Man survives shooting himself in heart with nail gun

Published: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 @ 7:49 AM
Updated: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 @ 7:49 AM

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

A Twin Cities carpenter has survived accidentally shooting himself in the heart with a nail gun.

Fifty-eight-year-old Eugene Rakow of St. Bonifacius was building a deck for a neighbor Friday when the 3.5-inch nail pierced his chest.

Rakow says he was leaning against a board with the nail gun at chest level when it "jumped" and he still had his hand on the trigger.

Rakow tells the Star Tribune he could feel it "gurgle a little, crunch a little," and "knew it wasn't good."

Rakow ran to his truck and got his wife on the phone. He was treated at Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis.

A hospital spokeswoman says the nail came within 2 millimeters of a coronary artery.

Rakow was given the nail as a souvenir.

Halloween display of nude, disfigured hanging dolls ‘disgusting,’ neighbors say

Published: Sunday, October 22, 2017 @ 4:46 PM

An eerie  hanging doll display pictured here in Mexico is a tourist attraction, but a similar display at a home in Plymouth, Mich., prompted police complaints. The display was removed.
Barcroft Media/Barcroft Media via Getty Images
An eerie  hanging doll display pictured here in Mexico is a tourist attraction, but a similar display at a home in Plymouth, Mich., prompted police complaints. The display was removed.(Barcroft Media/Barcroft Media via Getty Images)

Residents in a neighborhood in Plymouth, Mich., said they were shocked and a little disturbed by a Halloween display they said crossed the line.

>> Read more trending news

The display featured nude and disfigured dolls bound and hanging from a tree with tape over their  eyes and in various other places.

It was just one of the many displays in a yard full of ghoulish decorations, including gravestones and skulls.

"I think they're cute when they're spooky, but I don't like hers," neighbor Marilyn Yoe told WXYZ-TV.

 

"My grandkids say why would you hang babies in a tree? That's no Halloween."

Yoe wasn’t alone. Other neighbors complained, too.

"I think it's disgusting," KC Gibson said. 

"You see all the ghosts and jack-o'-lanterns on people's porches and then dolls representing little kids being hung from a tree, and that's not what Halloween is about," WMC Actions News 5 reported Gibson said.

Plymouth police received multiple calls about the disturbing display, but said the hanging dolls weren’t breaking any laws.

Yoe said that while she didn’t like the display, her neighbors have the right to display anything they want in their yard.

>> Related: Homeowner creates amazing Halloween light show, synced with ‘Feel It Still’

WXYZ reported the family that lives in the house is on vacation, but another relative has since removed the dolls.

Day care worker slapped 1-year-old girl on head multiple occasions, police say

Published: Sunday, October 22, 2017 @ 5:11 PM

File photo.  (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)
Scott Olson/Getty Images
File photo. (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)(Scott Olson/Getty Images)

A day care worker was caught slapping a 1-year girl on multiple occasions on the back of her head, police said. 

>> Read more trending news

A colleague recorded Jeanine Sammis, 36, slapping the small child separate times in September after first witnessing the abuse at the Long Island KinderCare, Nassau County police told WPIX

“We take all concerns about our teachers and staff seriously and follow a very specific protocol anytime a concern is raised," KinderCare told WPIX.

The child was not injured, according to WPIX.

Sammis worked at the child care facility since August 2015. She quit last week, according to WPIX.

Sammis was arrested and charged with attempted assault and endangering the welfare of a child. She was released on a notice to appear and expected to be in court Tuesday.

Teacher duct tapes 5th graders mouths shut to keep them quiet

Published: Sunday, October 22, 2017 @ 11:08 AM

An elementary school student raises a hand in class. A substitute teacher in Texas was banned from a school in Killeen after she allegedly duct-taped students’ mouths shut.
Ulrich Baumgarten/U. Baumgarten via Getty Images
An elementary school student raises a hand in class. A substitute teacher in Texas was banned from a school in Killeen after she allegedly duct-taped students’ mouths shut.(Ulrich Baumgarten/U. Baumgarten via Getty Images)

A substitute teacher at an elementary school in Killeen, Texas, has lost her job after allegedly duct-taping fifth-graders mouths shut to keep them quiet, according to news outlets.

>> Read more trending news

The incident, which lasted for several minutes, involved 10 students at Maxdale Elementary SchoolABC News reported. Three additional students also placed duct tape over their own mouths after their classmates mouth were duct-taped.

“She had an idea where some kids would line up in a line and she would duct tape their mouths,” fifth-grader Andy Hernandez told KRON.

The students were checked out by a school nurse and school officials later called child protective services.

The students were not injured by the tape, but the Killeen Independent School District launched an investigation and later banned the teacher from campus.

“The substitute teacher was immediately removed from the classroom and barred from the campus as a result of this outrageous and unconscionable behavior,” the district said in a statement, KRON reported.

“The school leadership notified child protective services of the event, and we will work closely in support of any additional investigation by law enforcement as needed,” district officials said.

>> Related: Teacher strapped special needs child to chair with masking tape

The school’s principal called the parents of the children involved to inform them of the incident, KRON reported.

Family finds crawling worms in Cosco chicken at dinner table

Published: Sunday, October 22, 2017 @ 12:18 PM

A worm crawling on a boy’s finger. A family in Canada found worms in their cooked chicken breast dinner from Cosco. The retailer apologized and refunded their money.
Steven Gottlieb/Corbis via Getty Images
A worm crawling on a boy’s finger. A family in Canada found worms in their cooked chicken breast dinner from Cosco. The retailer apologized and refunded their money.(Steven Gottlieb/Corbis via Getty Images)

A Canadian family made a nauseating discovery while eating a chicken dinner last Thursday.

>> Read more trending news

The Mo family of Point Cook, Victoria were stunned to discover worms crawling in their cooked chicken.

Leon Mo said he bought the $6 chicken breast from Costco while shopping with his wife.

Mo told the Herald Sun that his daughter refused to eat the food because she told him “there’s worms.”

He says that when he looked in the package, there were two more worms.

After the skin-crawling discovery, he took the chicken back to the store where they gave him a full refund and filed a report. They also called him the next day to check and see how he was feeling.

Mo noted that the chicken wasn’t yet expired, and says that though he trusts big brand stores, “People need to seriously check the quality.”

>> Related: At a San Antonio Popeyes, this woman got a side of screwworms with her spicy chicken

He and his wife, who was then nine months pregnant, both ate some of the meat, but he says they weren’t sick from the food.