CLOSINGS AND DELAYS:

Alter High School, Ascension School, BSF Dayton Day Women, Jefferson Township Local Schools, Kettering City Schools, L&M Products Inc., Liberty High School, Mont. Co. E.S.C. Learning Centers, Moraine Seniors Citizens Club, Ron West Barber College, Senior Center of Sidney/Shelby Co., Sidney City Schools, Sidney Holy Angels, Southeastern Local Schools, St. Albert the Great School, St. Charles Elementary, Wilmington City Schools,

Officer who made 4,000 DUI arrests loses daughter to alleged drunken driver

Published: Sunday, September 13, 2015 @ 8:30 AM
Updated: Sunday, September 13, 2015 @ 8:30 AM

Trending on Facebook

More popular and trending stories

An Indiana police officer was working a DUI checkpoint Aug. 22 when he received a phone call with devastating news: His daughter had been killed by a suspected drunken driver.

Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department Officer Dan Shragal, 48, recently shared the story about the loss of his daughter, 22-year-old Kirstin Burton, in an emotional interview with WXIN-TV.

“We had just taken a break and were coming back to finish up and my phone rang. I saw that it was Kirstin’s mom, and through the sobbing and the screaming, she got out that Kirstin was dead," said Shragal, a 25-year IMPD veteran who has made nearly 4,000 DUI arrests.

>> Read more trending stories

According to the New York Daily News, an alleged drunken driver in a pickup truck struck Burton in Dayton, Ohio. Burton's car crashed into a tree, killing her and critically injuring her 14-month-old son, Orion, who was in the back seat. 

"I was furious that the one I couldn't get my hands on took my daughter," Shragal told WXIN.

Shragal said he is determined to get back to work and prevent other tragedies by getting more drunken drivers off the road.

In the meantime, he can take some comfort in remembering his final exchange with Burton, known for her inspirational words on Periscope and love for her friends and family.

“I’m blessed that the last words I said to my daughter were, ‘I love you, Sunshine,’ and she said, ‘I love you too, Daddy,'" he told WXIN.

GoFundMe page has been started to collect donations for the family. Click here to learn more.

Washington State University quarterback Tyler Hilinski found dead with apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound

Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 12:06 AM

TUCSON, AZ - OCTOBER 28:  Quarterback Tyler Hilinski #3 of the Washington State Cougars looks to make a pass in the second half of the game against the Arizona Wildcats at Arizona Stadium on October 28, 2017 in Tucson, Arizona. The Arizona Wildcats won 58-37.  (Photo by Jennifer Stewart/Getty Images)
Jennifer Stewart/Getty Images
TUCSON, AZ - OCTOBER 28: Quarterback Tyler Hilinski #3 of the Washington State Cougars looks to make a pass in the second half of the game against the Arizona Wildcats at Arizona Stadium on October 28, 2017 in Tucson, Arizona. The Arizona Wildcats won 58-37. (Photo by Jennifer Stewart/Getty Images)(Jennifer Stewart/Getty Images)

Police in Pullman, Washington, say officers have found Washington State University quarterback Tyler Hilinkski dead Tuesday in an apartment with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. 

>> Read more trending news

At about 4:30 p.m., officers responded to an apartment to check on the welfare of a football player who did not show up for practice earlier in the day. 

When officers arrived, they found Hilinkski, 21, deceased with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. 

Police said a rifle was recovered next to Hilinski and a note was found. 

Washington State president Kirk Schulz tweeted, “Our thoughts and prayers are with the Hilinski family.”

Former Washington State linebackers coach Roy Manning, who recently left for a position at UCLA, tweeted , “Words can’t describe what I’m feeling right now. My heart is beyond saddened. Please pray for the family and all of us affected!”

Hilinski, from Claremont, Calif., recently finished his redshirt sophomore season for the Cougars.

He started in place of Senior Luke Falk in the Cougars loss to Michigan State in the Holiday Bowl. 

Hilinski played 11 games in his Cougars career, passing for 1,149 yards and seven touchdowns.

Hilinski was the presumptive starting quarterback going into next season. 

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Haitians under protected status call on administration to process work permits

Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 11:47 PM

Haitian and American flags(Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
Joe Raedle/Getty Images
Haitian and American flags(Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)(Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

Thousands of Haitians living in Central Florida said they're just days away from being forced out of their jobs.

>> Read more trending news

Many of those worried are workers at Disney World.

They were granted Temporary Protected Status after an earthquake devastated their country in 2010.

They’re now finding out their jobs are in limbo, because their work authorizations are about to expire and new applications aren't being processed.

The change affects more than 500 workers at Disney, many of whom have families and homes in Central Florida.

In October, dozens of Haitians marched through the streets of Pine Hills, calling on the Trump administration to renew their TPS.

Many were facing the possibility of being forced to leave the country before the administration extended TPS until July of 2019 for more than 50,000 Haitians living and working in the U.S.

But now, they're facing another dilemma.

Wilna Destin has lived in Orlando 18 years.

She's married with two children and she has no idea what will happen next week when her and her husband's work authorization permits expire.

"That hurts, you know. It hurts your family,” she said.

TPS workers in Central Florida said they've learned the administration is not even processing their work authorization applications, which they need to stay employed.

Sano Leger, a union representative, said it affects workers all through the tourist corridor.

"Most of those big hotels, they have people who have TPS working in there,” he said.

The Disney unions are planning a rally Thursday afternoon outside the crossroads entrance to Disney to bring attention to their dilemma and to demand that the Trump administration allow Haitian TPS holders to work.

DACA deal on sidelines as GOP floats new short term funding plan to avoid shutdown

Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 6:09 PM

Waving off a push by Democrats to force action this week on a compromise over the future of illegal immigrant “Dreamers,” Republicans in Congress said they wanted to wait for further negotiations on DACA, as House GOP leaders unveiled a short term funding plan that would keep the federal government running into mid-February, but that plan faced immediate resistance from some more conservative Republicans.

“There is no reason why Congress should hold government funding hostage over the issues of illegal immigration,” said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, who said a resolution on DACA could wait until February or March.

But even without DACA in the mix, a new temporary funding plan unveiled by House Republican leaders last night got a tepid embrace from GOP lawmakers, frustrated by the lack of an overall budget agreement for 2018.

The biggest red flag came from more conservative members of the House Freedom Caucus, who argue the GOP should forge ahead with a plan to fully fund the military for 2018, while leaving all other government operations on a stop gap budget.

After a meeting Tuesday night, Freedom Caucus chair Rep. Mark Meadows (R-NC) made it clear that the group was not ready to endorse the GOP funding plan, which would keep the government running through February 19.

The goal is to use that extra time to reach a broader budget deal with Democrats, allowing the Congress to then approve a larger “Omnibus” funding plan for the 2018 budget year – which began back on October 1, 2017.

It was a replay of a familiar scenario on Capitol Hill, where House Republican infighting might lead to a shutdown at the end of the week.

“It’s a possibility, yes,” said Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-OK), when asked about the chances of a shutdown.

“But I don’t think it’s really going to happen,” Inhofe told reporters. “Nobody really wants it on either side.”

The new GOP stopgap budget unveiled on Tuesday evening included a few sweeteners, as leaders added to the funding plan a provision that reauthorizes the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) through 2023.

“Without immediate action to fund CHIP, millions of low-income children will receive notices in the coming weeks that they might lose their health coverage,” said Rep. Greg Walden (R-OR) and Rep. Mike Burgess (R-TX) in a statement.

While the CHIP extension had been expected, the GOP stopgap budget included something else that was a big surprise – as the bill would suspend three different taxes from the Obama health law.

While Republicans try to find the votes to support that plan, a bipartisan group of Senators will unveil the final details of their DACA compromise on Wednesday, in hopes of stirring more support.

“I don’t know how this movie ends,” said Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC), who very publicly said he thought the President had signed on to the compromise DACA plan last Thursday, but then had his mind changed by immigration hard liners in the White House, and the Senate.

One of those opponents is Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR), who bluntly told the DACA group of six Senators not to even try to push ahead with their plan.

“Might as well roll it straight into the trash can,” Cotton said of the DACA deal, which he has labeled a mass amnesty.

Meanwhile, Democrats were hoping for a budget impasse, as they argue that a resolution on DACA could still be added into the mix this week.

Many Republicans say they also want action on DACA, but they understand in the current environment – after the blow up over what the President said – or did not say – last week, that no agreement can happen right now.

“Unfortunately, about every time we get close to putting our toes in the water, something happens,” said Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-GA).

The tentative plan is for the House to try to vote on a stop gap budget on Thursday. The Senate could then pass the same measure before a Friday night shutdown deadline.

Man accused of taking manhole covers, replacing them with traffic cones

Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 2:56 PM

Man Accused Of Using Traffic Cones To Replace Manhole Covers

A Massachusetts man has been accused of taking manhole covers from roads across the town.

Police in Webster said he was kind enough, however, to cover the empty holes -- which measure from 4 to 12 feet deep -- with traffic cones so no one would run over them in their cars, The Worcester, Massachusetts, Telegram reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Darrin Lavallee now faces larceny charges, the paper reported.

Police were called by several eyewitnesses, who said they saw a man in a PT Cruiser taking the manhole covers. Eventually police found a car that matched the vehicle’s description and found orange cones inside. Police told The Telegram that the covers had been in the car recently.

Lavallee apparently told police that the manhole covers ended up at a local salvage yard, where police said he sold them, The Telegram reported. Police were able to recover the pilfered covers.