Florida police say baby found dead in hot pickup truck

Published: Monday, June 16, 2014 @ 6:08 PM
Updated: Monday, June 16, 2014 @ 6:08 PM

Trending on Facebook

More popular and trending stories

Police in Florida said a father opened his truck after being at work for several hours to discover his 9-month-old daughter inside the truck and unresponsive.
 
"We received a call around (4:45 p.m.) of a child that was unresponsive and had been found in the back of a vehicle," said Lt. Donna Seyferth with the Rockledge Police Department.
 
Police said the infant was left strapped in her car seat inside her father's pickup truck that was sitting in the hot sun.

>> Read more trending stories  
 
Police said the girl's father arrived at work at the Fraternal Order of Police telemarketing office just after noon.
 
WFTV  meteorologists said the temperature in that area of Florida at that time would have been around 89 degrees.
 
Witnesses told reporters that the child's father was supposed to drop his daughter off at daycare but apparently forgot.
 
Police said he discovered his daughter nearly five hours later. The man's coworkers heard him screaming and called 911.
 
"The child was unresponsive when the officers arrived. They took as many life-saving measures as they could. Ambulance and rescue did the same, but the child did not survive," said Seyferth. 
 
Police say there are no obvious signs of foul play.
 
Police are still talking with the family and said it is too early to say whether criminal charges will be filed.

"I am ready to cry for these parents. It's hard," said Darlene Decker, who was one of several people who stopped by Monday night to drop off flowers and balloons at the site where the young girl died.


Gender-neutral birth certificate approved in California

Published: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 @ 10:31 AM

DURHAM, NC - MAY 11:  A gender neutral sign is posted outside a bathrooms at Oval Park Grill on May 11, 2016 in Durham, North Carolina. (Photo by Sara D. Davis/Getty Images)
Sara D. Davis/Getty Images
DURHAM, NC - MAY 11: A gender neutral sign is posted outside a bathrooms at Oval Park Grill on May 11, 2016 in Durham, North Carolina. (Photo by Sara D. Davis/Getty Images)(Sara D. Davis/Getty Images)

California has become the first state to allow another gender designation on birth certificates: non-binary.

Governor Jerry Brown’s signed the bill that will take effect next year, The Sacramento Bee reported.

SB 179 also allows adults to use a gender marker other than “F” or “M” on their driver’s license. California is now only the second state to allow gender-neutral licenses. Oregon is the only other state to allow it, while Washington, D.C. has permitted non-gender specific licenses, WRC reported.

>> Read more trending news

Non-binary will be listed on drivers licenses starting in 2019, The Los Angeles Times reported.

Non-binary is an “umbrella term for people with gender identities that fall somewhere outside of the traditional conceptions of strictly either female or male,” and includes people who are transgender or born with intersex traits, The Bee reported.

Five people in the country have decided so far to use the designation non-binary as their legal gender. But according to the 2015 U.S. Transgender Survey, 31 percent of the more than 27,000 people who took part identified themselves as non-binary.

The new law will make it easier for changes to official documents. Currently, anyone who wants to change their gender on their identification has to have a medical certification, but now that rule will be abolished, The Times reported.

Father of murdered toddlers says mother shared live video of crime scene

Published: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 @ 12:00 PM

Georgia Mother Kills Two Youngest Sons By Placing Them In The Oven

Jameel Penn says he learned his boys were in trouble when their mother called him via video chat.

Lamora Williams panned around the room, and Penn saw his sons on the floor.

>> Read more trending news

“After I seen what I seen, you know I called the police,” Penn said in an interview Sunday.

But Lamora Williams’ first call wasn’t to Penn.

Longtime friend Neesa Smith told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that Williams called her first Friday night.

“I asked her what was wrong and she said, ‘I can’t do it no more,’” Smith said.

The friend said that Williams told her the boys were dead. “I said, ‘Call the police Mora. Just call the police,’” Smith said.

Williams was arrested Saturday and charged with murder after her two young children, ages 1 and 2, were found dead inside their southwest Atlanta home.

The two boys had “received burn marks on their bodies at some point,” according to Atlanta police. Investigators hauled an oven away from William’s Oakland City West End apartment.

Williams, 24, told police she left the children with a caregiver at noon Friday and returned home late in the evening, finding the children dead and the caregiver gone. But police say they do not believe Williams left her children with a caregiver. She has been booked into the Fulton County jail.

“I ain’t got no soul no more,” Penn said during a vigil Saturday, as he held onto his 3-year-old, Jameel.

“Ja’karter, Keyante, my world, my everything. I’m lost,” he said.

Friends and family members described Williams as a good-hearted, but overwhelmed woman who meant well.

The 24-year-old single mother of four had help from Penn and her 6-year-old daughter’s father’s side of the family, but it wasn’t enoughthey said.

Williams quit a job about a month ago because she couldn’t find a sitter for the kids, according to Smith. “Nobody could tell what she was going through,” she said.

>> Related: Warrant alleges mothers put two toddlers in oven, turned it on

Tabitha Hollingsworth said her sister had struggled with mental health issues her whole life.

Read more here.

Lamora Williams, 24, is charged with two counts of murder and is accused of placing two of her children into an oven and turning it on, according to an arrest warrant.(Fulton County Sheriff’s Office)

Anthony Scaramucci’s media company asks Twitter to vote on number of Jews killed in the Holocaust

Published: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 @ 12:59 PM

In this July 21, 2017 photo, White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci speaks to members of the media in the Brady Press Briefing room of the White House in Washington. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)
AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais
In this July 21, 2017 photo, White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci speaks to members of the media in the Brady Press Briefing room of the White House in Washington. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)(AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)

Anthony Scaramucci’s media organization has drawn fire from social media outlets after it tweeted a poll asking “How many Jews were killed in the Holocaust?”

The organization, The Scaramucci Post, backed by the former White House communications director, removed the tweet as the backlash grew Tuesday morning.

While it is generally accepted that 6 million Jews were systematically killed in concentration camps during World War II, the poll asked readers to say how many Jews they believed were killed – less than 1 million, between 1-2 million, between 2-3 million, or, more than 5 million.

The majority of those responding before poll was pulled from Twitter (about 90 minutes after it was posted) chose “more than 5 million.” In second place was “less than 1 million.”

The Scaramucci Post is run by Lance Laifer, a hedge fund manager, according to the profile of the page on Twitter. 

Laifer apologized for the tweet saying it was posted “… to highlight ignorance of the basic facts of the Holocaust.”

Laifer also said he was responsible for the poll and that Scaramucci had nothing to do with it.

Man emerges from woods after 10 years, accuses wife of forcing him out of the house

Published: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 @ 3:05 PM

A sky view of the tree tops in a forest in England. 
Barcroft Media/Barcroft Media via Getty Images
A sky view of the tree tops in a forest in England. (Barcroft Media/Barcroft Media via Getty Images)

A gardener from Birmingham, England says he had no choice, but to flee from his wife of three years, who he blames for forcing him to live in the woods for a decade.

That’s according to Emmaus Greenwich, a homeless shelter in London, where Malcolm Applegate finally resurfaced.

The 62-year-old man says “the more work I took on, the angrier my wife got – she didn’t like me being out of the house for long periods of time.”

While he claims he tried to make the relationship work, he said it just wasn’t meant to be.

“Without a word to anyone, not even family, I packed up and left,” he said. “I went missing for ten years.”

Applegate continued gardening for a community center while living in the woods.

Since resurfacing, he has contacted his sister, who he said “assumed [he] was dead.”

Applegate said they had an emotional reunion.

>> Related: Prankster put his wife’s precious iPhone in Jello, and she made him deeply regret his choices

“It had been a decade since I’d last seen her, and in that time she had been to all of the Salvation Army hostels in the South trying to find me … I wrote her a letter once I was settled in Greenwich and she phoned me up, in floods of tears. We now have a great relationship again.”