Lawsuit: 2-year-old drank beverage contaminated by Starbucks barista’s blood

Published: Thursday, February 08, 2018 @ 2:27 PM

VIDEO: Toddler Drank Starbucks Beverage Allegedly Contaminated By Barista's Blood

A California family has filed a lawsuit against Starbucks after they claim their toddler daughter drank a beverage that had been contaminated by a barista’s blood.

Amanda and Louis Vice, of Redlands, filed suit regarding a Feb. 6, 2016, visit to a Starbucks coffee shop in San Bernardino, according to a news release from the Frish Law Group in Los Angeles. The couple, their then-2-year-old daughter and Louis Vice’s mother visited the location and ordered drinks that they took home with them.

After drinking the beverages, they noticed a red smear on one of the signature Starbucks cups, as well as a strong metallic odor, the news release said. There was also a red stain on another of the cups, from which two of them, including the little girl, had been drinking. 

Amanda Vice told KTLA in Los Angeles that she didn’t see anything at first.

“Once we drank it, then we could see on the inside of the rim that there was blood,” Vice told the news station, adding that her daughter had been licking the lid and eating whipped cream from the inside of the cup.

After determining that no one in the family was bleeding, the Vices called Starbucks, at which point they “confirmed that there was, in fact, an employee who was bleeding, but had since been removed from the sales floor,” the law firm’s news release stated.

“My wife and my baby just drank someone’s blood,” Louis Vice told KTLA. “It was bad.”

The Vices were offered free drinks for a week, but were “extremely concerned” that they, their daughter or Louis Vice’s mother could become sick if the employee had any diseases communicable by blood, such as HIV, the couple’s lawyer, Stan Pekler, said in the news release. The manager initially agreed, but never followed through with having the employee get a blood test to reassure the family of their safety.

“The family was then left to schedule their own blood tests, causing extreme distress for the parents, as they had to watch their daughter be poked with a needle and agonizingly wait for the results,” Pekler said

Though the initial results were all negative, the family had to be retested again six months later to ensure that no HIV antibodies popped up after the round of tests. 

“This caused the family stress, nervousness, fright, anguish, grief, anxiety, worry and shock for several months while awaiting the second round of test results,” Pekler’s statement read. 

>> Read more trending news

Pekler and the family began negotiating with Starbucks for a proper resolution to the situation, and the company offered each family member $1,000 for their trouble, the statement said. 

“This does not begin to compensate the family for suffered injuries and damages for which Starbucks is liable,” the news release stated. “Immediately upon learning they had consumed beverages that contained human blood, the family experienced suffering, as well as feelings of anguish, fright, horror, nervousness, grief, anxiety, worry, shock, humiliation, and shame. They endured additional distress because Starbucks seemed to not care about their well-being and refused to direct the employee to undergo a blood test to ensure the family's safety.”

“We felt sick to our stomachs,” Amanda Vice told KTLA. “We shouldn’t have to worry about going to get something to drink and there being blood in our drink where we could get sick.”

The lawsuit seeks damages on claims of failure to warn the family, negligence, breach of express and implied warranty, fraud, intentional infliction of emotional distress, battery, assault, negligent hiring and negligent training and supervision, Pekler said

A Starbucks representative told KTLA that the company is aware of the lawsuit and is prepared to present its own case in court. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Thief uses oxygen tank to blow up ATM, police say

Published: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 @ 3:47 PM

Cobb County authorities said a thief blew up an ATM and took an unspecified amount of money.
WSB-TV
Cobb County authorities said a thief blew up an ATM and took an unspecified amount of money.(WSB-TV)

Courtney Brimanson and her husband were sound asleep when they heard an explosion miles away from their Mableton home. 

>> Read more trending news 

“It just woke me up, out of a dead sleep,” she told WSB-TV, “and I was trying to figure out what had happened.” 

That explosion was a thief using an oxygen tank to blow up an ATM on Veterans Memorial Parkway, Cobb County police said. 

Cobb fire officials said a suspect is in custody, but the name has not been released, WSB reported.

Police do not know how much money was stolen from the machine, which hasn’t been replaced. 

Officials are still investigating what the thief used with the oxygen tank to make the ATM explode. 

>> Related: Police: Teen girl staged robbery, set up friend to be victim

“I was really thankful everybody was OK,” Brimanson said. “I was worried somebody got hurt.”

Trending - Most Read Stories

George, Amal Clooney donate $500,000 to Parkland shooting survivors

Published: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 @ 12:24 PM

Parkland Shooting Victims Receive $500,000 Donation From George, Amal Clooney

Nearly a week after the Valentine’s Day shooting at a Parkland, Florida, high school, George and Amal Clooney have announced they will participate in The March For Our Lives on March 24 and have donated $500,000 to the group.

>> Read more trending news 

The celebrity couple made the announcement in a statement from George Clooney. People reported the donation was made in the name of the couple’s 8-month-old twins Ella and Alexander.

“Amal and I are so inspired by the courage and eloquence of these young men and women from Stoneman Douglas High School,” Clooney said in a statement. “Our family will be there on March 24 to stand side by side with this incredible generation of young people from all over the country, and in the name of our children Ella and Alexander, we’re donating $500,000 to help pay for this groundbreaking event. Our children’s lives depend on it.”

Related: Gabrielle Union, Kim Kardashian, more celebs call for gun control after Florida school shooting

The March of Our Lives event was announced by Students David Hogg, Alex Wind, Cameron Kasky, Jacqueline Coren and Emma Gonzalez, five survivors of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting. On Feb. 14, 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz opened fire at the school, killing 17 people.

Related: Florida school shooting timeline: Seven minutes, three floors and 17 dead

Cruz has been charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder.

The March For Our Lives march will be in Washington, D.C. According to the group’s website, “the kids and families of March For Our Lives will take to the streets of Washington DC to demand that their lives and safety become a priority and that we end this epidemic of mass school shootings.”

Trending - Most Read Stories

Mueller investigation: Lawyer pleads guilty to lying to investigators in Russia probe

Published: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 @ 3:26 PM
Updated: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 @ 3:26 PM

Robert Mueller - Fast Facts

An attorney pleaded guilty Tuesday to lying to the FBI in the agency's investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election and its possible ties to President Donald Trump's campaign.

The charges against lawyer Alex Van Der Zwaan are the latest in special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation.

READ MORE: Who is Rick Gates and why was he indicted by Robert Mueller?Who is Paul Manafort, the man indicted in Robert Mueller’s Russian investigation?What are Paul Manafort and Rick Gates charged with?MORE

Special Counsel Robert Mueller Files First Charges

Trending - Most Read Stories

Bride stuck in elevator almost misses reception

Published: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 @ 3:24 PM

WATCH: Bride Stuck In Elevator On Wedding Day

You don’t want to be late for a wedding reception, especially if you’re the bride.

That’s what happened to a bride in Rhode Island, The Associated Press reported.

Melissa Rodger was on her way to the 18th floor at the Providence Biltmore hotel over the weekend.

>> Read more trending news 

The elevator stopped 4 feet short of the floor, the AP reported.

It took the aid of firefighters to get the bride on her way to her party.

The rescue took about 45 minutes to happen, but the reception was only delayed for about 20 minutes, the AP reported.

A repair person got the elevator working later.

Trending - Most Read Stories