log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Friday, October 20, 2017 @ 12:46 PM
HOWELL TOWNSHIP, N.J. — The Levys grieved twice for Caesar.
The family’s beloved miniature pinscher suffered from chronic health conditions and was taken to the Briarwood Veterinary Hospital to be euthanized, according to The Star-Ledger.
However, five months later the family got an anonymous tip that the dog was still alive and living with the vet technician.
"You charge me to put him down and then sneak him out the back door? It's horrifying," Lonnie Levy told WPVI. “I'm dumbfounded. I don't even know how to say, I don't know how to feel.”
Police got involved and told the vet tech to return the dog. During the time he was with the tech, Caesar had no treatments for his Cushing's disease, a condition which continued to worsen, according to The Star-Ledger. Caesar lost 10 pounds and was so ill he had to be euthanized.
The veterinarian and the technician no longer work at the clinic. A veterinarian bought the practice last week and helped the Levys recover Caesar and spend some time with him before he was euthanized.
"It's hard enough when you have to decide a pet should pass, but you have to deal with that twice with the same pet? It's just unthinkable," Dr. Maureen Kibisz, who bought the clinic, told WPVI.
The Levys were refunded the $192 for the procedure that was not performed.
Police and the Monmouth County SPCA said the investigation is ongoing and could lead to theft and animal cruelty charges.
Published: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 @ 1:59 AM
PARKLAND, Fla. — The man allegedly behind the fatal Florida high school shooting apparently has a disturbing past that is coming to light. A school fight that was captured on camera a little more than a year ago is the latest development.
A September 2016 video shared by ABC News shows Cruz wearing a white shirt and khakis while fighting with other students. Cruz was reportedly handed a two-day suspension following the incident.
Another incident that reportedly contributed to Cruz’s expulsion was his alleged fight with his ex-girlfriend’s new boyfriend. Cruz was allegedly abusive toward her before they broke up.
Published: Monday, February 19, 2018 @ 11:46 PM
— Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student Anthony Borges is a hero, who put himself in the line of fire to protect his classmates when a gunman rampaged through their Parkland, Florida, school.
Borges’ father and a friend who survived the massacre told ABC News that the 15-year-old Borges put the lives of others before his own.
“None of us knew what to do. So, he took the initiative to just save his other classmates,” Carlos Rodriguez, Borges’ best friend, told ABC’s “Good Morning America.”
A soccer player at the school, Borges placed his body between the gunman and the students. Rodriguez said that he survived the shooting because of Borges’ brave actions.
When gunfire broke out at the school Wednesday, Rodriguez said that Borges and his classmates rushed to hide in a classroom. The gunman was firing randomly at students as he closed in on their position in the building.
Rodriguez said that Borges was the last of 20 students to enter the classroom to take cover and that, as he attempted to lock the door, he was shot. He held his ground, keeping his body between the gunman and the other students, all of whom survived without injury.
Borges took five bullets to the back and both legs but survived, his father, Royer Borges, told police.
He told “Good Morning America” that his son called him moments after the attack and described what had happened.
“He just called me and says, ‘Dad, somebody shot me in the back and my leg, too,'” said Royer Borges, unable to hold back his tears.
The father said others who were inside the building with the gunman shared stories of his son’s courageous actions that might have saved the lives of other students. Royer Borges expressed pride in his son, saying, “He’s my hero.”
Anthony Borges is in stable condition after undergoing hours of surgery, his father said.
Published: Monday, February 19, 2018 @ 11:24 PM
— President Donald Trump has apparently endorsed one-time adversary and former presidential candidate Mitt Romney as Romney runs for Senate in Utah to replace Sen. Orrin Hatch, who is retiring.
Hatch, the longest-serving Republican in Congress, announced his retirement in January. That left room for Romney to take the front-runner’s spot in the race for Senate; Romney announced his candidacy for Utah’s Senate seat on Friday February 16, choosing to delay his announcement for 24 hours “out of respect for the shooting victims and their families in Parkland, Florida.”
Romney’s announcement video promised to bring “Utah values” to Washington D.C., boasting that “on Utah’s capitol hill, people treat one another with respect.” Those close to Romney say as senator he is less interested in direct combat with President Donald Trump than he once was and more interested in promoting Utah — though the man grew up in Michigan and has deepest political ties to Massachusetts.
In a tweet of thanks to Trump, Romney swiftly pivoted to Utah voters.
Thank you Mr. President for the support. I hope that over the course of the campaign I also earn the support and endorsement of the people of Utah.— Mitt Romney (@MittRomney) February 20, 2018
The tweets — and support — makes odd bedfellows of Trump and Romney, who have a long record of openly criticizing each other.
President Donald Trump has blasted Romney for losing the 2012 election to then-President Barack Obama, saying he “had his chance to beat a failed president but he choked like a dog.” Trump has also called Romney “one of the dumbest and worst candidates in the history of Republican politics” and a “dope.”
Mitt Romney, who was one of the dumbest and worst candidates in the history of Republican politics, is now pushing me on tax returns. Dope!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 25, 2016
Published: Monday, February 19, 2018 @ 1:25 PM
— The family that took in suspected school shooter Nikolas Cruz after his adoptive mother died suddenly last year said that, although the 19-year-old was troubled, it was unaware of any red flags to hint beforehand that he planned to carry out last week’s deadly attack.
Cruz opened fire Wednesday on students and staff members at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in what police believe was a preplanned attack, authorities said last week. The shooting left 14 students and three teachers dead. More than a dozen other people were injured.
“We knew he had troubles and a couple of issues, but I’ve raised three boys, and I thought we could help,” James Snead told The New York Times on Sunday. “It’s a very selfish thing he did -- aside from the families he hurt, he hurt the family that tried to help him and give him a chance.”
James Snead and his wife, Kimberly Snead, told the Times that they took in Cruz after their son, who knew Cruz from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High, asked if he could move in with them. Cruz had been staying with a friend of his mother’s after she died Nov. 1 of pneumonia, according to the Times.
“We didn’t know he had such an evil past,” James Snead told the Times. “We just didn’t know.”
School records obtained by WPLG showed Cruz had a lengthy disciplinary record beginning in 2012, when he was in middle school. He faced disciplinary action five times while attending Marjory Stoneman Douglas High from January 2016 to February 2017, WPLG reported.
School administrators in January 2017 recommended a threat assessment be done for Cruz after an alleged assault, according to WPLG. Details on that incident were not immediately available, although James Snead told the Times that Cruz had to leave school because of fighting.
The Sneads said Cruz was struggling with depression stemming from his mother’s death but that he appeared to be doing better, according to the Times. The couple had planned to have him see a counselor this week.
They said in an appearance on “Good Morning America” that they saw Cruz at the police station Wednesday when he was brought in after his arrest.
“I went after him,” Kimberly Snead said. “I wanted to strangle him more than anything.”
She said she yelled, “Really, Nik? Really?” Cruz mumbled something in response.
“He said he was sorry,” Kimberly Snead told “Good Morning America.” “I was furious. Heartbroken. Devastated. I still can’t process it, what he’s done. This wasn’t the person we knew. Not at all.”
James Snead said the family has gone through “a roller coaster of emotions” since learning of Cruz’s alleged role in Wednesday’s massacre.
"It's still tough. We're still hurting. We're still grieving," he said on “Good Morning America.” "Everything everybody seems to know, we didn't know.”
FBI officials said they investigated a comment made last year on YouTube by a user who was going by the name “Nikolas Cruz.”
“The comment simply said, ‘I’m going to be a professional school shooter,’” Rob Lasky, the FBI special agent in charge of the agency’s Miami division, said Thursday. Authorities were unable to verify the identity of the poster.