breaking news


George H.W., George W. Bush condemn ‘racial bigotry’ in Charlottesville statement

Published: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 @ 12:34 PM

Former President George W. Bush (R) talks to his father President George H.W. Bush during the opening ceremony of the George W. Bush Presidential Center April 25, 2013 in Dallas, Texas. (Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)
Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images
Former President George W. Bush (R) talks to his father President George H.W. Bush during the opening ceremony of the George W. Bush Presidential Center April 25, 2013 in Dallas, Texas. (Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)(Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)

Two former presidents have joined the growing chorus of political voices directly condemning racial bigotry in the wake of a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville.

>> Read more trending news 

Former Presidents George H.W. and George W. Bush released a statement on Wednesday morning, addressing the past weekend’s violence. Their joint statement comes less than a day after a news conference by President Donald Trump exacerbated mounting outrage over his response to the incident, which critics said bolstered white supremacist groups.

"America must always reject racial bigotry, anti-Semitism, and hatred in all forms,” the presidents said in the statement. “As we pray for Charlottesville, we are reminded of the fundamental truths recorded by that city’s most prominent citizen in the Declaration of Independence: we are all created equal and endowed by our Creator with unalienable rights. We know these truths to be everlasting because we have seen the decency and greatness of our country.”

The statement was tweeted by Jim McGrath, spokesman for the elder Bush and his wife, Barbara.

On Tuesday, Trump doubled down on blaming “both sides” for the violence on Saturday, effectively equating the anti-racism protesters who showed up in Charlottesville with the neo-Nazis, Ku Klux Klan members and white nationalists who had gathered to rally in the city. 

MORE: Theories abound over meaning of Trump’s ‘many sides’ remark 

Saturday’s violence left an anti-racism protester, Heather Heyer, dead after James Alex Fields Jr., an Ohio man, ran his car into a crowd of protesters. Fields has been charged with second-degree murder.

5 children hurt after bounce house goes airborne at church carnival

Published: Monday, April 10, 2017 @ 2:02 AM

Bounce house
Oktay Ortakcioglu/Getty Images/iStockphoto
Bounce house(Oktay Ortakcioglu/Getty Images/iStockphoto)

Five children were hurt Saturday after high winds carried an inflatable “bounce house” into the air. Two children remained hospitalized Sunday, according to Springwell Church, the organization who rented two of the play structures for their annual Spring Carnival.

The church on Wade Hampton Boulevard in Taylors, South Carolina, issued a statement on Facebook on Saturday after the event, confirming that five children had been hospitalized after “an unexpected wind gust, out of our control, lifted an inflatable amusement that was on our campus for the event.” Video shot by an onlooker appears to show one of the structures flying into Wade Hampton Boulevard, a major transportation artery for the area.

>> Watch the news report here

FOX Carolina 21

The church updated its statement Sunday, writing: “Two children remain hospitalized, in stable condition, for the treatment of injuries sustained in yesterday’s accident. Our pastoral staff and church have been praying and continue to pray for all involved.”

One of the two structures that got loose drifted into power lines owned by Duke Energy, causing an outage for about 1,000 people. Crews immediately got to work to restore power, according to WHNS.

>> Read more trending news

At least one child had been hospitalized with a concussion and broken bones, according to a statement from a witness who told WHNS that she wished to remain anonymous. She wrote:

"Things happen Everyday that NO ONE can Explain. My Mom, My Husband and I watched this happen right in front of us. It was Terrifying. It Broke my heart knowing those kids could have died. With God watching over them the 5 kids that where Injured didn’t Die, 1 I know had broken bones and a concussion. The Whole event could have been worse."

Related

Police search for thieves carjacking UPS trucks, stealing packages

Published: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 @ 12:06 AM

(Photo by Brendan Smialowski/Getty Images)
Brendan Smialowski/Getty Images
(Photo by Brendan Smialowski/Getty Images)(Brendan Smialowski/Getty Images)

Police are searching for at least two people they say are robbing delivery trucks and getting away with packages in Atlanta.

>> Read more trending news

Police said the thieves watch for UPS trucks to leave distribution centers, then carjack them and steal the packages.

“It’s like they took the script right off of a movie and that’s why it’s important that we get these guys off the street,” Atlanta police Detective Benjamin King said.

A surveillance photo shows a possible suspect who police say may have been part of a carjacking and armed robbery of a UPS driver earlier this month.

The driver had just pulled off from a distribution center on Fulton Industrial Boulevard on Oct. 30 around 10 a.m.

As the UPS driver pulled up to the intersection of Fulton Industrial and Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway, someone opened his passenger door.

“He said he saw his passenger door slide open and he saw a black male brandish a weapon, then jump inside of his UPS vehicle,” King said.

Police said the robber forced the driver to take him to an abandoned apartment complex near Hyacinth Avenue.

Investigators said there was an empty U-Haul truck there waiting.

“At that point in time they had the UPS driver lay to the ground where they pointed a weapon to the back of his head, then they started to unload the stuff from the UPS truck to the U-Haul truck,” King said.

As police were investigating that case, a group of people did the same thing in the same area to a different UPS driver Tuesday morning.

“It’s very similar and we are actually looking into it right now,” King said.

No drivers were injured in the robberies. 

If you recognize the man in the photo, call Crime Stoppers at 404-577-8477.

AR-15 raffled off by youth football league in North Carolina

Published: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 @ 10:54 PM

(WSOCTV.com)
(WSOCTV.com)

A raffle to give away an AR-15 was streamed live on Facebook with the Optimist pee wee football team from Stanley, North Carolina.

>> Read more trending news

The money was to help the team go on a trip and players were encouraged to thank those who bought a ticket to possibly win the AR-15.

"It just blew my mind, right," a father, Brandon Jenkins, said.

Willard Whitted is a gun owner, but he said this was a bad idea.

"Thought it was terrible that they would even think of doing something like that," Whitted said.

He said scores of people are killed when a gun of that type gets into the wrong hands.

"Find something else to raffle off," he said.

"I just donated the money," Mark Kee, who gave cash to help raise money.

He did not buy a ticket in the raffle.

"Where are the adults in charge of this?” Kee said. “Have they been watching the news? Do they know what's going on?"

The football coach, Ron Nolan, said a pawn shop owner donated the gun.

"Nothing is done illegally,” Nolan said. “It will change hands to a law-abiding citizen that passes a serious background check."

Damien Lockridge's son played on the team last year and believes raffling off the gun is the right thing to do.

He said the team uses the money from the raffle to help families pay for a trip to a playoff.

"They have to raise money somehow,” Lockridge said. “This is the only way to do it. I think it’s a great idea."

Reports: Uber paid hackers to keep the data breach quiet

Published: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 @ 6:20 PM

Inside Uber

Uber reportedly paid hackers $100,000 to remove the data of 57 million customers they stole in a massive 2016 data breach, according to Bloomberg.

>> Read more trending news

Names, phone numbers and email address were among the data stolen. Around 600,000 driver’s license numbers belonging to Uber drivers were also compromised in the October 2016 breach.

Social security numbers appear not to have been stolen in the breach.

Uber executives reportedly concealed the hack for over a year and have been terminated, according to BuzzFeed.

Uber’s current CEO, Dara Khosrowshahi, criticized the company’s handling of the data theft in a blog post that said there’s no evidence the stolen information has been misused.

The company released a statement Tuesday on the 2016 attack.

The San Francisco company ousted Travis Kalanick as CEO in June after an internal investigation concluded he had built a culture that allowed female workers to be sexually harassed and encouraged employees to push legal limits.

Read more at Bloomberg.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.