Man sent to prison for vehicle theft, pursuit that injured trooper

Published: Monday, June 24, 2013 @ 3:36 PM
Updated: Monday, June 24, 2013 @ 3:36 PM

A Dayton man has admitted guilt and been sent to prison for a theft of vehicles and a high-speed pursuit that resulted in the injury of a Ohio Highway Patrol Trooper in December.

Trevon Broomfield, 21, pleaded guilty Friday in Warren County Common Pleas Court to failure to comply with the order of a police officer, felonious assault of a police officer, receiving stolen property and three counts of theft. He was immediately sentenced to seven years in prison by Judge Don Oda.

According to prosecutors, on Dec. 8, 2012, Broomfield stole a car from a Franklin home after it was listed on craigslist. The stolen car was recovered in Moraine after being sold to another person. On Dec. 29, Broomfield met a Mason couple at a church parking lot in Mason and after a test drive stole their Chevrolet Tahoe, which had also been listed on craigslist. That vehicle was sold to a man in Springfield and later recovered.

On Jan. 15, Broomfield met a West Chester Twp. man who had listed a car for sale on craigslist. Again, after a test drive, he drove off. The stolen vehicle was spotted by West Chester police about an hour later and a pursuit began. The pursuit reached speeds of more than 120 mph and went through Monroe and then toward Lebanon, according to prosecutors.

Trooper Sharese Williams positioned her patrol car in front of the Warren County garage on Ohio 63 and deployed stop sticks in the road. As Broomfield approached the trooper, he drove the car off the right side of the road, injuring Williams. After striking Williams, the car struck her patrol car causing Williams to flip over and crash. Bloomfield was ejected from the stolen car and captured by Lebanon police.

Driver who crashed into New Orleans parade crowd identified

Published: Saturday, February 25, 2017 @ 8:43 PM
Updated: Sunday, February 26, 2017 @ 8:15 PM


            Driver who crashed into New Orleans parade crowd identified

Police identified the driver who crashed through a parade crowd in New Orleans. 

Neilson Rizzuto, 25, was arrested and charged with first degree negligent vehicular injuring, hit-and-run driving causing serious injury and reckless operation of a vehicle, New Orleans Police said in a statement Sunday.

>> Read more trending news

Rizzuto careened through a crowd during a parade Saturday on one of the busiest nights of the Mardi Gras season, injuring at least 28 people, police say. There were no fatalities.

A breath alcohol test determined that Rizzuto's alcohol level was three times the legal limit.

Rizzuto drove a gray truck through the Krewe of Endymion parade around 6:45 p.m., according to The Advocate.

"Initial reports show so far about a dozen people are in critical condition," police spokeswoman Ambria Washington told The Times-Picayune. "That number could increase as the investigation is ongoing."

Twenty-one people were hospitalized, five in critical condition. Seven other people declined treatment.

The crash comes during the final weekend of Carnival at one of the city's largest parades.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

U.S. overdose deaths doubled from 1999; Ohio in Top 5

Published: Monday, February 27, 2017 @ 11:06 AM


            U.S. overdose deaths doubled from 1999; Ohio in Top 5

The rate of fatal overdose deaths in the United States has more than doubled since 1999, rising from 6.1 deaths per 100,000 people to 16.3 deaths per 100,000 in 2015, according to a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

RELATED: Employers track medication use to combat abuse

That was faster than the rate of suicides and car accidents in 2015, underscoring the tragic consequences of a growing nationwide heroin epidemic, which accounted for 25 percent of the overdose deaths in 2015 — triple the share from 1999, according to the report.

RELATED: China bans opioid fueling surge of American overdose deaths

Ohio — with a overdose death rate of 29.9 per 100,000 — was among the five states with the highest rates of death due to drug overdoses in 2015, according to the CDC, including: West Virginia (41.5 per 100,000), New Hampshire (34.3 per 100,000), Kentucky (29.9 per 100,000), and Rhode Island (28.2 per 100,000).

RELATED: Stark number of ER visits show heroin’s local grip

Locally, Montgomery County health officials say overdose deaths are now the No. 1 public health threat, burdening rehab and addiction services.

RELATED: Heroin fight strains addiction services

“This epidemic has taken us all by storm, all across this country,” said Helen Jones-Kelley, executive director of the Alcohol, Drug Addiction and Mental Health Services board of Montgomery County. “We have never seen an addiction crisis like this, at least not in my career.”

Springboro school bomb threat case dismissed

Published: Monday, February 27, 2017 @ 11:01 AM


            Springboro school bomb threat case dismissed

A judge dismissed a juvenile court case this morning against a 12-year-old special education student at Springboro Junior High School charged with making a false bomb threat at the school in January.

This stems from a Jan. 13 incident reported on for the first time today.

A 12-year-old charged in a Feb. 2 incident at the junior high, however, remains on house arrest.

These two cases and incidents sparking evacuation of South Lebanon Elementary School on consecutive days this year follow a series last year at schools in Springboro, Lebanon and Waynesville.

RELATED: Frustration builds over false bomb threats

Judge J0e Kirby dismissed the January case this morning after prosecutors and defense agreed to accept the finding of a competency report completed on Feb. 21.

“Neither party submits additional evidence,” Kirby said in a ruling today. “The child is presently incapable of understanding the nature and objective of proceedings.”

DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE APPS FOR LATEST BREAKING NEWS

Kirby also ended GPS monitoring under which the boy had been allowed to be released from detention on house arrest since Jan. 17, four days after he was ordered to be held in the detention center.

The boy was held in detention on a making false alarms charge filed after he told his special education teacher he “had a bomb in his bag and threw the bag on the floor. This was overheard by another student and circulated to other teachers,” according to court records.

Oscars 2017: What does the blue ribbon seen at the Oscars stand for?

Published: Monday, February 27, 2017 @ 8:15 AM
Updated: Monday, February 27, 2017 @ 8:23 AM


            Oscars 2017: What does the blue ribbon seen at the Oscars stand for?

Several stars were sporting blue ribbons at Sunday’s Academy Awards ceremony in support of the American Civil Liberties Union.

Lin-Manuel Miranda, Karlie Kloss and Ruth Negga were among the stars who wore the ribbons that had “ACLU” printed on them.

“I’m wearing an ACLU ribbon because they’re fighting incredible fights right now for American ideals,” Lin-Manuel Miranda said.

The ACLU offers attorney services for those fighting civil liberty issues in court, and has a stated mission "to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed to every person in this country by the Constitution and laws of the United States."  

In January, the ACLU filed a lawsuit against President Trump’s administration on behalf of two men detained and threatened with deportation at New York’s John F. Kennedy airport following the implementation of the Trump administration's travel ban. The organization received more than $24 million after the ban went into place.