log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 @ 11:46 PM
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Dana Tahhan waited two years for the moment when she would be reunited with her husband and 8-year-old daughter.
"We cry. We cry a lot. We cry a lot because there's no words can describe this thing,” Tahhan said.
Pictures at Charlotte-Douglas International Airport on Saturday captured the sheer joy. The war and violence in their homeland of Syria kept them apart all this time.
"I can't believe it, still I can't believe that they are here." Tahhan said.
Dana said for months her 8-year-old daughter, Nadin, kept asking when she would see her mother again.
Just days after their reunion, they're settling back in as a family, going to SouthPark Mall and visiting Freedom Park.
"I just, like, give her kisses and hugs every five minutes. The same thing for Faysal. He can't believe he holding his son again,” Tahhan said.
Ben Snyder, an immigration attorney, has been working with Tahhan to bring her family to the U.S.
"They've literally survived a war zone. This family is from Aleppo, Syria," Snyder said.
Tahhan was pregnant when she came to Charlotte from Syria and was granted asylum.
It took a mountain of paperwork and two years to get refugee visas for Nadin and Faysal. They were finally able to apply in December.
But President Donald Trump's travel ban went into effect in January, banning refugees from seven predominately Muslim countries -- Nadin and Faysal included.
"They fall in the category of people who are banned indefinitely," Snyder said.
But the ban was challenged in federal court by groups such as the American Civil Liberties Union. It resulted in exceptions to the ban, including one for refugees with family ties in the U.S.
Tahhan described how she and her husband would talk while separated and said, "We going to see each other here in the United States and when we look at each other and say, 'We did it.'"
Published: Friday, March 23, 2018 @ 12:21 PM
BOYNTON BEACH, Fla. — When you’re going to impersonate a law enforcement officer, the last person you want to tell that you’re a cop, is a cop.
But that’s what police in Boynton Beach said happened at a Florida Best Buy.
According to the police report, officers were called to the store when a man that employees suspected of stealing an iPhone X a few days earlier entered the business.
The employee called to have John O’Grady, 61, removed from the store for trespassing.
When officers approached the Boynton Beach man, he said he was a U.S. marshal. The pin on his gray suit, the badge and the gun seemed to confirm that.
But O’Grady didn’t have identification nor could he name his supervisor.
He eventually conceded that no, he was not a U.S. marshal, and the “firearm” on his hip was a BB gun.
Police can be heard on the body camera video telling O’Grady, “Congratulations, that’s a felony,” once they found a badge on his belt saying that he was a U.S. marshal.
Authorities arrested O’Grady on charges of impersonating a law enforcement officer and retail theft. They reportedly found the stolen iPhone in O’Grady’s vehicle.
O’Grady was released later that afternoon from the Palm Beach County Jail on a $6,000 surety bond, records show.
Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.
Published: Friday, March 23, 2018 @ 11:30 AM
— One of two victims of a school shooting in Maryland has died.
Jaelynn Rose Willey, 16, was taken off of life support Thursday. She died a few hours later at 11:34 p.m. Thursday night, WRC reported.
Willey was injured earlier this week when a student with whom she had a previous relationship shot her in the head in the hallway of Great Mills High School, WRC reported.
Officials with the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office announced Willey’s death Friday morning, WBAL reported.
She was one of nine children in the Willey family. Family members said she helped take care of the other children every day, WRC reported.
The gunman died after he and a school resource officer exchanged gunfire; however, officials have not released if it was the officer’s shot that killed the teen gunman, or if he killed himself, WBAL reported.
Published: Friday, March 23, 2018 @ 8:44 AM
— On Thursday, President Donald Trump named John Bolton as his new national security adviser.
Bolton, former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, was tapped to replace H.R. McMaster.
Bolton, 69, has a long history of work in Washington D.C., including leadership roles at the State and Justice departments and the U.S. Agency for International Development.
McMaster replaced Retired Army Gen. Michael Flynn after Flynn was fired 24 days into the Trump administration. Last, fall Flynn pleaded guilty to lying to investigators in special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe into possible collusion between Trump’s campaign and Russian officials during the 2016 presidential campaign.
Bolton will take over the job on April 9.
Here are a few things to know about Bolton:
Published: Friday, March 23, 2018 @ 11:42 AM
— Student journalists from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School have taken over The Guardian’s website ahead of the March for Our Lives.
The school’s Eagle Eye newspaper is covering event, in which students will march in Washington, D.C., to advocate for action against gun violence.
The newspaper reached out to politicians and celebrities, including George and Amal Clooney, who donated $500,000 to the march, for an interview.
“They turned us down on the interview, but we loved the letter George sent us back,” the Eagle Eye staff said.
In his letter to the students, Clooney said he and his wife, Amal Clooney, are “100 percent” behind the movement and will be at the March on Saturday. Clooney also emphasized that the march is for the students, and offered options for coverage.
“Amal and I are 100% behind you and will be marching in DC on the 24th, but we both feel very strongly that this is your march. Your moment,” Clooney wrote. “Young people are taking it to the adults and that has been your most effective tool. The fact that no adults will speak on the stage in DC is a powerful message to the world that if we can’t do something about gun violence then you will. The issue is going to be this, anyone you ask would feel proud to be interviewed by you but it’s so much more effective if it’s young people.
“You could talk to a dozen kids like the young kids from Chicago and LA that Emma met with. You could take over the Guardian and make it tell the stories of children by children. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity to point to this moment and say it belongs to you. You certainly should do what you want but that would be my hope for you.
“Amal and I stand behind you, in support of you, in gratitude to you.
“You make me proud of my country again.”