Activists to rally against body odor law

Published: Monday, February 23, 2015 @ 8:41 AM
Updated: Monday, February 23, 2015 @ 10:19 AM

Trending on Facebook

More popular and trending stories

Activists in Burien, Washington, will protest a new law that bans people from having bad body odor in public.

 The ordinance bans people from public places for "social offenses," such as excessive body odor, boisterous behavior and brushing their teeth in public places such as city parks, libraries and City Hall. 

>> Read more trending stories  
 
Those who are caught smelling bad in public could be barred from being in that public place for as long as a year. 

The city says the idea is to protect people from offensive odors and behavior. But civil rights groups say the law is unconstitutional because it seems to single out a particular group of people, the homeless

Several civil rights groups are planning to march and rally at Burien City Hall Monday night.

"It's hard to believe that a well-dressed middle class woman is going to be booted out of the library for her perfume, whereas a homeless person is much more likely to be targeted," said Doug Honig with the American Civil Liberties Union.
 
According to a news release, the rally at 6:45 p.m. is meant to "expose the Burien City Council" for passing a law that "criminalizes and profiles homeless people.”

HGTV to air 'Fixer Upper' and 'Flip or Flop' spin-off shows

Published: Thursday, March 23, 2017 @ 5:18 PM
Updated: Thursday, March 23, 2017 @ 5:01 PM

HGTV to air 'Fixer Upper' and 'Flip or Flop' spin-off shows

HGTV fans, get ready for more “Fixer Upper” and “Flip or Flop.”

>> Read more trending news

Joanna Gaines, star of hit show “Fixer Upper,” is getting her own spin-off show on HGTV.

In her new show, Gaines will bring viewers a behind-the-scenes look at her creative process when designing a home. The show will be called, “Fixer Upper: Behind the Design” and is set to premiere on March 28 after the season finale of “Fixer Upper.”

Fun news!! Watch #behindthedesign sneak peek Tuesday 3/28 at 10p CST #sniupfront

A post shared by Joanna Stevens Gaines (@joannagaines) on

HGTV has also announced it will produce several spin-offs of “Flip or Flop” set in various cities outside of Tarek and Christina El Moussa’s native in Orange Country, California. “Flip or Flop” remains one of the most popular series on the network despite the stars’ very public divorce.

“The tremendous, consistent ratings success of the original ‘Flip or Flop’ with Tarek and Christina El Moussa inspired us to take a new look at house flipping programming,” said Scripps’ U.S. programming and development GM Allison Page, according to The Hollywood Reporter. “We saw an opportunity to highlight what works in other regions by featuring successful couples that had mastered the art of flipping in their town.”

The series spin-offs will be set in Las Vegas, Nevada; Fort Worth, Texas; Nashville, Tennessee; and Chicago, Illinois.

Judge gets death threats after blocking Trump travel ban: report

Published: Thursday, March 23, 2017 @ 4:57 PM

Judge gets death threats after blocking Trump travel ban: report

The federal judge who acted first to block President Donald Trump’s most recent travel ban has received numerous death threats since the ruling, prompting authorities to give him a 24-hour protection detail, according to a report.

>> Read more trending news

U.S. District Judge Derrick Watson, who presides over cases in Hawaii, blocked Trump’s revised travel ban last week. He rejected the government’s claims that the ban was imperative to national security and not a form of religious discrimination.

Several threats have been made against Watson in the wake of his March 15 ruling, Hawaii News Now reported. The U.S. Marshals Service has flown in about a dozen marshals to protect him around the clock, according to the news station.

FBI officials told Hawaii News Now that authorities are aware of the threats but declined to provide details on their nature or form.

Trump called Watson’s ruling an example of "unprecedented judicial overreach" and said his administration would appeal it to the U.S. Supreme Court.

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

Short on votes, Republicans delay House vote on GOP health care bill

Published: Thursday, March 23, 2017 @ 4:20 PM
Updated: Thursday, March 23, 2017 @ 4:21 PM

After hours of negotiations that featured personal intervention by President Donald Trump, Republican leaders in the Congress were forced to back off a planned vote on a GOP health care bill, unable to find enough votes approve it and send it on to the Senate for further work.

While House leaders said votes were possible on Friday, there was no final agreement to vote on, as more conservative members of the House Freedom Caucus refused to get on board with a deal offered by the White House.

“We have not gotten enough of our members to get to yes,” said Rep. Mark Meadows (R-NC), the chair of the Freedom Caucus.

“I am still a no at this time,” Meadows told a crush of reporters. “I am desperately trying to get to yes.”

Other Freedom Caucus members said very little as they exited a Congressional hearing room after a two hour meeting on the health bill, leaving Meadows to get out the message.

“No comment,” said Rep. Ron DeSantis (R-FL). “Mark’s got everything,” referring to Meadows.

“You know I’m not going express the substance of anything that we talked about in there,” said Rep. Trent Franks (R-AZ) said as reporters trailed him down the hall.

Earlier at the White House, there had been optimism after a meeting between Freedom Caucus members and the President.

But, there was no deal.

Florida man burns books, starts 600-acre wildfire

Published: Thursday, March 23, 2017 @ 2:45 PM
Updated: Thursday, March 23, 2017 @ 4:16 PM

Florida man burns books, starts 600-acre wildfire

A 696-acre wildfire in Nassau County is 65 percent contained, according to the Florida Forest Service on Thursday.

>> Read more trending news

Firefighters have been working since Wednesday on a wildfire in Bryceville, Florida, that was accidentally started by someone illegally burning paperback books, officials said.

Officials said two homes were destroyed as well as sheds and vehicles. Ten homes were reported as having some damage.

The Florida Forest Service said they identified the person who started the fire and that person will be financially responsible for damages. 

There might be some challenges in extinguishing the fire since strong winds are expected Thursday afternoon, officials said.

Firefighters said that 150 people are displaced and an evacuation order is still in place. A shelter is open at Bryceville Baptist Church for anyone who was displaced by the fire. 

The Florida Forest Service said this is the worst massive wildfire for the county since 1998.

Firefighters were working early Thursday morning to contain the fire along the eastern edges of the fire line. The fire department has been putting out hot spots around houses.

Officials said the area is not safe for residents since a lot of power lines have been damaged during the fire.

Road closures are in effect at several locations.

Crews from Georgia arrived to assist local firefighters on Thursday. 

The fairgrounds are open for residents who need to shelter livestock and animals. 

Behind the burn lines of the #NassauCounty #wildfire in #Florida #FirstAlertWx

A post shared by ActionNewsJax.com (@actionnewsjax) on