log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Friday, February 09, 2018 @ 10:33 AM
Updated: Friday, February 09, 2018 @ 10:33 AM
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio — An Ohio man who authorities said impregnated 14-year-old twins and their 12-year-old sister while living in their home was sentenced to 27 years in prison on rape and sexual battery charges.
Assistant Mahoning County Prosecutor Jennifer McLaughlin said before sentencing Thursday in a Youngstown courtroom that 34-year-old Arnold Perry abused the trust of the girls' family after their mother allowed him to move in when he had nowhere to live, according to The Vindicator.
The girls were impregnated in 2015 and 2016. McLaughlin said one of the twins had an abortion while her sisters had babies because their pregnancies were discovered too late to end them. McLaughlin said Perry committed similar crimes as a juvenile.
"These girls will suffer the rest of their lives because of this," McLaughlin said.
Perry pleaded guilty in November to two counts of rape and one count of sexual battery. His plea deal called for a 25-year sentence.
Defense attorney Mark Lavelle said in court that Perry's was the most heinous case he'd ever handled, yet argued his client should be sentenced to between 15 and 16 years in prison. Lavelle said Perry suffered a brain injury as a child that prevents him from having feelings about his actions.
Perry apologized before sentencing.
"I know now what I did was wrong," he said. "I wish I could take it back."
The girls' mother said she is raising two babies, and that Perry's family isn't helping her.
Perry must register as a sex offender for the rest of his life after his release from prison.
Published: Saturday, February 17, 2018 @ 6:00 PM
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A 14-year-old Charlotte girl who disappeared five months ago was found in Georgia this week.
Nakia Williams was last seen Sept. 7, 2017, after leaving her home on Wiegon Lane, according to Charlotte-Mecklenburg police.
Georgia law enforcement officials were able to confirm Wednesday that she was seen in Emanuel County, Georgia, and that she was possibly staying in Toombs County, Georgia, a neighboring county.
“And I thought I heard something wrong, and I was like, 'What did you say?' And she repeated, 'We found her,'” Shrounda Alston, Nakia’s cousin, said.
Nakia’s mother told Channel 9 that she was found that same day in Lyons, Georgia, which is more than 250 miles away from Charlotte.
“I was just able to wrap my arms around her, and just, we just cried for about five minutes,” Cherise Williams-Stowe, Nakia’s mother, told Channel 9. “We were just so happy to see each other.”
The family received the tip they have been praying for for months.
Family and friends did everything they to find Nakia, including handing out flyers and posting on a Facebook page called “Our missing hearts.”
Williams-Stowe told Channel 9 she still doesn't know the whole story of why Nakia disappeared and what happened in the past five months.
“She said she learned a lot while she was out,” Williams-Stowe said. “She learned it was hard trying to be out there on your own and everybody doesn't love you.”
Many of those questions are still being investigated, but Alston said the family can finally rest knowing Nakia is back home.
Published: Saturday, February 17, 2018 @ 11:57 AM
FREDERICK, Md. — A Maryland woman says there was a live surprise in a package of fish she purchased at Costco last week.
Emily Rhoades Randolph said she purchased a package of fresh cod on Feb. 9 at Costco. On Monday, she recorded video of what appears to be a worm wriggling around a corner of the sealed package and posted it on her Facebook page on Wednesday. The sell-by date on the package is the same day she recorded the video, according to Randolph.
Randolph said in the Facebook post that when she returned the contaminated fish to Costco, the clerk at the seafood counter commented that another customer had returned salmon with worms in it. Randolph said she did not receive an apology for the incident.
Published: Saturday, February 17, 2018 @ 1:55 PM
INDIANAPOLIS — An Indianapolis mother is accused of feeding her child a dangerous homemade concoction in an attempt to "cure" the child's autism, police said.
The woman's husband claims his wife placed drops of hydrochloric acid and a water purifying solution that contained chlorine into their child's beverage, FOX59 reported. The woman reportedly referred to the mixture as the "miracle mineral solution" and said she found the recipe on a Facebook group page. The husband told police that his wife had fed their child the toxic mixture a few weeks ago, but he only found out about it last weekend.
The “miracle mineral solution” has been reviewed by the FDA, which warned that it is essentially bleach, FOX59 reported. The mixture is often promoted as being a cure-all for everything from cancer to autism.
Published: Friday, February 16, 2018 @ 8:27 PM
— Once again, first lady Melania Trump gave off the impression that all is not well in her marriage to President Donald Trump when she broke presidential protocol on Friday following a report alleging the president had an affair with former Playboy Playmate Karen McDougal.
As the Trumps headed to Florida to meet with the victims of this week’s mass shooting at a high school, they began the journey separately. While it’s tradition for the couple to cross the White House lawn to Marine One together, Mrs. Trump decided to forgo the usual walk and instead drove separately to Andrews Air Force Base. She arrived in a separate vehicle ahead of the president and ascended the stairs to Air Force One without him.
First lady Melania Trump skipped the traditional South Lawn couple's walk to Marine One for travel to Florida, opting instead to drive separately ahead of President Donald Trump https://t.co/dSuz7mo4fG pic.twitter.com/5zj1bCPXYy— CNN (@CNN) February 16, 2018
“With her schedule, it was easier to meet him on the plane,” Stephanie Grisham, the first lady’s communications director, explained the situation, adding that she does intend to join her husband in visiting the victims.
The suspicious choice comes just hours after The New Yorker published a report based on an account from McDougal, who provided details about her alleged affair with President Trump between June 2006 to April 2007. At the time, the Trumps had been married for two years, and their son, Barron, had been born a few months earlier.
The White House responded to the allegations in a statement saying, “This is an old story that is just more fake news. The President says he never had a relationship with McDougal.”