severe weather


Man accused of planting bombs to break up newlyweds

Published: Friday, September 20, 2013 @ 1:46 PM
Updated: Friday, September 20, 2013 @ 1:46 PM

If you’re looking to win back an ex, you might not want to follow this guy’s lead.

54-year-old Omar Duran was reportedly so desperate to win back a former flame that he decided to plant homemade explosives around a New York City neighborhood to frame her new husband and get him deported. (Via WCBS)

New York City police say Duran placed three bomb packages in three different places at three different times starting on September 2. (Via WABC)

Investigators say each package contained a note with the name Juan Cruz and his address. They soon discovered Cruz was Duran’s ex-girlfriend’s new husband. (Via WLNY)

During their investigations, officials found out that Duran reportedly became obsessed and overly protective of his 34-year-old ex-girlfriend, whose name has not been released.

Duran was arrested Wednesday night and charged with placing a false bomb, criminal possession of a weapon, and reckless endangerment. He pleaded not guilty at his arraignment Thursday. (Via NY1)

Luckily, none of the bombs went off because they were “crudely made” and had no detonator.

But it was still enough to scare Duran’s neighbors.

“We heard about the packages and stuff, I heard about it a few days ago, and you just never think it’s your next door neighbor.” (Via ABC)

Duran’s bail was set at $500,000 bond or $350,000 cash. He’s due back in court on September 24 and faces a maximum of 25 years in prison.

- See more at Newsy.com

Ellen DeGeneres gifts scholarships to an entire senior class

Published: Saturday, February 25, 2017 @ 3:23 AM
Updated: Saturday, February 25, 2017 @ 3:23 AM


            Ellen DeGeneres gifts scholarships to an entire senior class

The senior class at the Summit Academy in Brooklyn, New York, received an unforgettable gift from television host Ellen DeGeneres and Walmart.  All 41 members of the graduating class at the charter school received full four-year college scholarships to any state university in New York.

>> Read more trending news

The gift, donated by Walmart, is worth $1.6 million, DeGeneres told USA Today. Walmart already had given $25,000 to the school when school leaders Natasha Campbell and Cheryl Swift first appeared on the show a few weeks ago.

Last year, 93 percent of the school’s first graduating class continued on to college, Campbell and Swift said. The school is located in the Red Hook neighborhood of Brooklyn, where only 4 percent of adults have attended college and more than 28 percent of children under 16 live in poverty, USA Today reported.

 “I really think I could do something with my life,” a Summit senior who will be the first in her family to attend college told DeGeneres on the show. “I’m not going to be a disappointment. I’m going to be somebody.”

The students reiterated the educators’ mission: for 100 percent of this year’s graduating class to attend college. That dream was realized when DeGeneres announced the scholarship gifts.

This is one of the most incredible moments I’ve ever been a part of. An entire class getting a 4-year college scholarship. Thanks, Walmart.

Posted by Ellen DeGeneres on Thursday, February 23, 2017

Muhammad Ali’s son detained at Florida airport

Published: Saturday, February 25, 2017 @ 1:01 AM
Updated: Saturday, February 25, 2017 @ 1:01 AM


            Muhammad Ali’s son detained at Florida airport

Muhammad Ali Jr., the son of the legendary boxer and a resident of Deerfield Beach, Florida, was detained for hours at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport earlier this month after returning from Jamaica, the Louisville Courier-Journal reported.

>> Read more trending news

 Ali Jr., 44, and his mother, Khalilah Camacho-Ali, were singled out and pulled aside by customs officials on Feb. 7 due to their Arabic-sounding names, a family friend told the Courier-Journal. According to lawyer Chris Mancini, officials grilled Ali Jr. for nearly two hours with questions such as "Where did you get your name from?" and "Are you Muslim?"

Camacho-Ali, the second wife of Muhammad Ali, was let go after she showed a photo of herself with the former heavyweight champion, the Courier-Journal reported. Ali Jr., who was born in Philadelphia in 1972 and holds a U.S. passport, told the customs officials that he is a Muslim, spurring further questions.

Ali Jr. and his mother, known as Belinda Boyd when she married Ali Sr. in 1967 and then changed her name when she converted to Islam, were returning from a Black History Month event in Montego Bay, Jamaica. In response to an email from the Courier-Journal, a U.S. Customs and Border Protection spokesman wrote: "Due to the restrictions of the Privacy Act, U.S. Customs and Border Protection cannot discuss individual travelers; however, all international travelers arriving in the U.S. are subject to CBP inspection." 

Mancini said that neither Camacho-Ali nor Ali Jr., who have both traveled the world extensively, has faced detainment before. He blamed the incident on President Donald Trump's Jan. 27 executive order that banned citizens of seven predominantly Muslim countries. A federal judge in Washington State blocked the government from carrying out the order earlier this month.

Witches cast mass binding spell against Trump

Published: Saturday, February 25, 2017 @ 1:52 AM
Updated: Saturday, February 25, 2017 @ 1:52 AM


            Witches cast mass binding spell against Trump

Before taking office as president, Donald Trump called the controversy over Russian hacking during the 2016 election “a witch hunt.”

>> Read more trending news

For some people who are disgruntled with Trump after one month in office, the witching hour has arrived.

A document making its rounds among the witch community is asking people who practice the craft to perform a monthly binding ritual until the president is removed from office, the Huffington Post reported.

In order to work, the mass spell must be performed at midnight EST on every waning crescent moon. 

The first waning crescent happened Friday and will be followed by similar spell cast events on March 26, April 24 and May 23 and beyond, the Huffington Post reported.

Michael M. Hughes, who writes about the paranormal, posted the spell at ExtraNewsFeed last week. He explained that a binding spell is different than a curse or hex.

“It’s a restraint, not harm,” Hughes told The Huffington Post. “I see it as self-defense.”

The spell instructions have gone viral, and there is a group on Facebook dedicated to answering all the questions people may have.

To perform the spell, the following must be accumulated, the Huffington Post reported: an unflattering photo of Trump; a Tower tarot card; a tiny stub of an orange candle or orange carrot; a pin or a small nail to inscribe the candle; a white candle to represent the element of fire; a small bowl of water;  a small bowl of salt, to represent elemental Earth; any kind of feather, representing the element of air; matches or a lighter; and an ashtray or a dish of sand.

Practitioners are supposed to prepare for the spell by writing “Donald J. Trump” on the orange candle stub with a pin or nail. They then arrange the other items in a circle and lean the Tower card against something so that it’s standing up.

Hughes suggests reading the 23rd Psalm aloud before beginning the spell by lighting a white candle.

Next, practitioners are supposed to burn the photo with the orange candle, chanting “So mote it be.” But Hughes said a simple “You’re fired!” also will work. The spell is completed by burying the candle stub or carrot, or discarding it in running water.

When the ceremony is over, Hughes said it’s crucial to ground yourself by laughing loud and hearty, since “Trump hates people laughing at him.” 

We are live outside Trump Tower as witches prepare to cast a magic spell on President Trump

Posted by Daily Mail on Friday, February 24, 2017

Scammer uses credit cards to go on $100,000 shopping spree

Published: Saturday, February 25, 2017 @ 1:06 AM
Updated: Saturday, February 25, 2017 @ 1:06 AM


            Scammer uses credit cards to go on $100,000 shopping spree

A Georgia woman is warning others after she said a scammer used her credit cards to go on a $100,000 shopping spree.

 >> Read more trending news

Laura Godfrey said she got a call earlier this month from someone she thought was with the FBI.

She said the man claimed one of her credit cards had been compromised.

"He asked if I had this card, that card and this card and, of course, I'm thinking he's the law so I tell him what I've got," Godfrey said.

She gave the caller the numbers to five of her credit cards.

"I'm disgusted with myself because I didn't pick up on it," Godfrey said.

Within hours, the scammer went on a shopping spree, spending $6,000 at Home Depot, $1,400 at Lowes, $400 at Walgreens and $200 on an Edible Arrangement, among other charges.

The number the scammer has been disconnected.

Godfrey said most of the stores recognized the fraudulent charges and halted the transactions.

"It won't happen again, I assure you, because I'm not answering that phone unless it's somebody I know," Godfrey said.