breaking news


Ivanka Trump fans spending up to $60K on plastic surgery to look like her

Published: Sunday, March 19, 2017 @ 7:02 AM

Some women are paying tens of thousands of dollars to look like Ivanka Trump, according to USA Today.

According to Dr. Franklin Rose, a Houston-based plastic surgeon, there has been an uptick in customers who want to more closely resemble the president's eldest daughter. Patients seeking plastic surgery often show up for their first appointment with a photo of a celebrity to indicate the type of work they’d like to have done, he said; for example, one might show a surgeon a photo of Angelina Jolie if the patient is seeking a lip filler. According to Rose, “Ivanka is sort of the new style icon for plastic surgery” within his practice.

>> Read more trending news

USA Today reports that one of Rose’s patients, 37-year-old Jenny Stewart, spent $30,000 to look more like Trump. That large sum was also a discounted fee because Stewart agreed to talk to reporters. Another one of his patients paid $60,000 to look like Trump and was profiled in People magazine. Rose said he isn’t surprised by the demand to look like Trump, given that the first daughter is a beautiful woman with covetable features, such as a small nose and high cheekbones.

Dr. Rob Rohrich, another plastic surgeon based in Texas, agreed with Rose's assessment of Trump’s popularity and influence.

“Yes, absolutely, I have had a lot of patients in the past six months or more who ask about Ivanka’s great and sculpted, clean facial features, including her high cheekbones and beautiful skin and elegant nose,” Rohrich said.

However, it’s possible that this phenomenon is contained to Texas. According to two East Coast surgeons profiled by USA Today, there has been no increase in demands to look like Trump — primarily because their clients don’t seek plastic surgery to look like somebody else; instead, they request that their surgeons enhance the natural features they already possess so that it can look as natural as possible.

Infowars' Alex Jones apologizes for spreading fake 'Pizzagate' story

Published: Sunday, March 26, 2017 @ 2:23 AM

In this Dec. 5, 2016, file photo, the front door of Comet Ping Pong pizza shop in Washington. (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana)
Jose Luis Magana/AP

Alex Jones on Friday apologized to the owner of a Washington, D.C., pizzeria for spreading the fake story last year that linked the restaurant to Hillary Clinton’s campaign and human trafficking.

Jones, as the Austin, Texas-based host of Infowars.com, has a long history of pushing wild and false conspiracy theories, such as claiming that the U.S. government perpetrated the 9/11 attacks or the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, was a hoax.

But in a rare backtracking mea culpa, Jones apologized for his role in promoting the baseless “Pizzagate” story that went viral among right-wing bloggers and media sites during the 2016 presidential campaign.

>> Watch the clip here

The gist of the fake story accused Hillary Clinton and her presidential campaign chairman, John Podesta, of running a child sex abuse ring through the Comet Ping Pong restaurant owned by James Alefantis. Podesta’s comments about the pizzeria — made in Democratic Party emails exposed by WikiLeaks — became fodder for fake news web portals as well as popular user-generated content sites like Reddit and 4chan.

Jones, in a statement he read aloud for his online audience, tried to put some distance between himself and the fake story and blamed “scores of media outlets,” “third-party accounts of alleged activities” and “accounts of (Infowars) reporters who are no longer with us” for the “incorrect narrative” he discussed several times on his program.

>> Read more trending news

“In our commentary about what had become known as Pizzagate, I made comments about Mr. Alefantis that in hindsight I regret, and for which I apologize to him,” Jones said.

In language that was clearly sculpted by a legal mind hoping to avoid possible litigation, Jones added: “To my knowledge today, neither Mr. Alefantis nor his restaurant Comet Ping Pong, were involved in any human trafficking as was part of the theories about Pizzagate.”

For many people, the Pizzagate conspiracy theory became part of the mainstream political discussion only in December, after 28-year-old Edgar Maddison Welch of North Carolina reportedly brought a gun into a Comet Ping Pong packed with customers, and pointed it at an employee in hopes of finding proof of “Pizzagate.”

Welch surrendered to police when he found no evidence that children were being harbored there, D.C. police said at the time. He pleaded guilty to weapons and assault charges Friday, CNN reported.

Trump budget proposal includes 25 percent cut to food stamps: report

Published: Monday, May 22, 2017 @ 1:09 PM

WASHINGTON, DC - MAY 18:  U.S. President Donald Trump delivers remarks during a joint news conference with Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos at the White House May 18, 2017 in Washington, DC. The Trump administration has said it wants to slash foreign aide and Santos will most likely seek a renewal of $450 million dollars from the U.S. that supports the peace accord between the Columbian government at the Revolutionary Armed Forces (FARC).  (Photo by Mark Wilson/Getty Images)
Mark Wilson/Getty Images

President Donald Trump will propose a more than 25 percent cut to food stamp funding in a budget proposal expected Tuesday, according to a report.

>> Read more trending news

The president will propose $193 billion worth of cuts over the next decade from the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program, formerly known as the food stamp program, The Associated Press reported, citing talking points circulated by the White House.

The program currently serves about 42 million people, according to numbers released in February by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

The cuts would drive millions of people off food stamps through changes in eligibility guidelines and the implementation of additional work requirements, according to The AP.

SNAP’s current work requirement is aimed at cutting benefits to the “most able-bodied adults who don’t have children,” The Washington Post reported.

About 44 million people spread across 21 million households got benefits through SNAP last year, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Officials said participants got an average of $125 per month, while households got an average of $258. The program cost $70.9 billion in 2016.

Trump’s budget proposal is also expected to include large cuts to Medicaid, federal employee pensions, welfare benefits and farm subsidies.

Related

Trump told Russian officials firing 'nut job' Comey relieved pressure on him: report

Published: Friday, May 19, 2017 @ 3:46 PM
Updated: Friday, May 19, 2017 @ 4:50 PM

U.S. President Donald Trump (C) shakes hands with James Comey, director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), during an Inaugural Law Enforcement Officers and First Responders Reception in the Blue Room of the White House on January 22, 2017 in Washington, DC. Trump today mocked protesters who gathered for large demonstrations across the U.S. and the world on Saturday to signal discontent with his leadership, but later offered a more conciliatory tone, saying he recognized such marches as a

President Donald Trump told Russian officials during a meeting last week that firing FBI Director James Comey relieved “great pressure” on him, according to a report from The New York Times.

>> Read more trending news

Trump spoke about the decision to fire Comey one day after dismissing the top cop, The Times reported, citing a document that summarized the May 10 meeting. The document was read to the newspaper by an American official.

The Washington Post reported Monday that Trump shared classified, sensitive information related to the fight against the Islamic State May 10 during a meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and Russia’s ambassador to the U.S., Sergey Kislyak.

 

The White House has denied the report. 

"I just fired the head of the FBI. He was crazy, a real nut job,” Trump said at the meeting, according to the Times report. “I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off. ... I'm not under investigation.”

Multiple investigations into ties between Russia and Trump and his advisers are ongoing. At least one is focused on whether Trump obstructed justice by pressuring Comey to drop his investigation into former National Security adviser Michael Flynn.

>> Related: Report: Trump asked Comey to drop Flynn investigation

The White House has denied any wrongdoing by the president. Trump has characterized the investigations as being part of a "witch hunt."

In a statement released to The Times, White House press secretary Sean Spicer said Comey put "unnecessary pressure on our ability to engage and negotiate with Russia" because of Comey's "grandstanding and politicizing (of) the investigation into Russia's actions."

>> Related: Who are key players in the Russia/Trump saga?

"The investigation would have always continued, and obviously, the termination of Comey would not have ended it," Spicer said. "Once again, the real story is that our national security has been undermined by the leaking of private and highly classified conversations.”

>> Related: House committee wants Comey to testify about Trump, Russia probe

American journalists were barred from the May 10 meeting between Trump and Russian officials, although a photographer working for Russian state-owned media was allowed to photograph the event.

National Security adviser H.R. McMaster was also present for the meeting. He denied on Tuesday that anything inappropriate was discussed by Trump.

Related

Trump pick for FBI director coming 'soon,' president says

Published: Friday, May 19, 2017 @ 1:54 PM

WASHINGTON, DC - MAY 18:  US President Donald Trump takes questions from reporters during a joint news conference with Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos at the White House May 18, 2017 in Washington, DC. The Trump administration has said it wants to slash foreign aide and Santos will most likely seek a renewal of $450 million dollars from the U.S. that supports the peace accord between the Columbian government at the Revolutionary Armed Forces (FARC).  (Photo by Mark Wilson/Getty Images)
Mark Wilson/Getty Images

President Donald Trump plans to announce his pick for FBI director “very soon.”

“We’re going to have a director who is going to be outstanding. I’ll be announcing that director very soon,” Trump said Thursday in a joint news conference with Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos.

>> Read more trending news

“I think the people in the FBI will be very, very thrilled,” he said.

Trump last week fired FBI Director James Comey amid a bureau investigation into whether Trump or his advisers worked with Russia to interfere in the November election.

The White House denied that the dismissal was related to the Russia investigation, although Trump told NBC News last week that he had “this Russia thing” on his mind when making the decision.

>> Related: Report: Trump asked Comey to drop Flynn investigation

Trump confirmed Thursday that former Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman was a leading candidate to become the country’s next top cop.

Trump met with Lieberman at the White House on Wednesday, The Associated Press reported. Trump has also interviewed three other possible picks: Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe, former FBI official Richard McFeely and former Oklahoma Gov. Frank Keating, according to The AP.

>> Related: Who is Joe Lieberman?

The Senate will be tasked with confirming whoever Trump nominates.

“We need a great director of the FBI,” Trump said Thursday. “I cherish the FBI. It’s special. All over the world, no matter where you go, the FBI is special.”

Related