log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 @ 7:58 AM
— She didn’t seem sure as to why she was getting a full-length mirror for Christmas, but it was what was reflected in the glass that mattered.
On the night before Christmas, a Navy mom got the surprise of her lifetime and the video of her daughter’s homecoming has gone viral with more than 8 million views on Twitter.
The mother, who was not identified by Fox News, was told to stand up, close her eyes and unwrap the mirror.
It then took a moment or two for her to notice her sailor daughter standing behind the couch reflected in the gift. But as soon as she realized what was happening, or rather who was there, she started screaming.
Watch the video below, or click here.
Suprised my mom for Christmas, she looked in the mirror and saw her present ❤️❤️ pic.twitter.com/goY4Cf4vjp— chєy$ (@cheeyannahh) December 25, 2017
Ya girl officially swore in ⚓️ pic.twitter.com/9mGnAPkeGU— chєy$ (@cheeyannahh) August 9, 2017
Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 1:13 AM
DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. — Incredible video captured firefighters rescuing a child from a burning building in DeKalb County, Georgia.
The helmet camera video, posted by DeKalb County Fire and Rescue, was taken at the Avondale Forest Apartments on Jan. 3.
The video shows a person on top of a ladder drop a child down to a firefighter as the flames roar around them.
The firefighter catches the child and quickly runs to safety.
"Third-generation DCFR firefighter Capt. Scott Stroup can be seen catching one of the children that was dropped from the third-floor balcony. Great job by all hands operating on this fire as several lifesaving grabs were made that night," the department posted on Facebook.
An estimated 50 people were left without a place to live after the massive fire at the Decatur apartment complex.
Capt. Eric Jackson, with DeKalb County Fire and Rescue, told WSB-TV that four adults and eight children were hurt in the fire.
He said their injuries were minor and mostly related to smoke inhalation.
Firefighters kicked in doors and ushered out residents when they arrived on the scene, Jackson said.
One of the victims told WSB-TV's Steve Gehlbach hearing the screams coming from the people trapped was the most frightening part of the fire for them.
Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 1:41 AM
EUSTIS, Fla. — A young boy died of rabies after being scratched by a bat, according to Christian Academy school officials in Eustis, Florida.
The school posted about the boy’s death on its website, saying that he attended the school in 2016.
The post said Ryker Roque “was a quiet boy adored by teachers and classmates.”
Henry Roque, Ryker's father, took a video of the two on a fishing trip and said they were as close as father and son could be.
He shared pictures and videos of his son with WFTV to share with the world how much he loved his son.
As Ryker underwent an experimental procedure for the rabies infection, Henry held out hope, even as doctors told the family he had virtually no chance of surviving.
"I've seen huge miracles before. And I went back on the bed and laid with him and held him and said, 'Ryker, miracles happen every day. I know you hear me,'" Henry said.
Several weeks ago, Henry said he found a sick bat, which he did not know had rabies, and put it in a bucket, telling Ryker not to touch it.
But Ryker did touch it and was scratched by the bat – but seemed fine, school officials said.
A week later, the child lost use of his legs and “experienced confusion,” having hallucinations and convulsions.
Ryker was hospitalized and an experimental treatment was used, but he died Sunday.
The school held a fundraiser to help the family with medical expenses.
"He was a very sweet boy. Everything he did was nice. The kids loved to play with him because he was the kindest kid," said Connor Jenkins, with the Christian Academy preschool.
Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 3:51 AM
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump and Rep. Frederica Wilson (D-Fla.), who were locked in a well-documented feud months ago over the latter’s account of a phone call between the president and the widow of Army Sgt. La David Johnson, may have a new reason to renew their spat.
Wilson has announced two weeks ahead of Trump’s first State of the Union address that she will be following in the footsteps of Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calf.) and others by ditching the occasion.
The Florida Democrat said “recent racist and incendiary remarks about Haiti and African nations” were the reason why she won’t be on hand for the speech.
“For the first time since I began serving in the U.S. House of Representatives, I will not be attending the president’s State of the Union address. I have no doubt that instead of delivering a message of inclusivity and an agenda that benefits all Americans, President Trump’s address will be full of innuendo, empty promises and lies,” she said in a statement, according to the Tampa Bay Times.
“During his disappointing and destructive first year in office, Mr. Trump has demeaned the presidency at every opportunity and cast doubt on our nation’s standing as a global leader. The United States’ reputation is smoldering in the ashes of his recent racist and incendiary remarks about Haiti and African nations,” she continued. “Many of his proposed domestic policies are harmful to people of color, low-income communities and the middle class. It would be an embarrassment to be seen with him at a forum that under any other president would be an honor to attend.”
As mentioned, Waters also announced that she will not be attending the SOTU.
Waters, who also called Trump a “racist,” went on MSNBC’s “All in with Chris Hayes” to say Trump “does not deserve her attention.”
“Oh no, I didn’t go to the inauguration. I didn’t go to the joint session that was held after that; I don’t intend to go to this one. Why would I take my time to go and listen to a liar, to someone who lies in the face of facts?” she said.
“What does he have to say that I would be interested in?” she added.
Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 11:18 AM
ALLEN, Texas — A Texas girl suffered hallucinations and tried to jump out a second-floor window after she took Tamiflu to fight off a flu diagnosis, family members told KTVT Friday.
The family, who was not identified, told KTVT the girl also ran away from school and might have tried to hurt herself after taking Tamiflu.
“The second-story window was open, which is in her bedroom, and she used her desk to climb up onto it, and she was about to jump out the window when my wife came up and grabbed her,” the girl’s father told KTVT. “I don’t think the 16 hours of symptom relief from the flu is worth the possible side effects that we went through.”
Have you ever noticed this in the fine print of a Tamiflu prescription? One local family says the small risk of neurological side effects happened to their 6-year-old - with consequences that could have been devastating. pic.twitter.com/P47v8qlRA3— Brooke Rogers (@TVNewsBrooke) January 12, 2018
Members of the family, from Allen, told KTVT they took the girl to the hospital, where they were told that Tamiflu carries the rare risk of nervous system problems. Dr. Glenn Hardesty, who works in the emergency room at Texas Health Prosper, told the news station that the side effects are seen in less than 1 percent of patients.
“I’ve been in practice 20 years, and I haven’t seen that particular complication,” he said.
According to the U.S. Food Drug Administration, children and teenagers who take Tamiflu have a higher risk of suffering from seizures, confusion or unusual behavior during their illness.
“These serious side effects are not common but may result in accidental injury to the patient,” according to the FDA. “People who take Tamiflu should be watched for signs of unusual behavior and a health care provider should be contacted right away if the patient shows any unusual behavior while taking Tamiflu.”
Family members told KTVT that they would not have given their child Tamiflu if they were aware of the possible side effects and urged other parents to be aware.
“Know that side effects are there for a reason,” the child’s father told KTVT. “They’re written down for a reason. I guess they can happen, and we got the short end of the stick.”