breaking news

breaking news

UPDATE


Devin Patrick Kelley: What we know about Sutherland Springs Baptist Church shooter

Published: Monday, November 06, 2017 @ 5:26 PM

Who is Devin Patrick Kelley, the Sutherland Springs Baptist Church Shooter

A man opened fire on a church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, Sunday, killing more than 20 people, including the pastor’s 14-year-old daughter, and wounding at least 10 others.

The Texas Department of Public Safety tweeted Monday that the shooter has officially been identified as Devin Patrick Kelley.

>> Read more trending news

According to reports, around 50 people were worshiping when the gunman first shot people outside of the church, then entered the building and continued shooting.

Law enforcement officials confirmed to The Associated Press Sunday that 26 people were killed in the shooting.

According to authorities and other media outlets, here is what is known about Kelley:

  • He was a white male, 26 years old. He was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound in a crashed car after a brief chase following the shooting. Authorities said he used his cellphone to tell his father he had been shot and didn’t think he would survive. He was dressed all in black and was believed to be the only shooter.
  • Kelley fired first outside the church, then went into the church and continued to fire; a resident near the church  began firing his own weapon at Kelley; the resident and another man then chased Kelley until he crashed his car. 
  • Several media sources have said the man who engaged Kelley as he was shooting is Stephen Willeford, though law enforcement officials have not yet confirmed it was Willeford who shot at Kelley. Johnny Langendorff was the other man who chased Kelley.
  • Kelley had three gunshot wounds: One self-inflicted to the head, one in the torso and one in the leg.
  • Kelley lived northeast of San Antonio in New Braunfels, Texas, about 35 miles from Sutherland Springs.
  • Kelley’s Facebook cover photo appeared to show a Ruger 8515 rifle equipped with accuracy-improving aftermarket products, according to The New York Times
  • Facebook friends said Kelley had become “vocally anti-Christian,” according to The New York Times. “He was always talking about how people who believe in God were stupid and trying to preach his atheism,” one of his Facebook friends, Nina Rosa Nava, said in a post. She unfriended him because of the posts. Kelley’s Facebook account has been deleted.
  • He purchased a Ruger AR-556 rifle in April 2016 from an Academy Sports and Outdoors store in San Antonio.
  • Kelley served in the U.S. Air Force at Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico in “cargo, demand and supply and distribution.”
  • He was court-martialed in 2012 for assault on his spouse and her child, according to the Air Force. “He assaulted his stepson severely enough that he fractured his skull, and he also assaulted his wife,” Don Christensen, a retired colonel who was the chief prosecutor for the Air Force, told The New York Times. “He pled to intentionally doing it, served a year of confinement, then received a bad conduct discharge.” 
  • According to The AP, citing federal officials, the Air Force did not submit Kelley’s criminal history despite being required to do so by Pentagon rules. “Under Pentagon rules, information about convictions of military personnel for crimes like assault should be submitted to the FBI’s Criminal Justice Investigation Services Division,” The AP reported. Because it was not submitted to the federal database, it did not appear on background checks that are conducted on potential gun buyers, according to authorities.
  • He was married twice and had become estranged from his second wife, whom he married in April 2014. According to The Times, the second wife sometimes attended First Baptist Church. Wilson County Sheriff Joe Tackitt Jr. told The AP Kelley’s in-laws attended the church “from time to time.” They were not in attendance on Sunday when the shootings took place.
  • According to court records, Kelley was charged with a misdemeanor of cruelty to animals in August 2014. A neighbor, only identified as Susan by the Times, told the publication a man similar in age and appearance to Kelly lived next to her in a Colorado Springs RV park, the city of which has several Air Force bases. Susan said police were called to the home once because the man struck a pit bull puppy in the head. According to the woman, she never got the neighbor’s name, but said the dog was kept tied up outside the RV all day. The cruelty to animals case was dismissed and Susan said her neighbor moved a few weeks later.

According to the San Antonio Express-News, law enforcement agents are searching Kelley’s home for explosives.

Authorities say 23 people were killed inside the church; two were shot and killed  outside the church and another person died at the hospital. The ages of the victims range from 18 months to 72 years old.

The attack came on the anniversary of the mass shooting that took 13 lives at Fort Hood, Texas. On Nov. 5, 2009, U.S. Army Maj. Nidal Hasan shot at least 43 people in the deadliest mass shooting on an American military base. Fort Hood is near Killeen, Texas, which is a little more than 150 miles from Sutherland Springs. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Anthony Borges took bullets for classmates in Parkland school shooting

Published: Monday, February 19, 2018 @ 11:46 PM

Victims of the Florida High School Mass Shooting

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student Anthony Borges is a hero, who put himself in the line of fire to protect his classmates when a gunman rampaged through their Parkland, Florida, school.

>> Read more trending news

Borges’ father and a friend who survived the massacre told ABC News that the 15-year-old Borges put the lives of others before his own.

“None of us knew what to do. So, he took the initiative to just save his other classmates,” Carlos Rodriguez, Borges’ best friend, told ABC’s “Good Morning America.”

A soccer player at the school, Borges placed his body between the gunman and the students. Rodriguez said that he survived the shooting because of Borges’ brave actions.

When gunfire broke out at the school Wednesday, Rodriguez said that Borges and his classmates rushed to hide in a classroom. The gunman was firing randomly at students as he closed in on their position in the building.

>> Related: Florida gun owner surrenders assault rifle after Parkland high school massacre

Rodriguez said that Borges was the last of 20 students to enter the classroom to take cover and that, as he attempted to lock the door, he was shot. He held his ground, keeping his body between the gunman and the other students, all of whom survived without injury.

Borges took five bullets to the back and both legs but survived, his father, Royer Borges, told police.

He told “Good Morning America” that his son called him moments after the attack and described what had happened.

>> Related: NY state troopers fly friend of school massacre victim to Florida for funeral

“He just called me and says, ‘Dad, somebody shot me in the back and my leg, too,'” said Royer Borges, unable to hold back his tears.

The father said others who were inside the building with the gunman shared stories of his son’s courageous actions that might have saved the lives of other students. Royer Borges expressed pride in his son, saying, “He’s my hero.”

Anthony Borges is in stable condition after undergoing hours of surgery, his father said.

“I only ask that people pray for him,” Royer Borges said.

Trending - Most Read Stories

When is the Stoneman Douglas town hall meeting; what time, what channel?

Published: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 @ 10:53 AM

WATCH: Florida High School Shooting Survivor Talks About NRA

Stoneman Douglas High School students and parents will take part in a town hall meeting on Wednesday, a week after the school was the site of a mass shooting.

The meeting will come following a rally Wednesday in Tallahassee where a group of the students hopes to pressure the state’s Republican-controlled Legislature to consider a sweeping package of gun-control laws.

>> Read more trending news

Some of the state’s legislators were given a tour of Stoneman Douglas to see the damage Nikolas Cruz caused when he launched an attack at the Parkland, Florida, school.

Many legislators appeared shaken as they left the school, according to The Associated Press.

A group of students is in Tallahassee to try to get legislators to consider changes in Florida’s gun laws.

“I really think they are going to hear us out,” said Chris Grady, a 19-year-old senior who is going on the trip. He said he hopes the trip will lead to some “commonsense laws like rigorous background checks.”

Here is what you need to know about Wednesday’s town hall meeting.

What is it: "Stand Up: The Students of Stoneman Douglas Demand Action" – a town hall meeting

Where: BB&T Center in Sunrise, Florida

When: Wednesday

What time: 9 p.m. ET

What channel: CNN

Who will be there: In addition to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School students and parents, Florida Rep. Ted Deutch, Sen. Bill Nelson, (D-Fla.), and Sen. Marco Rubio, (R-Fla.), have accepted an invitations to attend. Florida Gov. Rick Scott has declined the invitation, as has President Donald Trump.

Who is moderating: CNN anchor Jake Tapper

Chris Grady, a student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, poses at a memorial outside the school, for Wednesday's mass shooting, in Parkland, Fla., Monday, Feb. 19, 2018. Grady huddled in his classroom at the high school last Wednesday listening to shots ring out nearby, what he felt wasn't fear, but anger. Grady and his friend are among about 100 Stoneman Douglas students who are heading to Florida’s capital, Tallahassee, to push lawmakers to do something to stop gun violence.(AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)

 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Uber Eats driver accused of shooting, killing customer claims self-defense, attorney says

Published: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 @ 2:50 AM

Uber Eats Driver Accused of Killing Customer Turns Himself In, Claims Self Defense

An Uber Eats driver who police said shot and killed a customer in Atlanta turned himself in Monday afternoon and claims he acted in self-defense, his attorney said.

>> Watch the news report here

Only WSB-TV's Tom Jones was there when Robert Bivines, 37, arrived at the jail with his attorney. The Atlanta Police Department's Homicide Unit secured an arrest warrant for felony murder on Monday.

The shooting happened at a condominium on Pharr Road in Buckhead on Saturday night.

Police said Ryan Thornton ordered food from Uber Eats, and the driver delivered the food around 11:30 p.m. Authorities said words were exchanged between Thornton and the driver.

>> PREVIOUS STORY: Uber Eats driver accused of killing customer turns himself in

The Uber Eats driver then shot the 30-year-old, police said.

Thornton died at Grady Memorial Hospital. 

Bivines' attorney, Jackie Patterson, calls this a case of self-defense.

"This is a case where my client had no choice but to defend himself," he said.

Patterson said Thornton was irate about the amount of time it took for his food to arrive. He said Thornton was aggressive, and as Bivines walked away, Thornton made a threatening move. 

"He turned around, put his hand in his pocket and said, 'I'm going to [expletive] you up,'" Patterson said.

Patterson said Bivines was afraid to wait to see what Thornton had in his pocket, so he said he defended himself.

Jones asked Patterson why his client, who had only been on the job less than a week, didn't just drive away.

>> Read more trending news 

"You can't drive away when someone is coming at you with your window down," Patterson said.

Bivines will be taken to the Fulton County Jail.

He will have a first appearance before a judge Tuesday.

Uber sent WSB-TV a statement Monday saying Bivens no longer has access to the app:

“We are shocked and saddened by this senseless act of violence and our hearts go out to Ryan’s friends and family. We have been working with the Atlanta Police Department, and the driver can no longer access the app”

A spokesperson for Uber told WSB-TV that Bivens passed a background check. Bivens was an Uber Eats delivery partner only and did not drive passengers.

Uber is working with the Atlanta Police Department on this investigation.

Morehouse College sent the following statement

"The Morehouse College community is mourning the passing of Ryan Thornton who was was shot Saturday in Atlanta after ordering a late dinner from UberEATS, according to police reports.

"Thornton, 30, was a recent graduate of Morehouse College. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science in May 2017, and had started a new job.

"Morehouse faculty, staff, and administrators on Monday were shocked and saddened by the news of Thornton’s death. Employees in Morehouse College’s admissions office said they worked closely with Thornton and described him as being friendly, hard-working, and determined to become a Morehouse Man. 

"President David A. Thomas said that the Morehouse community stands at the ready to support Thornton’s family during this difficult time.

“ ‘The loss of another young life to gun violence is tragic,' Thomas said. 'Ryan was an ambitious student with so much promise. He was well-respected by his peers and highly regarded by his professors. We at Morehouse College will keep Ryan's family in our thoughts and prayers.’ ”

Trending - Most Read Stories

VIDEO: Florida school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz shown fighting students in 2016

Published: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 @ 1:59 AM

Parkland Shooter Nikolas Cruz Appears At Status Hearing

The man allegedly behind the fatal Florida high school shooting apparently has a disturbing past that is coming to light. A school fight that was captured on camera a little more than a year ago is the latest development.

>> Click here to watch

Authorities said 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz killed 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland. Cruz was formerly a member of the school’s JROTC program before being expelled.

>> Florida school shooting: Teacher of the year's emotional Facebook post goes viral

A September 2016 video shared by ABC News shows Cruz wearing a white shirt and khakis while fighting with other students. Cruz was reportedly handed a two-day suspension following the incident.

>> Family who took in Nikolas Cruz: 'We just didn't know'

According to ABC, the fight was one of five documented incidents that caused school administrators to expel Cruz, mandating his transfer to another high school in February 2017.

>> WATCH: Florida school shooting survivor Emma Gonzalez slams politicians, NRA in emotional speech

Another incident that reportedly contributed to Cruz’s expulsion was his alleged fight with his ex-girlfriend’s new boyfriend. Cruz was allegedly abusive toward her before they broke up.

>> Read more trending news 

The massacre at the high school marked the 25th U.S. school shooting in which someone was killed since the 1999 shooting at Columbine High School.

Related

Trending - Most Read Stories