safe, reliable ride is just a few taps away.”

Related: Uber co-founder Travis Kalanick resigns as CEO, report says

When you’re ready for an Uber, you will have the option to select yourself or another person as a passenger. Once the request has been processed, the rider will receive a text message with all the details of the trip, a link to track it and the direct contact information for the driver.

RELATED: Is Uber safe? People questioning after reports of recent assaults 

You will also be able to follow along and pay for the trip with the card stored in the app. For areas that accept cash, the passenger can pay for the ride at the end of the trip.

The feature, which is currently available in the U.S. and 30 other countries, became available on Tuesday.