Anthony Weiner pleads guilty in sexting case

Published: Friday, May 19, 2017 @ 9:06 AM
Updated: Friday, May 19, 2017 @ 11:38 AM

Anthony Weiner - A History of Scandals

Update 11:39 a.m.: Former Democratic congressman Anthony Weiner on Thursday pleaded guilty to sending obscene material to a minor as part of an investigation into a sexting scandal.

Federal prosecutors in New York said Weiner admitted to sending sexually explicit photos and “directions to engage in sexual conduct” to a 15-year-old girl. He was aware of her age, said acting Manhattan U.S. Attorney John H. Kim.

“Weiner’s conduct was not only reprehensible, but a federal crime,” Kim said.

A charge of transferring obscenity to a minor carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.

Bloomberg News reported Weiner’s plea agreement called for a sentence between 21 and 27 months. Weiner will have to register as a sexual offender, according to Bloomberg.

Weiner cried in court as he apologized to the 15-year-old girl at the heart of the sexting case, The Associated Press reported.

“I have a sickness, but I do not have an excuse,” Weiner said.

He was released on bail Friday ahead of a sentencing hearing scheduled for Sept. 8.

Original story: A former Democratic congressman who was brought down over sexting scandals is scheduled to plead guilty Friday.

Anthony Weiner will plead guilty in federal court to one count of transferring obscene material to a minor, two unnamed sources told The New York Times.

>> Read more trending news 

Weiner’s expected guilty plea is part of a plea agreement. He was in FBI custody Friday morning after turning himself in, ABC News reported.

An investigation was launched last September into reports that Weiner had been sending sexually explicit messages to a 15-year-old girl in North Carolina, The Times reported. That investigation is what prompted the final review in Oct. 2016 of Hillary Clinton’s private server, ABC News reported last year. During the investigation into Weiner’s alleged text message to the teen, at least one device had been found to have allegedly been used by both Weiner and his now estranged wife Huma Abedin, Clinton’s aide. Abedin had an email account on Clinton’s private server, ABC News reported. Days before the November presidential election, now-former FBI director James Comey told Congress about the FBI investigation into emails between Clinton and her aides, The Times reported last year. Two days before the election, Comey wrote a second letter to Congress stating that no new evidence against Clinton was found, Fox News reported. The Comey letters and late-in-the-election investigation have been blamed for Clinton’s loss to President Donald Trump, The Los Angeles Times reported.

Comey testified on May 3 that it makes him “mildly nauseous” that the letters to Congress could have changed the election outcome, NPR reported, but he stood by that he believes he did the right thing.

May 9, Trump fired Comey after the now-former FBI director’s testimony, NPR reported.

Democratic mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner waits to be interviewed while working the phone bank at campaign headquarters on September 9, 2013 in New York City. The city's primary mayoral election is September 10 with the general election scheduled for November 5. (Photo by Mario Tama/Getty Images)(Mario Tama/Getty Images)
Weiner resigned from Congress in June 2011 after explicit pictures in an unrelated case became public, CNN reported.

7-year-old girl 'traumatized' after having head shaved at state-run program

Published: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 10:49 PM

(Boston25News.com)
(Boston25News.com)

A mom is furious after she found out her 7-year-old daughter’s head was shaved clean at a state-run program for kids with behavioral needs.

>> Read more trending news

Denise Robinson’s daughter Tru lives at Little Heroes Home in Dracut, Massachusetts. The biracial girl used to have long locks, but Robinson said the haircut was made without permission and now her is dealing with trauma from the ordeal in addition to a hairless head.

“I feel like my daughter was assaulted and violated,” Robinson said. “They made a game out of it while they were cutting her hair, and after they cut her hair, then they told her oh, it will grow back straight don’t worry.”

That is troubling to Robinson who says aside from her daughter not wanting the haircut, the message is out of line.

“I’m not afraid to say it and talk about the elephant in the room, I believe it’s a biracial matter and by shaving her head close they were somehow implying that straighter hair is better than dread, curly hair,” attorney Richard Kendall said.

Since it happened early this week, Robinson says nobody at Little Heroes Home answered her questions about why it happened, except to say they have authority to cut hair without permission for hygiene purposes. 

“There was no head lice, there was no bedbugs, there was no Rasta locks was going on. Her hair was two ponytails on the side on Saturday, it was braided in the ponytails, there was nothing wrong with her hair,” she said.

It’s left Robinson not just upset, but wondering what else is going on at this state-run program that parents don’t know about.

“What are they doing to these kids?” she said.

WFXT reached out to the Department of Children and Families to ask if it was investigating the issue, officials wouldn’t comment due to privacy issues. 

Little Heroes Group Home did send a statement regarding what happened, saying in part: “We cannot provide any information about any individual served by the program under federal and state law. A review of the circumstances is underway to determine what occurred and, if necessary, appropriate action will be taken.”

Investigators seize $1.5M worth of heroin in Walmart parking lot

Published: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 11:14 PM

The Rockdale County Sheriff's Office confiscated more than $1.5 million worth of heroin in a recent drug bust. (Photo: Rockdale County Sheriff's Office)
The Rockdale County Sheriff's Office confiscated more than $1.5 million worth of heroin in a recent drug bust. (Photo: Rockdale County Sheriff's Office)

A major drug bust in Rockdale County, Georgia, on Wednesday afternoon took more than 10 pounds of heroin off the streets.

>> Read more trending news

Investigators said undercover deputies with the Rockdale County Sheriff’s Office convinced the sellers to meet them in a Walmart parking lot to make a deal.

At that time, authorities recovered nearly 5 kilos of heroin, with a street value of more than $1.5 million. 

Luis Ramirez-Jaramillo and Marco Valdez were arrested during the bust. Both men face charges of trafficking heroin.

After the arrests, deputies went to a home in Conyers where, they said, they recovered an undisclosed amount of drug money.

The bust was conducted by a new Sheriff’s Office Surge Team, which hpes it sends a message to drug dealers.

“We’re not going to let it be a problem in Rockdale County. We’re going to make sure people understand this isn’t the place to do any crimes at all,” said Michael Myers, with the Sheriff’s Office.

The Surge Team is a collaborative effort with local and federal law enforcement agencies.

Study suggests people may be aware they have died after death

Published: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 5:31 PM

An MRI shows a picture of a patient’s brain. Scientists believe new reserach shows the brain may continue functioning after the heart stops beating. 
BSIP/UIG via Getty Images
An MRI shows a picture of a patient’s brain. Scientists believe new reserach shows the brain may continue functioning after the heart stops beating. (BSIP/UIG via Getty Images)

Scientists may be a step closer to solving the mystery surrounding death and what happens next. New research finds a person’s brain is still active after the heart stops beating, so many people actually may be aware that they have died, according to a new report.

>> Read more trending news

Researchers from New York University’s Langone School of Medicine are currently conducting a study to explore how the brain functions after death. 

To do so, they examined individuals who suffered cardiac arrest, but were later revived. The scientists noted that death was defined by when the heart stops and blood stops flowing to the brain.

During the evaluation, many patients were able to recall full conversations and visuals, and in some cases, participants even reported hearing they had been pronounced dead. 

"They'll describe watching doctors and nurses working; they'll describe having awareness of full conversations, of visual things that were going on, that would otherwise not be known to them," lead author Sam Parnia told Live Science.

>> Related: No cure, yet, but scientists may have found the cause of dyslexia

Scientists confirmed the patients’ stories with doctors and nurses present at the time of death, and were stunned to hear what the subjects remembered.

Why is there still brain activity after death?

Brain death is a process. It takes up to 20 seconds before brain waves are no longer detectable. Once they aren’t, a set of cellular processes take place that eventually result in brain death. And this could occur hours after the heart has stopped, Parnia said. 

"If you manage to restart the heart, which is what CPR attempts to do, you'll gradually start to get the brain functioning again. The longer you're doing CPR, those brain cell death pathways are still happening — they're just happening at a slightly slower rate," he said.

The scientists are now expanding their ongoing experiment, which will be the largest of its kind, to investigate the occurrences of consciousness after death and how it may affect the rest of a person’s life if they are revived.

>> Related: After near-death experience, Atlanta teen pursues songwriting dreams

"In the same way that a group of researchers might be studying the qualitative nature of the human experience of 'love.'” Parnia said. 

“For instance, we're trying to understand the exact features that people experience when they go through death, because we understand that this is going to reflect the universal experience we're all going to have when we die."

Teacher put duct tape over 5th-graders’ mouths, school officials say

Published: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 10:17 PM

(Getty file photo)
dspn/Getty Images/iStockphoto
(Getty file photo)(dspn/Getty Images/iStockphoto)

A substitute teacher at Maxdale Elementary School in Killeen, Texas, was removed from campus on Thursday after putting duct tape over the mouths of 10 fifth-graders for several minutes.

>> Read more trending news

Killeen Independent School District spokesman Terry Abbott said in a statement on Thursday afternoon that three other students also put duct tape over their own mouths as a result of the teacher’s actions.

“As soon as school leaders learned of this incident, all 13 students were taken to the school nurse for observation and any treatment necessary,” Abbott said. “All 13 students are well and continued with their classes afterwards.”

Authorities notified Child Protective Services of the incident so it can pursue further investigation.

“The substitute teacher was immediately removed from the classroom and barred from the campus as a result of this outrageous and unconscionable behavior,” the district said.