Here's what Donald Trump thought about the Electoral College in 2012

Published: Thursday, November 10, 2016 @ 3:32 AM
Updated: Thursday, November 10, 2016 @ 4:33 AM

Although President-elect Donald Trump charged to a stunning Electoral College victory early Wednesday, Democrat Hillary Clinton is ahead in the popular vote.

>> Despite Trump victory, Clinton pulls ahead in popular vote

At 3 a.m. ET Thursday with 99 percent of precincts reporting, Trump’s vote total was listed as 59,611,678, while Clinton had 59,814,018 – a difference of more than 200,000 votes.

As Trump supporters and critics clashed about the Electoral College on social media, some pointed out the irony of a 2012 Twitter rant in which Trump slammed the process.

>> Read more trending stories

"The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy," Trump wrote after President Barack Obama defeated Republican Mitt Romney in the 2012 presidential election. Obama ended up winning the Electoral College and the popular vote.

Earlier that evening, Trump tweeted, "We can't let this happen. We should march on Washington and stop this travesty. Our nation is totally divided!"

He also called the election a "total sham."

"We are not a democracy!" Trump wrote.

>> Read Trump's posts here

A candidate winning the presidency without winning the popular vote is rare but not unheard of in U.S. elections.

Most recently, Democrat Al Gore lost the 2000 presidential race to Republican George W. Bush, despite receiving more than 500,000 more votes than his opponent.

Barbecue rattlesnake sounded good, but it landed man in hospital for 2 weeks 

Published: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 @ 1:32 PM

Dangerous Snakes

An Arizona man learned the hard way that it’s not a good idea to play with rattlesnakes after spending two weeks in the hospital for snake bite injuries.

>> Read more trending news

It seems Victor Pratt, 48, decided he wanted barbecue rattlesnake during a family birthday party, according to Inside Edition

“I know to cook them and cut the heads off and stuff,” Pratt said. “They taste like chicken. It’s not bad,” he told Inside Edition.

But, Pratt’s plan backfired after he told FOX10 that he was “playing with it like little kids do.” 

His hand slipped and the reptile attacked. It bit Pratt twice, once in the neck, which doctors said was dangerous because his throat could swell shut, according to FOX10

Pratt was just fine in the end, but he did need 26 vials of anti-venom to recover. 

He told Fox10 he will not be playing with rattlesnakes anymore. 

>> Related: Snake bites man on tongue as victim tries to kiss the reptile 

Read more here

Navy hospital apologizes for staff's 'inappropriate' photos of newborns

Published: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 @ 11:41 AM

Naval Hospital Issues Apology For Staff's "Inappropriate" Photos Of Newborns

A picture of staff members inappropriately handling a newborn at Florida’s Naval Hospital Jacksonville has gone viral, and the hospital said the staff members involved in the incident will face legal action.

>> Read more trending news

Naval Hospital Jacksonville officials said that they’re aware of a video that was posted to social media and appears to show a nurse inappropriately handling a newborn.

The hospital responded with a statement on Facebook that garnered thousands of shares. 

Naval Hospital Jacksonville's Commanding Officer sends: We are aware of a video / photo posted online. It's...

Posted by Naval Hospital Jacksonville on Monday, September 18, 2017

A photo of the incident appears to show staff inappropriately gesturing to a newborn and calling the infant “Satan.”

The photo is captioned, “How I currently feel about these mini Satans."

The hospital called the images outrageous, unacceptable and incredibly unprofessional. Naval Hospital Jacksonville released a statement that reads in part, “We have identified the staff members involved. They have been removed from patient care and they will be handled by the legal system and military justice.”

The hospital said it is still notifying involved parties.

 

Fox News contributor accuses network host of rape in latest sexual misconduct allegations

Published: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 @ 12:35 PM

Fox host, Charles Payne, left, the host of ‘Making Money,’ is accused of rape by former Fox contributor Scottie Nell Hughes. Hughes filed a lawsuit Monday against 21st Century Fox and Fox News Channel, also contending she was blacklisted after she reported the rape.
Getty Images
Fox host, Charles Payne, left, the host of ‘Making Money,’ is accused of rape by former Fox contributor Scottie Nell Hughes. Hughes filed a lawsuit Monday against 21st Century Fox and Fox News Channel, also contending she was blacklisted after she reported the rape.(Getty Images)

Fox News has been rocked by another sexual misconduct allegation. Conservative political commentator and a once-frequent face on the Fox News Channel, Scottie Nell Hughes, has sued the network, alleging she was raped by Fox News personality and host of “Making Money” Charles Payne.

>> Read more trending news

Hughes filed a lawsuit against the network Monday, also contending she was blacklisted after making the allegations several years ago, according to The New York Times

Fox suspended Payne in July while the network investigated Hughes’ initial claims. He later returned after Fox News completed its internal investigation.

Hughes told the Times what happened and why she filed suit.

“In July of 2013, I was raped by Charles Payne,” she said. “In July of 2017, I was raped again by Fox News. Since then, I have been living an absolute hell.”

(L-R) Actor Robert Davi, Scottie Nell Hughes and Clay Aiken speak during an appearance at Politicon 2017 on July 29, 2017 in Pasadena, California. (Michael Schwartz/Getty Images)

>> Related: Gretchen Carlson receiving $20 million to settle Ailes suit; Greta Van Susteren leaving Fox News

Hughes contends she participated in a coerced sexual relationship with Payne in exchange for an increase in paid television appearances. Later, she said, she was blacklisted from other jobs and was told it was because of an “affair” she had had “with someone at Fox.”

Hughes’ filed suit against 21st Century Fox, Fox News Channel and Charles Payne.

Payne denied the allegations again on Monday.

Fox issued a statement calling the lawsuit the “latest publicity stunt” by Hughes’ lawyer. The network also said the suit is “shameful” and has “absolutely no merit.” 

>> Related: Former Fox News host Gretchen Carlson sues Roger Ailes for sexual harassment

A number of former female Fox News employees have come forward over the past several years and accused network executives and anchors of sexual harassment. The network has settled out of court in several cases.

Photo shows blood flowing into street behind funeral home

Published: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 @ 2:02 PM

An embalming table at a funeral home is pictured.
Davidrase/Creative Commons
An embalming table at a funeral home is pictured.(Davidrase/Creative Commons)

A Baton Rouge resident made a disturbing discovery Thursday afternoon -- a rivulet of blood leaking into the street behind a funeral home.

WBRZ in Baton Rouge reported that photos taken behind Greenoaks Funeral Home showed blood leaking from a valve in the ground and flowing onto the street. In the approximately 20 minutes that the leak lasted, a large stretch of the roadway was coated.

Click here to see a photo of the leakWarning: The photo is graphic in nature and may not be suitable for everyone. 

Adam Smith, an employee with the city’s Department of Environmental Services, confirmed that the fluid was blood mixed with formaldehyde. The mixture was leaking from a storage tank behind the funeral home.

>> Read more trending news

“We sent out both our sewer inspector and our environmental specialists to take a look,” Smith told the news station. “We determined that it wasn’t a sewer issue and that it was an issue on private property.”

Smith said the funeral home is under new management and did not have a permit. The city was working to get the permit issue resolved.