log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Friday, January 20, 2017 @ 9:58 AM
Updated: Friday, January 20, 2017 @ 10:17 AM
WASHINGTON — Anti-Donald Trump protesters who aim to create "a major political crisis" at Trump's presidential inauguration kicked off their efforts Thursday night by filling a street outside a building where Trump supporters were attending a "DeploraBall."
Demonstrators chanted "No Trump / No KKK / No fascist U.S.A," and shouted "Shame," "Fascist" and "Nazi pigs" at Trump supporters entering the event at the National Press Club building on F Street NW, a few blocks from the White House.
"DeploraBall" takes its name from Democrat Hillary Clinton's remark during the 2016 campaign that half of Trump's supporters belong in a "basket of deplorables" -- a phrase that Trump backers quickly embraced as a badge of honor.
Demonstrators: "No Trump / No KKK / No fascist USA" pic.twitter.com/Y98DyKDSCM— George Bennett (@gbennettpost) January 20, 2017
Many of Thursday night's protesters wore masks to partially cover their faces.
Some protesters threw objects and occasionally lit small fires, burning a "Make America Great Again" hat at one point. Police used pepper spray later in the evening, according to an NBC News report.
Multiple protestors were removed by police.
Pre-printed signs touted a refusefascism.org website, which says Trump's "fascist regime must be stopped before it starts" and envisions creating "a major political crisis, to which all the factions in the power structure would have to react."
Published: Thursday, March 22, 2018 @ 9:16 AM
Continuing his campaign vow to get tough on countries which don’t play fair on trade, President Donald Trump on Thursday recommended slapping nearly $50 billion in new tariffs on products from China, as he accused the Chinese of stealing American technology.
“This has been long in the making,” the President told reporters at the White House, as he said his pledge to do something about unfair trade practices was just getting started.
“It’s probably one of the reasons I was elected, maybe one of the main reasons,” Mr. Trump said, as he has steadfastly resisted the calls of Republicans in Congress to stay away from tariffs on imported goods, which critics say are nothing more than a tax on American consumers.
“We’re doing things for this country which should have been done for many, many years,” the President added.
Trump Administration officials will now go over proposals for tariffs on all sorts of goods imported from China, much different than the targeted tariff plan that Mr. Trump approved earlier this month on imported steel and aluminum.
“It’s out of control,” the President said of the trade imbalance between the U.S. and China.
At the same event, Vice President Mike Pence said today’s move against China again signaled that the “era of economic surrender” is over when it comes to the United States.
“The United States of America is taking targeted and focused action to protect not only American jobs, but American technology,” Pence added.
The reaction in Congress was much more muted than a move to impose new tariffs on imported steel and aluminum coming into the country, when a number of Republicans denounced the idea of tariffs, arguing it could spark a trade war.
As the President’s decision was announced, Wall Street markets went down, with investors worried by a possible trade fight with the Chinese.
Published: Thursday, March 22, 2018 @ 1:15 PM
— The top lawyer representing President Donald Trump in special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 election resigned Thursday, according to multiple reports.
Attorney John Dowd’s resignation came days after he called for an end to Mueller’s investigation, claiming it was “manufactured” by former FBI Director James Comey and based on an infamous -- and mostly unverified -- dossier that was funded in part by the Democratic National Committee and Democrat Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign.
“I love the president and wish him well,” Dowd wrote Thursday in an email to The Washington Post.
The newspaper reported that Dowd’s departure was “a largely mutual decision” based on Trump’s recent belief that Dowd couldn’t handle Mueller’s investigation and the attorney’s frustration with the president’s recent additions to his legal team. Trump attorney Jay Sekulow earlier this week brought one of his friends, veteran Washington attorney Joseph diGenova, onto the team, according to The New York Times.
It was not immediately clear who would take over as lead of the president’s legal team.
“John Dowd is a friend and has been a valuable member of our legal team,” Sekulow said Thursday in a statement to the Times. “We will continue our ongoing representation of the president and our cooperation with the office of special counsel.”
CNN reported that Dowd’s exit could hint that Trump’s legal team plans to become more aggressive in defending the president.
Dowd, who took over Trump’s legal team last summer, has advised the president to cooperate in Mueller’s investigation and refrain from publicly attacking the special counsel, the Times reported. Still, Trump has targeted Mueller for criticism in recent days, repeating his claims that the probe is little more than a politically motivated “witch hunt.”
The Mueller probe should never have been started in that there was no collusion and there was no crime. It was based on fraudulent activities and a Fake Dossier paid for by Crooked Hillary and the DNC, and improperly used in FISA COURT for surveillance of my campaign. WITCH HUNT!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 18, 2018
Last month, Mueller indicted 13 Russian individuals and three organizations on charges of interfering in the election. Three of Trump's associates -- former national security adviser Michael Flynn, deputy campaign chairman Rick Gates and campaign aide George Papadopoulos -- have pleaded guilty to lying to investigators and agreed to cooperate. Trump's former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, has pleaded not guilty to a variety of money laundering and other criminal charges.
Published: Thursday, March 22, 2018 @ 1:11 PM
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — A Port St. Lucie man who was reported missing days before Hurricane Irma drowned moments after he attacked his mother and caused her death, the St. Lucie County Sheriff’s Office said Wednesday.
Investigators said Lance Whatley, 40, beat his 67-year-old mother, Kathie Whatley, with a hammer while in a manic state on the night of Sept. 7, 2017. He then drowned after driving her car into the North Fork of the St. Lucie River.
DNA analysis confirmed that a badly decomposed body found Sept. 13, 2017, in the water at Port. St. Lucie’s Veterans Memorial Park was that of Lance Whatley, Sheriff Ken J. Mascara said Wednesday.
Kathie Whatley died Sept. 9, a day after she was found unconscious next to a partially submerged car at River Park Marina, about 5 miles north of the park. Investigators found a hammer covered in blood next to her.
Lance Whatley was reported missing when investigators could not find him.
Further investigation revealed that Lance Whatley struck his mother with a hammer, then drove her car into the river, Mascara said. He fell out of the car and drowned as the current carried him downstream.
Lance Whatley was known to have chronic mental issues. Sheriff’s investigators concluded that prior to the attack, Kathie Whatley had driven Lance Whatley around in her car in an effort to calm his anxiety as Irma approached.
Published: Thursday, March 22, 2018 @ 12:15 PM
BROOKLYN, N.Y. — The New York Police Department showed that not only do officers have the skills to enjoy a snow day during the latest nor’easter but they also have big hearts for the children of their beat.
It all started with the kids challenging the officers to a snowball fight.
When it was all said and done, the cops noticed that the kids didn’t have gloves to keep their hands warm in the snow, WABC reported. Instead they were using plastic gloves to protect their hands.
The officers were not going to let that continue so they went to a nearby store and bought new gloves for those who didn’t have them, WABC reported.
The officers’ good deed was posted to Twitter and has gone viral with more than 18,000 views in less than 24 hours.