log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Monday, April 17, 2017 @ 2:01 PM
— Delta Airlines has increased the maximum amount of compensation the airline will offer passengers when reaccommodating travelers on overbooked flights.
According to CNN Money, Delta supervisors are cleared to offer up to $9,950 to passengers who volunteer to give up their seats on overbooked flights. The announcement was made Friday via a Delta spokesperson. The previous maximum compensation offered was $1,350.
The amount Delta gate agents are now allowed to offer passengers who volunteer their seats on overbooked flights increased from $800 to up to $2,000, The Associated Press reported.
Delta told its staff to start compensation offerings “at a lower compensation and increase, if necessary.”
Delta’s updated financial incentive comes days after an incident in which a United Airlines passenger was forcibly removed from a flight after refusing to give up his seat for airline employees who had nowhere to sit on a fully booked flight.
According to the AP, Delta had the lowest rate among airlines of bumping passengers off flights against their will last year.
Out of about 130 million total passengers last year, Delta involuntarily bumped about four passengers each day last year, CNBC reported. In contrast, United bumped more than 10 passengers per day.
In 2015 and 2016, Delta paid an average of $1,118 in compensation to passengers who were denied seats on flights, the AP reported. In comparison, United Airlines paid passengers an average of $565 each.
“If you offer enough money, even the guy going to a funeral will sell his seat,” Ross Aimer, a retired United Airlines pilot said, according to the AP.
Read more at The Associated Press.
Published: Saturday, March 24, 2018 @ 11:55 PM
TULSA, Okla. — Tulsa police said someone stole a firetruck on Saturday night.
Dispatchers told FOX23 the truck was stolen before 8 p.m.
A police helicopter was used to locate the truck, and It was found around 8:24 p.m.
Published: Friday, March 23, 2018 @ 4:47 PM
Updated: Saturday, March 24, 2018 @ 11:07 PM
TULUM, Mexico — A Creston, Iowa, family of four that was previously reported missing in Mexico has been found dead.
KCCI reported that 41-year-old Kevin Sharp, his wife, 38-year-old Amy Sharp, and their children, 12-year-old Sterling and 7-year-old Adrianna were found dead on a tourist condo complex in Tulum, Mexico, a tourist area.
The cause of death was inhalation of toxic gasses, Mexican officials said, according to CBS News.
The Associated Press reported that the developer of the complex declined to comment.
“The Sharps have been located. They were found last night in their condo deceased,” a relative named Ashli Peterson wrote on Facebook, according to The Des Moines Register. “There was no foul play! At this time that is all the information we have.
“Please respect the family at this time as they go through the grieving process. Thank you for all the posts, shares, and kind words,” the post said.
Tulum is in the Quintana Roo state of Mexico on the Yucatan Peninsula. A March 16 travel advisory from the U.S. Department of State said there was a level 2 advisory in the state due to crime. There were no restrictions on U.S. government employees for travel in that state, which has other tourist areas, such as Cancun and Cozumel.
On Thursday, relatives filed a missing persons report through the U.S. Embassy in Mexico, KCCI reported. According to Peterson’s original post, the family had not been in contact with relatives after letting them know they made it to their condo safely.
Creston Police Chief Paul Ver Meer said the family had not boarded their flight from Cancun, Mexico, back to the U.S.
“It’s a very sad day for the Sharp family and the city of Creston as a whole,” Ver Meer said. “We’ll work through this together.”
"It’s a very sad day for the Sharp family and the city of Creston," police chief says after deaths of Iowa family in Mexico https://t.co/QzNwv5cNs0— Des Moines Register (@DMRegister) March 23, 2018
Published: Saturday, March 24, 2018 @ 10:57 PM
TACOMA, Wash. — On Thursday, a jury in federal court unanimously decided that a Tacoma police officer used excessive force while confronting a 15-year-old girl in May 2014.
The City of Tacoma will now have to pay the victim and her family $550,000.
In 2014, Monique Tillman and her brother were biking through the parking lot of the Tacoma Mall when officer Jared Williams tried to stop the siblings from riding away. Williams was off duty and working as a mall security guard.
New video released Thursday shows a bystander’s perspective of the confrontation. It shows Williams pulling the teenager off her bike before putting his arm around her neck. Then, it appears he grabs her hair before pulling her to the ground and using a Taser on her. The video captures the teenager’s scream as her brother watches.
“I didn’t deserve that. Nobody deserves that,” Tillman told KIRO 7 in 2016 when the lawsuit was filed.
In court, Tacoma police said Williams heard the siblings harass people driving by and attempted to stop them as they were riding through a parking lot. Tillman’s attorneys admit the teenager did not want to stop.
“She was not polite,” said attorney Rick Friedman. “She was swearing at the officer because she felt she was being harassed.”
Friedman said it does not excuse the officer’s behavior, especially since surveillance videos show she and her brother were trying to ride away. During the six-day trial, attorneys said Tacoma police agreed with the officer’s actions.
“Their position was that he did nothing wrong,” Friedman said. “The officer could have used even more force, he could have hit her with a baton and he could have punched her in the face.”
A jury concluded this was an example of excessive force and false imprisonment. Attorneys fear it points to a bigger problem.
“I tend to blame the lack of training more than the officer himself,” Friedman said. “It was a sad case all around. It was something that was so avoidable.”
Published: Saturday, March 24, 2018 @ 7:57 PM
— Killer Mike has been outspoken about several social issues, including equality, racism and police brutality. Now he’s speaking up about gun ownership.
In a recent NRATV interview, the Atlanta rapper defended the Second Amendment and challenged anti-gun protesters amid March for Our Lives, the nationwide demonstrations for stricter gun laws.
“You’re not woke! You can’t continue to be the lackey,” he told NRATV host Colion Noir. “You’re a lackey of the progressive movement, because you’ve never disagreed with the people who tell you what to do.”
He also criticized National Walkout Day, where thousands of students across the country walked out of their classrooms as a protest against gun violence following the Parkland High shooting in Florida.
“I told my kids on the school walkout: ‘I love you. If you walk out that school, walk out my house,’” the artist said. “We are a gun-owning family. We are a family where my sister farms. We are a family where we'll fish, we'll hunt. But we are not a family that jumps on every single thing an ally of ours does because some stuff we just don't agree with.”
He also discussed what he teaches his children about gun control.
“I'm very pro-Second Amendment, this is why,” he said. “And before you say, ‘What about the children,’ my daughter goes to Savannah State University. There was also a shooting on that campus. Talked to my wife and daughter after that, the decision was we're gonna go to Savannah, she's gonna get a gun and train more.”
Take a look at the clip below.