CLOSINGS AND DELAYS:

Alter High School, Kettering City Schools, Moraine Seniors Citizens Club, Residence in Praise Fine Arts Center, Southeastern Local Schools, St. Albert the Great School, St. Charles Elementary,

breaking news


Garbage man shocked at what happened when he returned a lost present

Published: Monday, December 29, 2015 @ 2:07 PM
Updated: Monday, December 29, 2015 @ 2:07 PM

Trending on Facebook

More popular and trending stories

While Jimmy James was making his usual rounds as a garbage man in suburban Colorado, he saw an unused gift card land in a heap of used gift wrap on Christmas morning. After noticing that the card looked unused, James handed it off to his coworker to check the balance, and see if there was any money left.

“I had to stay on the back throwing trash and we kept working. I had him call it and check it and he told me what was on it,” said Jimmy.

“There was $50, so I had him put it in my wallet for me and then when we got off work that day I went by Jason’s house.”

When he returned to the home of Jason Edwards later that day with the gift card, the Edwards family was in disbelief, thinking they had lost their gift card, and shocked that James would come out on his own time to help them.

“It was kind of a shocker to me for sure. I called my wife and told her, you’re never going to believe this guy, he just returned this card. It’s not a lot of money it’s just basically a simple principal that someone would take their time out to do something like that. It’s pretty cool,” Jason said.

While Jimmy was being interviewed for a story on his good deed, the Edwards family decided to return the favor, in the form of an envelope with $75 cash.

“They don’t know how much that helps. I don’t even know what to say. Christmas time, you know, you’re lucky to get a $10 tip, let alone, wow man, I’m touched,” James said.

Navy filing homicide charges against 2 ship commanders

Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 7:16 PM
Updated: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 6:39 PM

Funeral services were Saturday in West Jefferson for Navy sailor Jacob Drake who was one of 10 sailors who died at sea last month in a ship crash aboard the USS John McCain. Video produced by Barrie Barber.

The Navy says it is filing negligent homicide charges against the commanders of two ships involved in fatal collisions last year.

The USS John S. McCain collision resulted in the death of Champaign County sailor Jacob Drake. Drake was a Petty Officer 2nd class.

The charges are to be presented at what the military calls an Article 32 hearing, which will determine whether the accused are court-martialed.

The actions, including charges against several lower-ranking officers, were announced Tuesday by the Navy's chief spokesman, Capt. Greg Hicks.

Friends, family gather for funeral of Jacob Drake 

WATCH: Jacob Drake procession

Hicks says the decision to file charges was made by Adm. Frank Caldwell, head of the Navy's nuclear reactors program, who reviewed evidence of what caused the collisions. The USS Fitzgerald collided with a commercial ship in waters off Japan in June, killing seven sailors. Ten sailors were killed when the USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in Southeast Asia in August.

WATCH: Firefighter catches child thrown from burning building

Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 1:13 AM

WATCH: Firefighter Catches Child Thrown From Burning Building

Incredible video captured firefighters rescuing a child from a burning building in DeKalb County, Georgia.

>> Click here to watch

The helmet camera video, posted by DeKalb County Fire and Rescue, was taken at the Avondale Forest Apartments on Jan. 3.

The video shows a person on top of a ladder drop a child down to a firefighter as the flames roar around them.

The firefighter catches the child and quickly runs to safety. 

>> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news 

"Third-generation DCFR firefighter Capt. Scott Stroup can be seen catching one of the children that was dropped from the third-floor balcony. Great job by all hands operating on this fire as several lifesaving grabs were made that night," the department posted on Facebook.

An estimated 50 people were left without a place to live after the massive fire at the Decatur apartment complex.

Capt. Eric Jackson, with DeKalb County Fire and Rescue, told WSB-TV that four adults and eight children were hurt in the fire.

>> Read more trending news 

He said their injuries were minor and mostly related to smoke inhalation.

Firefighters kicked in doors and ushered out residents when they arrived on the scene, Jackson said. 

One of the victims told WSB-TV's Steve Gehlbach hearing the screams coming from the people trapped was the most frightening part of the fire for them.

“Jumping out of the building. Jumping out of their balconies. Someone said they threw their baby outside and fireman caught the baby,” they said.

Florida boy dies of rabies after bat scratch, school officials say

Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 1:41 AM

What You Need to Know About Rabies

A young boy died of rabies after being scratched by a bat, according to Christian Academy school officials in Eustis, Florida.

>> Watch the news report here

The school posted about the boy’s death on its website, saying that he attended the school in 2016.

The post said Ryker Roque “was a quiet boy adored by teachers and classmates.”

Henry Roque, Ryker's father, took a video of the two on a fishing trip and said they were as close as father and son could be. 

He shared pictures and videos of his son with WFTV to share with the world how much he loved his son.

As Ryker underwent an experimental procedure for the rabies infection, Henry held out hope, even as doctors told the family he had virtually no chance of surviving. 

>> Read more trending news 

"I've seen huge miracles before. And I went back on the bed and laid with him and held him and said, 'Ryker, miracles happen every day. I know you hear me,'" Henry said. 

Several weeks ago, Henry said he found a sick bat, which he did not know had rabies, and put it in a bucket, telling Ryker not to touch it.

But Ryker did touch it and was scratched by the bat – but seemed fine, school officials said.

A week later, the child lost use of his legs and “experienced confusion,” having hallucinations and convulsions.

Ryker was hospitalized and an experimental treatment was used, but he died Sunday.

>> On WFTV.com: Florida teacher donates kidney to student's mother

The school held a fundraiser to help the family with medical expenses.

"He was a very sweet boy. Everything he did was nice. The kids loved to play with him because he was the kindest kid," said Connor Jenkins, with the Christian Academy preschool. 

GoFundMe account was also set up for the family. 

Florida Rep. Frederica Wilson says she's skipping Trump's State of the Union address

Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 3:51 AM

President Donald Trump and U.S. Rep. Frederica Wilson (D-Fla.). (Photo credits: AP Photo/Evan Vucci, AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)
AP Photo/Evan Vucci, AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite
President Donald Trump and U.S. Rep. Frederica Wilson (D-Fla.). (Photo credits: AP Photo/Evan Vucci, AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)(AP Photo/Evan Vucci, AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

President Donald Trump and Rep. Frederica Wilson (D-Fla.), who were locked in a well-documented feud months ago over the latter’s account of a phone call between the president and the widow of Army Sgt. La David Johnsonmay have a new reason to renew their spat.

>> On Rare.us: Frederica Wilson renews fight with John Kelly and President Trump

Wilson has announced two weeks ahead of Trump’s first State of the Union address that she will be following in the footsteps of Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calf.) and others by ditching the occasion.

The Florida Democrat said “recent racist and incendiary remarks about Haiti and African nations” were the reason why she won’t be on hand for the speech.

“For the first time since I began serving in the U.S. House of Representatives, I will not be attending the president’s State of the Union address. I have no doubt that instead of delivering a message of inclusivity and an agenda that benefits all Americans, President Trump’s address will be full of innuendo, empty promises and lies,” she said in a statement, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

>> Read more trending news 

“During his disappointing and destructive first year in office, Mr. Trump has demeaned the presidency at every opportunity and cast doubt on our nation’s standing as a global leader. The United States’ reputation is smoldering in the ashes of his recent racist and incendiary remarks about Haiti and African nations,” she continued. “Many of his proposed domestic policies are harmful to people of color, low-income communities and the middle class. It would be an embarrassment to be seen with him at a forum that under any other president would be an honor to attend.”

As mentioned, Waters also announced that she will not be attending the SOTU.

Waters, who also called Trump a “racist,” went on MSNBC’s “All in with Chris Hayes” to say Trump “does not deserve her attention.”

“Oh no, I didn’t go to the inauguration. I didn’t go to the joint session that was held after that; I don’t intend to go to this one. Why would I take my time to go and listen to a liar, to someone who lies in the face of facts?” she said.

“What does he have to say that I would be interested in?” she added.

>> On Rare.us: Sgt. La David Johnson’s mom claims Trump 'did disrespect' her son

Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.) said he “wouldn’t be honest with [himself]” if he attends the SOTU, so he has also decided to boycott it.

Related