NASA to honor Armstrong at National Cathedral

Published: Thursday, September 13, 2012 @ 9:17 AM
Updated: Thursday, September 13, 2012 @ 9:17 AM

Dignitaries, community and political leaders, members of the Armstrong family and members of the NASA family, including current and former astronauts, will pay respects to Neil Armstrong  in a memorial held at the  Washington National Cathedral today. The Ohio native and  the first man to walk on the moon died Aug. 25. The memorial will start at 10 a.m. EST and be broadcast live on NASA Television and streamed online by the agency's and National Cathedral's websites, according to a realease by NASA.

Armstrong has a history at the Cathedral. He, along with fellow astronauts Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins, presented the National Cathedral with a moon rock brought back during their Apollo 11 mission. The presentation took place in a July 21, 1974 service commemorating the fifth anniversary of the first lunar landing. The iconic Space Window that later would display the sliver of lunar rock also was dedicated at that service.

Information provided by NASA.

Roger Goodell calls Trump’s attack on NFL players’ protests ‘divisive’

Published: Saturday, September 23, 2017 @ 12:46 PM

Donald Trump and Roger Goodell attend the NY Jets kickoff luncheon party at Cipriani Wall Street on August 27, 2008 in New York. 
Al Pereira/Getty Images
Donald Trump and Roger Goodell attend the NY Jets kickoff luncheon party at Cipriani Wall Street on August 27, 2008 in New York. (Al Pereira/Getty Images)

National Football League Commissioner Roger Goodell has called President Donald Trump’s comments on NFL players’ national anthem protests, “divisive.”

>> Read more trending news

"The NFL and our players are at our best when we help create a sense of unity in our country and our culture,” Goodell said in a statement Saturday morning.

“There is no better example than the amazing response from our clubs and players to the terrible natural disasters we've experienced over the last month," he said.

Trump, speaking at a political rally in Alabama Friday night, used profane language while calling on the NFL to fire players protesting racial injustice by kneeling during the national anthem.

“Wouldn’t you love one of the NFL owners, when someone disrespects our flag, to say, ‘Get that son of a (expletive) off the field right now? Out. He’s fired!’” Trump said.

Goodell said Trump’s comments show an ignorance of what the NFL stands for and what it means to be a football player.

"Divisive comments like these demonstrate an unfortunate lack of respect for the NFL, our great game and all of our players, and a failure to understand the overwhelming force for good our clubs and players represent in our communities," the commissioner said.

Trump also blamed the protests for lower NFL ratings this season, contending that they have negatively affected the game.

>> Related: Donald Trump says NFL national anthem protesters should be ‘off the field’ and fired

Former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick first started kneeling during the national anthem last year to protest police violence against minorities. Since then other NFL players have joined in the protests, and players in other sports have, too.

 

Massachusetts man shoots, kills 6-year-old son before committing suicide, DA says

Published: Friday, September 22, 2017 @ 11:48 PM

Massachusetts Man Shot and Killed Son Before Committing Suicide, DA Says

A Foxborough, Massachusetts, man shot and killed his 6-year-old son Thursday night before turning the gun on himself and committing suicide, the Norfolk County District Attorney said Friday morning.

Around 11:30 p.m. Thursday, the Foxborough Police Department received a 911 call from a neighbor to report what appeared to be a medical emergency.

>> Read more trending news

“First responders came to the scene and located 6-year-old Anthony Scaccia suffering from a single gunshot wound,” District Attorney Michael Morrissey said at a news conference Friday morning. “He was taken to Norwood Hospital where he was pronounced dead.”

First responders also located William Scaccia Jr., 49, Anthony’s father, dead from a single gunshot wound to the head, Morrissey said.

>> Related: Mother feared father would kill son, self, affidavit says

“As far as we know he was not living at that house,” Foxborough police Chief William Baker said.

“The occupants of the house, including this child, had a family relationship with him and had lived there previously.”

Baker said the police department had previous run-ins with William Scaccia.

“The history recently led me to deny him a pistol permit in July of this year,” Baker said. “He appealed that denial to the District Court in Wrentham. On Sept. 8, the judge in the District Court supported my denial, preventing him from being licensed from having a firearm.”

Baker reiterated the fact that they had previous history with William Scaccia, which were described as “family and domestic relationships,” which, he said, were complicated.

One of those run-ins with police, Baker said, led to his arrest on Sept. 16.

The incident is under investigation by state and local authorities, and Morrissey said a weapon and shell casings were recovered from the scene.

“There was also some evidence that an accelerant was spread through parts of the house and in a hallway area and upstairs,” Morrissey said. 

The boy’s grandmother was asleep in the home and awoke to smoke and flames. She was able to extinguish the fire before first responders arrived.

Baker said the most important part of this incident, in his opinion, was the killing of Anthony Scaccia.

He said that in his previous jurisdictions the police department created public service announcements pleading to “people on the edge” to reach out to clergy or other resources to get them the help they need. 

“Seek help rather than make a horrific decision like this, to take the life of an innocent child,” Baker said. 

Foxborough Public Schools Superintendent Debbie Spinelli said the entire community was shaken.

“Our hearts go out to this sweet little boy who was just starting his educational journey and to those who loved and cared for him,” Spinelli said in a statement. “Counselors are available at school (Friday) morning for our students and staff, and will continue next week.”

Donald Trump says NFL anthem protesters should be ‘off the field’ and fired

Published: Friday, September 22, 2017 @ 11:21 PM

President Donald Trump speaks during a campaign rally for Senate candidate Luther Strange, Friday, Sept. 22, 2017, in Huntsville, Ala. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)
Evan Vucci/AP
President Donald Trump speaks during a campaign rally for Senate candidate Luther Strange, Friday, Sept. 22, 2017, in Huntsville, Ala. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)(Evan Vucci/AP)

U.S. President Donald Trump is clearly not a fan of the national anthem protests that have been taking place in the NFL over the past year.

>> Read more trending news

While at a Friday campaign rally for Alabama Sen. Luther Strange in Huntsville, Alabama, Trump took on a number of things during his speech, including North Korea and Kim Jong Un, the crowd size of the rally and protests by NFL football players.

Trump considers the protests are disrespectful, and used colorful language to say so.

“Wouldn’t you love one of the NFL owners, when someone disrespects our flag, to say, ‘Get that son of a (expletive) off the field right now. Out. He’s fired!’”

The crowd applauded Trump’s comments.

Trump also referenced NFL ratings, which are down so far this year, and blamed the low numbers on the protests negatively affecting the game. He also blamed rule changes on hard hits.

Trump seems to be taking a shot at former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who was the driving force behind the protests last year. Many players across many different teams and sports have since joined in on the protest during the anthem, generating attention among sports fans and others at large.

Trump withdraws White House invitation to Golden State Warriors

Published: Saturday, September 23, 2017 @ 10:33 AM

Trump Rescinds White House Invitation to Golden State Warriors

President Donald Trump has withdrawn an invitation to the Golden State Warriors to visit the White House after Warrior’s guard Stephen Curry told reporters on Friday that he didn’t want to go.

>> Read more trending news

“Going to the White House is considered a great honor for a championship team,” the president tweeted Saturday morning

“Stephen Curry is hesitating, therefore invitation is withdrawn!” Trump said.

It’s unclear if the Warriors were even invited to the White House to celebrate their NBA championship title, but Curry said on Friday, “I don’t want to go,” The Hill reported.

Trump’s tweet seemed to come after Fox News aired a segment Saturday morning on Curry’s comments.

President Donald Trump is pictured here at  the Turnberry Golf Club in Turnberry, Scotland in 2015.(Ian MacNicol/Getty Images)

When asked why he didn’t want to go, Curry told the SF Gate “that we basically don’t stand for what our president has said, and the things he hasn’t said at the right time.”

Curry commented again on Friday, “You can talk about all the different personalities that have said things and done things - from Kaepernick to what happened with Michael Bennett to all sorts of examples of what has gone on in our country that has led to change,” Curry told reporters, according to Sports Illustrated

“We’re all trying to do what we can using our platforms, using our opportunities to shed light on that. That’s kind of where I stand on that. I don’t think us going to the White House will miraculously make everything better, but this is my opportunity to voice that.”

>> Related: Donald Trump says NFL anthem protesters should be ‘off the field’ and fired

ESPN reported that the team had been in communication with the White House about a visit. 

It’s unclear if Trump’s tweet was directed at the entire team or just Curry.