National pressure makes village abandon its controversial town seal

Updated: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 @ 5:30 PM
Published: Saturday, January 23, 2016 @ 2:07 PM
By: Ben Lawson

Trending on Facebook

Whitesboro, New York, will officially change its town seal after many called it racist.

Critics of the seal, which appears to show a white man choking a Native American, say it celebrates violence against Native Americans. The seal got national attention after "The Daily Show" aired a segment about the town.

>> Read more trending stories

"Is that pioneer choking that Native American to death, or do I have something crazy in my eye?" asked Jessica Williams of "The Daily Show."

The official history of the seal says it depicts a friendly wrestling match that fostered good relations between the village's founder and Native Americans. (Video via WKTV)

Residents voted to keep the seal earlier this month but reversed that decision after the national backlash.

"Nobody wants to be the brunt of jokes in any community, so I'm pleased that they reached this decision," said Oneida County Executive Anthony Picente.

Local officials say they are working with Oneida Indian Nation leaders to create a new emblem that "preserves history" and ensures the village is "seen as the inclusive place that it is."

This video includes a post from Facebook / Village of Whitesboro.

Officials: 'Pokemon Go' players discover body in cemetery

Updated: Saturday, August 27, 2016 @ 7:24 AM
Published: Saturday, August 27, 2016 @ 7:01 AM
By: Katie Hall - Austin American-Statesman

            Officials: 'Pokemon Go' players discover body in cemetery
(Photo by Brendon Thorne/Getty Images)

Two people in Texas discovered the body of a man while playing the cellphone game "Pokemon Go," and the sheriff's department is now investigating the death as a homicide, officials said.

>> Read more trending stories

The man has been identified as Christopher Robert Lowe, 34, of New Braunfels, the Comal County sheriff's office said. A man and a woman discovered Lowe's body just before noon Thursday at the Saint Joseph Cemetery in the 100 block of Wenzel Lane off FM 482.

>> Related: 'Pokemon Go' player finds body floating in New Hampshire brook

The circumstances at the scene indicated Lowe's death was a homicide, the sheriff's office said.

It's not the first time "Pokemon Go" players have stumbled upon bodies while playing the augmented-reality game. A Wyoming teen found a dead body in a river while searching for water Pokemon last month. Another body was found in Nashua, New Hampshire's Salmon Brook, although authorities noted the death did not appear suspicious.

Police: Man strips to his boxers, runs truck into plane at airport

Updated: Saturday, August 27, 2016 @ 5:00 AM
Published: Saturday, August 27, 2016 @ 4:31 AM
By: Zach Dennis

            Police: Man strips to his boxers, runs truck into plane at airport
File photo

A man was arrested on Thursday after police said he was found acting peculiar before he climbed a fence, took off his clothes and drove a truck into a plane about to leave the airport.

>> Read more trending stories

Delairo Koonce, 35, was seen by officers at around 9:30 p.m. on Thursday parking his pickup truck near the parking garage at the Omaha Airport in Nebraska. The Omaha World-Herald reports officers said he screaming that "people were trying to kill him," and that the man may have been under the influence of drugs. Police said they tried to calm him down, but he was paranoid and ran towards the garage.

Koonce ran toward the front area of the airport before disappearing into the night and climbing a fence, police said. He took off his pants and shirt and got into a Southwest Airlines pickup in only his boxers, police added.

Officers said they chased Koonce as he headed under a jet bridge and ended up driving into the nose gear of a Southwest Airlines plane that was set to leave for Las Vegas. According to the World-Herald, the "plane’s nose gear was flattened" and a few passengers, and the pilot, suffered minor injuries from the accident.

Beth and Tom Lantry, who were flying to Denver, told NBC News that they "felt a big jolt" while David Postier said he "heard a loud boom and crash." Koonce suffered injuries after he was cut from the barbs on the fence and hit his head on the windshield of the truck during the crash.

He was arrested on charges of felony destruction of property and vehicle theft.

Read more at the Omaha World-Herald.

Bystanders hold up children's ride after it collapses at fair

Updated: Saturday, August 27, 2016 @ 4:04 AM
Published: Saturday, August 27, 2016 @ 3:46 AM
By: Hope Jensen - WSB - Atlanta

Dozens of people came together to hold up a fair ride when one of the legs broke Thursday evening at the Bartow County Fair in Georgia.

>> Read more trending stories

Six children were on the roller coaster at the time, but no one was injured when it broke. The ride is now closed until it passes state inspection.

"I was scared to go over there; I thought I was going to see someone cut in half," witness Whitney Castro said.

Castro recorded the aftermath when a children's coaster called the Orient Express derailed.

"When I saw the ride tip, my stomach dropped," Castro said. "I was scared I was going to see dead people."

The Georgia State Fire Marshal found improper welding on the track that held the coaster, which WSB learned has not been inspected since April 15.

Three more rides were shut down Friday after inspectors found additional problems.

The fair will be fined monetarily if there are any other issues.

Officials say the fair will now be subject to pop-up inspections.

This is why you don't ride the fair rides! This roller coaster almost fell over with kids on it!!!!!!  If it wasn't for some quick adults, this would have ended a lot worse. I am still shaking. My child was not on it thankfully. Nobody was hurt, a lot of scared little kids. This ride was being balanced and held up by boards.
Posted by Whitney Castro on Thursday, August 25, 2016

Wife listens to entire 4-hour rescue of big-rig driver after interstate crash

Updated: Friday, August 26, 2016 @ 8:28 PM
Published: Friday, August 26, 2016 @ 8:04 PM
By: Ken Lemon - WSOC

WSOC has learned that Jackson Musyoka, of Flower Mound, Texas, is the driver who was trapped for nearly four hours inside his tractor-trailer Thursday on Interstate 85.

Firefighters and rescuers worked in the heat and in poison oak for hours to save Musyoka, who officials said lost his leg in the crash.

They feared he would die, but reassured him the whole time that he would be OK.

>> Read more trending stories

WSOC learned Musyoka’s wife was on the phone with him when the crash happened.

"That was the worst ever, just to hear all of that," Tyshell Musyoka said, adding that her husband looked down for a brief moment while driving and when he looked back up the truck was swerving. 

"I heard the tumbling and everything.  Then it got silent for a minute and then that's when I started hearing him screaming for help," she said. 

He had no idea his wife was still on the phone, listening and worrying, until rescuers arrived. His wife heard their voices. 

"The way they were doing him it pretty much eased my mind," she said.

Tyshell Musyoka couldn't hear everything, but she heard rescuers asking for room just as they got him free. J's ackson Musyokacell phone battery died before they took him out. She didn't get to hear them taking him up to a waiting helicopter.

"I just want to say, Thank you so much,'" Tyshell Musyoka said. 

Tyshell Musyoka said her husband is weak, but in good spirits.

Police are still not sure what caused the 18-wheeler to go off the interstate.

Fireman shares his rescue story

Fireman Alex Hardee worked side-by-side with other rescuers.

"Four hours for me. That’s a first,"  Hardee said. "That’s the longest that I have probably been a part of," Hardee said.

Authorities said the trucker’s leg was so badly damaged, paramedics considered amputating it on the scene.

Hardee climbed into the rig in full turnout gear on a blistering hot day.

"Your body temperature, no matter how much you sweat, you can’t drink enough water," Hardee said.

Fire crews took turns so that they didn't overheat, going up and down a steep hill.

Cables from a large wrecker kept the truck from sliding further down hill.

"We have a job to do. We signed up to do this. We trained for this," Hardee said, adding for four hours firefighters and police focused on the trucker trapped inside.

"Keeping him abreast of the steps were taking to extricate him. Just more or less talking to him and keeping him calm," he said.

They had to remove the floor of the rig to pull him out. Hardee helped to take him back up the hill to a waiting medical helicopter.

"We were excited. We were glad that he was out. Then we got right back into the mode of, ‘We got to get him out of here,’" Hardee said.

They saved his life, but the damage to his leg was too severe. Doctors at the hospital amputated his leg. One officer said it’s still a success and that in 29 years he has never had rescue last so long and have the patient survive.


Jackson and Tyshell Musyoka Aug 26, 2016 - 8:09 PM