Navy sailor presumed overboard found hiding on ship: report

Published: Thursday, June 15, 2017 @ 9:56 AM

Navy Sailor Presumed Overboard Found Hiding On Ship

A sailor, whose disappearance from a naval ship off the coast of Japan last week sparked a days-long search and presumptions that the man had fallen overboard, has been found alive aboard the ship.

>> Read more trending news

The U.S. 7th Fleet said Gas Turbine Systems Technician (Mechanical) 3rd Class Peter Mims, 23, was found Thursday, one week after he vanished from the USS Shiloh as the ship was 180 miles east of Okinawa, Japan.

The circumstances surrounding Mims’ disappearance remained under investigation Thursday. Citing unidentified sources familiar with the situation, the Navy Times reported that Mims apparently hid in one of the ship’s engine rooms.

He will be transferred to the USS Ronald Reagan for a medical evaluation.

Mims’ disappearance triggered a multinational search.

The U.S. Navy, Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force and the Japanese Coast Guard spent more than 50 hours combing 5,500 square miles of the Philippine Sea in search of Mims. The search was suspended on June 11, although crewmembers on the Shiloh continued to look for the missing sailor.

“We are thankful to have found our missing shipmate and appreciate all the hard work of our sailors and Japanese partners in searching for him,” said Rear Adm. Charles Williams, commander of Carrier Strike Group 5 and Task Force 70. “I am relieved that this Sailor’s family will not be joining the ranks of Gold Star Families that have sacrificed so much for our country.”

Mims, who has ties to Putnam County, Florida, according to WOKV, enlisted in the Navy in February 2014. He reported to the Shiloh in August 2014.

Officials said he had earned a number of awards, including the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, the Navy Marine Corps Overseas Service Ribbon and the Sea Service Ribbon. He was last promoted in August 2015.

‘I just fired one': 84-year-old man shoots, kills home intruder

Published: Friday, December 08, 2017 @ 10:59 AM

Intruder Killed By 85-Year-Old Man

An elderly man shot and killed one of two intruders at his home early Friday morning in Ellport, Lawrence County, police said.

The 84-year-old man, Don Lutz, was confronted by the intruders about 1:30 a.m. at his Jamison Avenue home, authorities said. An altercation followed.

>>RAW VIDEO: Man describes home invasion shooting

“I just fired one. It was in the dark. He attacked me and he was up close and I shot him,” Lutz said. “They jumped me and we both went on the floor. I scuffled with them on the floor and the one guy rolled over dead and the other guy, he jumped up and went out the door.”

Police investigate after an 85-year-old man's home was broken into. Police said that the man shot and killed one of the intruders. The other ran off.(WPXI.com)

>> Read more trending news 

Police are searching for the second intruder who ran off.

“The other one, maybe the bullet hit him, too. I don’t know. I hope so,” Lutz said.

Lutz said he keeps his gun under his pillow. He’s a little sore, but otherwise in good spirits after the ordeal.

Investigators believe Lutz might have been targeted.

View image on Twitter

Intruder killed by 84-year-old man was family member

Published: Saturday, December 09, 2017 @ 10:40 PM

Elderly Man Kills Intruder Who Was A Family Member

The intruder shot and killed by an elderly homeowner in Lawrence County early Friday morning has been identified as the shooter's nephew-in-law. 

>> Read more trending news

Investigators told Channel 11 the man has been identified as Dennis Mercadante, 49.

Mercadante was identified by using facial recognition by Pennsylvania State Police. 

Investigators said Don Lutz, 84, was confronted by two intruders, Mercadante and another suspect, at about 1:30 a.m. Friday at his Jamison Avenue home, and an altercation followed.

“I just fired one. It was in the dark. He attacked me and he was up close and I shot him,” Lutz said.

“They jumped me and we both went on the floor. I scuffled with them on the floor and the one guy rolled over dead and the other guy, he jumped up and went out the door.”

Police are still searching for the second suspect, who ran off. 

“The other one, maybe the bullet hit him, too. I don’t know. I hope so,” Lutz said.

Anonymous donor buys every toy at Goodwill, gives them to children

Published: Sunday, December 10, 2017 @ 8:11 PM

File photo.  (Photo by John Moore/Getty Images)
John Moore/Getty Images
File photo. (Photo by John Moore/Getty Images)(John Moore/Getty Images)

For nearly a decade, an anonymous donor has bought every toy in a Goodwill so that any child who walks through the door leaves with something. 

>> Read more trending news

Children who walked into the store on Saturday were invited to choose a toy, stuffed animal or a book, according to The Coloradoan.

Tarryn Henkelman, 6, was able to replace her recently broken scooter with a blue one she found. 

The donor and his wife watched as children crowded around the toy section, and then they left the store unnoticed. The event has become an important family tradition for them.

Todd Wakefield worked at the store the first year the man came in and bought all the toys. 

Wakefield, who now works at Goodwill’s corporate office, made a point to attend the event this year.

"We've got some amazing people throughout our community," Wakefield said. "This is what our business is run on, people willing to give and to help their community."

Bullied boy's confessional video resonating across the globe

Published: Sunday, December 10, 2017 @ 6:47 PM

File photo.  (Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images)
Spencer Platt/Getty Images
File photo. (Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images)(Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

Holding back tears, a Tennessee boy asked a simple question. 

"Just out of curiosity -- why do they bully? What's the point of it," said Keaton Jones. 

>> Read more trending news

Keaton's confessional video about bullying has been watched more than 17 million times. His mother posted it on Facebook after Keaton asked to make a video about bullying. She was picking him up early because he was afraid to go to lunch. 

"They make fun of my nose, they call me ugly, they say I have no friends," he said. 

He said that the bullies poured milk on him during lunch. 

At the end of the video, which is not even 90 seconds, Keaton shared a message that has been resonating with people around the world. 

"People that are different don't need to be criticized about it, It's not their fault," he said. "If you are made fun, don't let it bother you. They suck."

Tears were streaming down the 11-year-old's face. 

The video has been shared nearly 350,000 times on Facebook. It's all over Twitter. People are demanding change and celebrities are tweeting in support of the middle school student, including members of the Tennessee football team. 

Along with messages of support, the video has also resulted in memes, shared to Keaton's mom's Facebook page.

The family said they have been overwhelmed with the response, and his sister said on Twitter that the messages have brought joy to Keaton.

Members of the Tennessee football team are working to organize a meeting at his school to stop the bullying and raise Keaton's spirits. 

Even with all the attention, Keaton's mom said there's still a lot of work to be done. 

"I'm humbled by the voice my boy has been given, but he's still just a little boy, and he's a little boy who desperately wants acceptance, that I have to try to find a way to navigate him through the difference in true acceptance and attention," Kimberly wrote on Facebook.