Japanese reporter dies from ‘overwork’ after logging 159 hours of overtime

Published: Friday, October 06, 2017 @ 10:27 AM

Japanese Woman May Have Been Killed By Overwork

A labor standards office in Tokyo, Japan, released details this week about what led to the death of a 31-year-old reporter, revealing that the woman died from overwork.

Miwa Sado, who worked for public broadcasting company NHK, logged 159 hours of overtime and had only taken off two days in the month prior to her death from heart failure in July 2013. Labor inspectors determined that Sado’s death was caused by karoshi, a Japanese term that means ‘death from overwork.’

 >>RELATED: Here’s what happens to your body when you don’t get enough sleep 

Though the local labor standards office concluded in its case in May 2014, the details were not made public until Wednesday, Japan Times reported.

Sado reported on the Tokyo Metropolitan Government for NHK, and, between June and July of 2013, she covered the Assembly and House of Councilors election, the Times reported. She died on July 24, three days after the Upper House election. Sado had been with the broadcasting company since 2005.

>> Read more trending news 

In a statement, NHK executives revealed they kept track of her working hours through personal statements and time cards but acknowledged there were areas requiring improvement.

Masahiko Yamauchi, senior official at NHK’s news department, said the incident was not a personal matter but a “problem for our organization as a whole, including the labor system and how elections are covered.”

>>RELATED: Japanese company CEO resigns after overworked employee commits suicide

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s administration has sought to make improvements to working conditions in the country following the suicide of a new employee at advertising giant Dentsu Inc. in 2015, which some believe was due to excessive working hours.

Yamauchi said NHK waited four years to share the details of Sado’s death due to her family’s wishes. Her family said, in a written statement, they wanted to ensure such an incident never happens again.

“Even today, four years after, we cannot accept our daughter’s death as a reality,” Sado’s parents said in a comment released by NHK. “We hope that the sorrow of the bereaved family will never be wasted.”

Trending - Most Read Stories

Father of CDC employee missing 10 days says disappearance 'not normal'

Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 10:56 PM

Timothy Jerrell Cunningham
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Timothy Jerrell Cunningham(Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)

Timothy Jerrell Cunningham called out of work sick at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 10 days ago and hasn’t been heard from since, police say.

>> Read more trending news

His father, Terrell Cunningham, said something must be wrong. 

When the 35-year-old’s parents arrived in Atlanta from Maryland, they used a spare key to enter the house and found Timothy’s car, keys, wallet and phone, WSB-TV reported

"It's not the type of news you want to hear,” Terrell Cunningham said. “Your child is missing. Thirty-five years old, but always your child."

The father said his son is an accomplished man who graduated from Morehouse and earned a master’s degree and doctorate from Harvard University. As an epidemic intelligence officer, Timothy Cunningham has been deployed for public health emergencies, including superstorm Sandy, Ebola and Zika. 

It’s unusual for him not to contact family, his father said.

"This is not normal,” Terrell Cunningham said. “This is definitely out of the ordinary."

Family and friends hope the missing man will be found safe. 

Timothy Cunningham is 6 feet tall and weighs about 200 pounds. He has black hair and brown eyes.

Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to call 911.

Trending - Most Read Stories

$10K reward offered for information in case of missing CDC employee

Published: Sunday, February 25, 2018 @ 3:38 AM

Timothy Jerrell Cunningham
Timothy Jerrell Cunningham

The family of a missing Centers for Disease Control and Prevention worker has partnered with Crime Stoppers to offer a reward for information in the case.

>> Watch the news report here

Timothy Cunningham, 35, was reported missing Feb. 16 after he called in sick to work Feb. 12 and has not been seen or heard from since, according to Atlanta police.

>> Father of CDC employee missing 10 days says disappearance 'not normal'

Police said Cunningham's parents went to his home and found his wallet along with several other belongings.

Police said Saturday that they have not been able to locate Cunningham, and they are asking for the public's help.

"This is an appeal to the public. Anyone who has seen Tim, or may know anything about his whereabouts, we're seeking your help in bringing Tim back safe to us," Cunningham's father, Terrel Cunningham, said.

>> Read more trending news 

Cunningham's family and Crime Stoppers are offering a $10,000 reward for any information that leads to an arrest and indictment in the case. Police said that at this time they do not have any evidence of foul play, but it is their practice to explore any and every possibility in a case such as this one.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Florida school shooting survivor's mother says her family has received death threats

Published: Sunday, February 25, 2018 @ 1:03 AM

WATCH: Survivors Recount Florida High School Shooting

The mother of Florida school shooting survivor David Hogg is speaking out after her family received death threats because her son and another survivor were accused of being crisis actors.

>> Florida sheriff rejects calls from state lawmaker for his ouster after Parkland school shooting

Hogg and fellow students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, have made frequent media appearances to call for action on gun control after police say Nikolas Cruz killed 17 people and injured more than a dozen others in a Valentine’s Day massacre.

>> Delta latest company ending discounts, benefits for NRA members

The students have since become the center of a false conspiracy theory claiming that they are actually actors who are coached before television appearances.

>> Teachers to Trump: #ArmMeWith funding, supplies and resources, not guns

Rebecca Boldrick, Hogg’s mother, told The Washington Post that her family has received death threats since the conspiracy theories started surfacing, saying, “I’m under so much stress.”

“I’m angry and exhausted,” she added. “Angry, exhausted and extremely proud.”

>> Read more trending news 

The student has said he's not a “crisis actor” but rather someone who witnessed a tragedy.

“It’s annoying. I hate it. But it’s part of American democracy,” Hogg said in an interview with the Post. “Am I an actor? No. Am I a witness? Yes.”

Trending - Most Read Stories

House releases Democrats’ rebuttal to GOP memo on alleged government surveillance abuses

Published: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 4:23 PM

 House Intelligence Ranking Member Adam Schiff (D-CA) speaks at the Council On Foreign Relations .
Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images
 House Intelligence Ranking Member Adam Schiff (D-CA) speaks at the Council On Foreign Relations .(Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images)

The House Intelligence Committee Saturday released the Democrats’ rebuttal to the Republican memo alleging the FBI and Department of Justice engaged in questionable tactics in the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election and alleged Trump campaign collusion with Russia. 

>> Read more trending news 

Schiff Memo by National Content Desk on Scribd

>> Related: House Intelligence Committee votes to release Democrat’s rebuttal to Nunes memo

The 10-page memo, released two weeks after President Donald Trump blocked it and after wrangling between Democrats and DOJ officials, was authored by ranking Intelligence Committee Democrat Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) in response to one by House Intelligence Committee chairman Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA), and disputes allegations that illegal tactics were used to get warrants to surveil a former Trump campaign aide.

“The Democratic response memo released today should put to rest any concerns that the American people might have as to the conduct of the FBI, the Justice Department and the FISC. Our extensive review of the initial FISA application and three subsequent renewals failed to uncover any evidence of illegal, unethical, or unprofessional behavior by law enforcement and instead revealed that both the FBI and DOJ made extensive showings to justify all four requests,” Schiff said in a statement Saturday after the release of the memo.

Trump tweeted a response to Schiff’s document release Saturday, calling the Democrats’ memo “a total political and legal bust.” He also repeated his claims that special prosecutor Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election and possible collusion with the Trump campaign is a “witch hunt.”

The president released the Nunes memo last month, which contained information purporting to show that the FBI and DOJ did not provide complete information when requesting a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court warrant to watch one-time Trump campaign member and foreign policy advisor Carter Page.

>> Related: Trump sends Democrats’ Nunes rebuttal memo back to House committee

The release of both memos came over the objections of investigators in the intelligence communities.

What You Need To Know About Carter Page

Trending - Most Read Stories