More than 40 percent of Harvard freshman admit to cheating

Published: Saturday, September 07, 2013 @ 2:04 PM
Updated: Saturday, September 07, 2013 @ 2:04 PM

Is Harvard’s new freshman class full of cheaters? Well, according to a new survey, there are probably more than the Ivy League school expected.

They survey conducted by The Harvard Crimson, cited more than 40 percent of freshmen admitted to cheating on homework and one in 10 said they’ve cheated on tests in the past. (Via WFXT)

Overall, 80 percent of the new freshmen participated in the online survey and many of them didn’t seem afraid to tell the truth about their academic ethics in the past. (Via KOVR)

But making things worse, some university officials think there may be more freshman who aren’t telling the truth about their own cheating —  making cheating numbers even higher. (Via Fox Business)

But Harvard’s paper was able to find some statistics on the respondents that might not surprise you. The New York Post writes: “The school’s jocks cheat more than the nerds, and boys cheat more than girls.”

That’s troubling news to a school that got caught up in a massive cheating scandal just last year. (Via KNBC)

About 70 students were asked to leave the university after a professor noticed all-too-similar answers on a test. That punishment is considered less severe than expulsion. Students asked to leave can eventually re-apply for admission. (Via Daily Mail)

And with academic dishonesty being taken so seriously, many students may have to think twice before peeking off their neighbor’s answers. (Via WCVB)

Starting this year, Harvard has ramped up its anti-cheating efforts. The school’s senior communications officer said in a statement it is taking the matter very seriously.

“While the vast majority of Harvard and other students do their work honestly, beginning this year Harvard College has implemented a new, more robust strategy of communicating with all students, particularly first-year students, about the importance – and the ways to achieve – academic integrity.”

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/09/06/20361014-survey-42-percent-of-harvards-incoming-freshman-class-cheated-on-homework?lite

A similar survey was done to find out how often Harvard’s class of 2013 cheated — the numbers showed older students cheated less than the underclassmen. University officials say students are less likely to cheat as they move forward in their academic careers.

- See more at Newsy.com

Priscilla Presley parts ways with Church of Scientology, reports say

Published: Sunday, October 22, 2017 @ 8:06 PM

File photo.  (Photo by Jesse Grant/Getty Images for Dream Foundation)
Jesse Grant
File photo. (Photo by Jesse Grant/Getty Images for Dream Foundation)(Jesse Grant)

Priscilla Presley has quit the Church of Scientology, 40 years after she joined, according to the Daily Mail.

“I’ve had enough. I’m done,” Presley reportedly said.

>> Read more trending news

Presley — who initially joined the church after the death of her husband, Elvis — allegedly told friends she was leaving.

The church’s membership includes a long list of Hollywood celebrities, including John Travolta and Tom Cruise.

“Priscilla reached out to John Travolta after Elvis died in 1977, and that’s how she ended up in the church,” the source said. “She has been in it ever since, and she raised her daughter, Lisa Marie, in it.”

Lisa Marie Presley left the church in 2014, which apparently made remaining with the church a difficult task for her mother.

“They are very close as a family, and leaving the church has been a family decision,” the source claims.

In recent years, several celebs have ditched the church, including Katie Holmes and Nicole Kidman, who are both ex-wives of Tom Cruise, still a member himself. The testimonies and interviews of former member Leah Remini; one of the stars of the popular sitcom, “King of Queens,” appear to be impacting the church.

Halloween display of nude, disfigured hanging dolls ‘disgusting,’ neighbors say

Published: Sunday, October 22, 2017 @ 4:46 PM

An eerie  hanging doll display pictured here in Mexico is a tourist attraction, but a similar display at a home in Plymouth, Mich., prompted police complaints. The display was removed.
Barcroft Media/Barcroft Media via Getty Images
An eerie  hanging doll display pictured here in Mexico is a tourist attraction, but a similar display at a home in Plymouth, Mich., prompted police complaints. The display was removed.(Barcroft Media/Barcroft Media via Getty Images)

Residents in a neighborhood in Plymouth, Michigan, said they were shocked and a little disturbed by a Halloween display they said crossed the line.

>> Read more trending news

The display featured nude and disfigured dolls bound and hanging from a tree with tape over their  eyes and in various other places.

It was just one of the many displays in a yard full of ghoulish decorations, including gravestones and skulls.

"I think they're cute when they're spooky, but I don't like hers," neighbor Marilyn Yoe told WXYZ.

 

"My grandkids say why would you hang babies in a tree? That's no Halloween."

Yoe wasn’t alone. Other neighbors complained, too.

"I think it's disgusting," KC Gibson said. 

"You see all the ghosts and jack-o'-lanterns on people's porches and then dolls representing little kids being hung from a tree, and that's not what Halloween is about," Gibson told WXYZ.

Plymouth police received multiple calls about the disturbing display, but said the hanging dolls weren’t breaking any laws.

Yoe said that while she didn’t like the display, her neighbors have the right to display anything they want in their yard.

>> Related: Homeowner creates amazing Halloween light show, synced with ‘Feel It Still’

WXYZ reported the family that lives in the house is on vacation, but another relative has since removed the dolls.

Possible serial killer on loose; Florida police link 3 separate murders

Published: Sunday, October 22, 2017 @ 3:03 PM

A  Tampa police officer sits in his patrol car at an abandoned building. Police are asking for the public’s help in finding a possible serial killer, who has already left three people dead over the past 11 days. 
ROBYN BECK/AFP/Getty Images
A  Tampa police officer sits in his patrol car at an abandoned building. Police are asking for the public’s help in finding a possible serial killer, who has already left three people dead over the past 11 days. (ROBYN BECK/AFP/Getty Images)

A possible serial killer is on the loose in a Florida community. 

Three people have been murdered in a Tampa neighborhood over the past 11 days, the victims did not know one another, but police have now linked the killings, according to news reports. 

>> Read more trending news

The latest victim, 20-year-old Anthony Naiboa, got on the wrong bus after work Thursday night and ended up in Seminole Heights, a southeast Tampa neighborhood,  where he was shot and killed.

“He took the wrong bus to this neighborhood; he should not have been to this neighborhood ... he was going to another bus stop and he did not make it,” Police Chief Brian Dugan said during a press conference.

The other two victims — Benjamin E. Mitchell, 22, and Monica C. Hoffa, 32, — also were shot and killed nearby just days earlier. 

Victims of a possible Tampa, Fla., serial killer include, Monica Caridad Hoffa, left, Anthony Naiboa, center, and Benjamin Edward Mitchell.(Tampa Bay Crime Stoppers)

“This is very frustrating,” Dugan said. “I go from frustration to anger (over) these unsolved homicides, and now we have someone terrorizing the neighborhood. It’s just difficult to see this happening,” he said.

Tampa police have released video of a person walking in the area where Mitchell was murdered and are warning people not to walk alone at night. 

CBS News reported that on Friday night residents of the neighborhood took to the streets marching and chanting: "Whose streets? Our streets!"

A $25,000 reward is offered for tips leading to an arrest in the case. 

Family finds crawling worms in Costco chicken at dinner table

Published: Sunday, October 22, 2017 @ 12:18 PM

A worm crawling on a boy’s finger. A family in Canada found worms in their cooked chicken breast dinner from Cosco. The retailer apologized and refunded their money.
Steven Gottlieb/Corbis via Getty Images
A worm crawling on a boy’s finger. A family in Canada found worms in their cooked chicken breast dinner from Cosco. The retailer apologized and refunded their money.(Steven Gottlieb/Corbis via Getty Images)

A Canadian family made a nauseating discovery while eating a chicken dinner last Thursday.

>> Read more trending news

The Mo family of Point Cook, Victoria were stunned to discover worms crawling in their cooked chicken.

Leon Mo said he bought the $6 chicken breast from Costco while shopping with his wife.

Mo told the Herald Sun that his daughter refused to eat the food because she told him “there’s worms.”

He says that when he looked in the package, there were two more worms.

After the skin-crawling discovery, he took the chicken back to the store where they gave him a full refund and filed a report. They also called him the next day to check and see how he was feeling.

Mo noted that the chicken wasn’t yet expired, and says that though he trusts big brand stores, “People need to seriously check the quality.”

>> Related: At a San Antonio Popeyes, this woman got a side of screwworms with her spicy chicken

He and his wife, who was then nine months pregnant, both ate some of the meat, but he says they weren’t sick from the food.