Trump rally accused stage runner next court date announced

Published: Saturday, March 12, 2016 @ 12:17 PM
Updated: Thursday, March 31, 2016 @ 11:30 AM

Thomas DiMassimo, the Fairborn man accused of vaulting over a railing and rushing the stage during Donald Trump’s campaign rally in Vandalia, appeared today in federal court.

  • DiMassimo, 22, charged with entering a restricted building or grounds without authority
  • DiMassimo pleaded not guilty in federal court March 25
  • DiMassimo accused of rushing stage at March 12 Trump rally
  • Secret service jumped to stage to protect Trump
  • DiMassimo led controversial civil rights protest last year at Wright State
  • Next court appearance scheduled for April 15

 

UPDATE @ 10:06 a.m.:

No action was taken in court today following a status conference in federal court for Thomas DiMassimo.

DiMassimo’s next court appearance is set for April 15, with a deadline to file evidence set for April 11.

FULL REPORT

DiMassimo appeared in U.S. District Court in Dayton March 25 for his initial appearance, where he entered a plea of not guilty in front of the judge.

“He has political views and wanted them to be heard,” said Jon Paul Rion, attorney for DiMassimo. “He did not attempt to cause anything other than that.”

The charge against DiMassimo comes with a sentence of up to one year and a fine of up to $100,000 if convicted.

“It’s our belief that this is presumed to be probation even if he were to enter a plea today,” Rion said.

Benjamin Glassman, acting U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Ohio, thinks this case is important when it comes to this year’s elections and the events surrounding them.

“Passions are high in this election. We think it’s important for people attending a political events, whether they’re attending to support the candidate or attending to protest, that everybody is safe,” Glassman said.

While Donald Trump was speaking to supporters at his rally at Wright Brothers Aero at the Dayton International Airport, DiMassimo was accused of jumping over a security railing in an attempt to get onto the stage where Trump was speaking.

WATCH THE VIDEO OF THE INCIDENT HERE

Details from the arrest report

DiMassimo nearly made it onto the stage. However, several secret service agents grabbed the 22-year-old and took him into custody.

“I was ready for him, but it’s much easier if the cops do it, don’t we agree?” Trump said following the incident.

In April 2015, Dimassimo, then a Wright State University junior, helped lead an anti-racism protest that included students standing on American flags and holding signs saying, “Not my flag.”

“I thought it would ruffle some feathers, but I did not anticipate how tense the backlash would become,” DiMassimo told this newspaper at the time. “If anything, all that has shown is that people in this area and people on the Internet care more about a symbolic piece of cloth, than they do a black person’s life … or, even beyond that, our Constitutional rights.”

CLICK HERE FOR COMPLETE COVERAGE OF THE DONALD TRUMP RALLY

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

 

 

CLICK HERE FOR COMPLETE COVERAGE OF THE DONALD TRUMP RALLY

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Dayton traffic from the WHIO Traffic Center

Published: Friday, May 26, 2017 @ 4:40 AM
Updated: Friday, May 26, 2017 @ 6:50 AM

Staff photo

Check this page for a full list of crashes, disabled vehicles, construction projects and other hazards impacting your commute.

Traffic issues can be reported by calling our newsroom at 937-259-2237 or tweeting @WHIOTraffic .

Sgt. Mark Bowron is updating conditions every six minutes on AM 1290 and News 95.7 FM.

RELATED: Find the lowest gas prices in your neighborhood with our Pump Patrol

Major Highway Incidents

  • No issues have been reported.

RELATED: Check for delays or cancellations before heading to the airport

Surface Street Incidents

  • On Grand Avenue near I-75 and Riverview Avenue in Dayton, police and medics were requested to check on two reported crashes in the area around 6:45 a.m. It was not immediately clear how many crashes are in the area. 

WEATHER: Dry today, storms tonight

Ongoing Construction & Other Closures 

MONTGOMERY COUNTY

  • I-75 south near North Main Street in Dayton, lane closure May 1st – 26th. Two southbound lanes will remain open.
  • I-75 south ramp to US 35 west will be closed from January 9th to September 30th to replace a bridge deck beam that was not included in the I-75 modernization project. The official detour is: I-75 south to the Edwin C. Moses turn around lane to I-75 north to US 35 west.
  • I-75 north ramp the US 35 east will be closed March 28th to September 23rd. ODOT lists the suggested detour as NB I-75 to US 35 west, to James H McGee Blvd, to US 35 east. 
  • I-70 between I-75 and SR 202, Nightly lane closures May 15th – June 6th between 6 pm and 6 am. Two lanes will be closed starting at 9 pm. 
  • I-70 between Airport Access Road and Taywood Road, Lane closures April 3rd - June 30th. Two lanes will remain open.
  • US 35 east Ramp to Perry Street, ramp closure April 1st – May 30th. The official detour is: US 35 east to Jefferson Street to South Patterson Blvd. to Stout Street to Perry Street.
  • Ludlow Street Ramp to westbound US 35 in Dayton, ramp closure May 12th – August 9th. The suggested ODOT detour is: Washington Street to US 35 west.
  • SR 49 south between Brookville-Salem Road and Pleasant Plain Road, Lane closures through May 31. One southbound lane will remain open.
  • Hoover Avenue between Gettysburg Avenue and Elmhurst Road in Dayton will be closed starting April 3 until early June for water line construction. The construction will also impact the intersection of Hoover and Gettysburg avenues and drivers should expect congestion and delays. Detours will be posted. 
  • Bridgewater Road between Taylorsville Road and US 40, bridge closure May 15TH – September 12th. The official detour is: Bridgewater Road to Taylorsville Road to Rip Rap Road to Little York Road to Brown School Road to US 40
  • The Webster Street bridge is closed as it is rebuilt. A detour will take drivers to Keowee Street to Monument Avenue. The project is scheduled to be completed in November of 2017 

MIAMI COUNTY 

  • SR 202 between Ross Road and US 40, road closure May 22nd through 31st. The official detour is: US 40 to I-75 to SR 571 to SR 202
  • Piqua-Troy Road between Statler Road and Eldean Roadbridge closure April 12th – October 12th. The official ODOT detour is: Piqua-Troy Road to West Peterson Road to CR 25A to Eldean Road to Piqua-Troy Road.
  • Statler Road between Cromes Drive and Free Road, road closure until June 15th. The official detour is: Cromes Drive/Looney Road to US 36 to Troy-Sidney Road to Statler Road. 

GREENE COUNTY

  • Gate 19B on National Road at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base is closed until mid-June for a $1.3 million security upgrade. Drivers should expect delays around the base at the three gates remaining open, Gate 16B off Kaufman Avenue, Gate 1B off Springfield Street, and Gate 22B at I-675 and Col. Glenn Highway. Gate 22B will be inbound traffic only during the morning commute. 

CLARK COUNTY 

  • I-70 east Ramp to I-675 north, ramp closure April 19th – October 31st. The official detour is: I-675 to SR 444 to I-675 north.
  • SR 565 between SR 29 and Houston Pike, Daily lane closures May 22nd through September 30th between 7 am and 5 pm. One lane will remain open in each direction.

DARKE COUNTY

  • SR 571 between US 36 and Jaysville-St. Johns Road, road closure May 25th through June 2nd. The official detour is: US 36 to US 127 to SR 49 to SR 721
  • US 36 between US 127 and SR 48, Lane closures April 24th – June 30th. One lane will remain open in each direction.
  • SR 721 between US 36 and Covington-Gettysburg Road, bridge closure March 20th – June 3rd. The official detour is: US 36 to SR 48 to SR 718.
  • SR 121 between Arnold Street and Fairview Avenue, Daily lane closures April 24th – September 1st between 7 am and 5 pm. One lane will remain open in each direction.

CHAMPAIGN COUNTY

  • US 36 between Berwick Drive and Dugan Road, road closure April 10th – July 10th. The suggested ODOT detour is: SR 814 to SR 296 to US 68.
  • US 36 between SR 814 and McMahill Road, lane closures May 22nd through September 30th between 7 am and 5 pm. One lane will remain open in each direction.
  • SR 54 between SR 4 and Brigner Road, lane closures May 22nd through September 30th between 7 am and 5 pm. One lane will remain open in each direction.
  • SR 55 between Elm Tree Road and Edgewood Avenue, lane closures May 22nd through September 30th between 7 am and 5 pm. One lane will remain open in each direction.
  • SR 296 between SR 29 and SR 814Daily lane closures May 22nd through September 30th between 7 am and 5 pm. One lane will remain open in each direction.

SHELBY COUNTY 

  • Amsterdam Road between CR 25A (Sidney) and Heiland Kies Road, road closure May 15th– August 15th. The official detour from ODOT is: Amsterdam Road to CR 25A to SR 274 to Heiland Kies Road to Amsterdam Road

Download our free WHIO news app which will send you notifications of major traffic issues and provide you with 24/7 updates on breaking news and weather.

Get a live look at highways on our traffic cameras here.

Latest traffic conditions are also available on our traffic map. 

 

 

 

Miami Valley Hospital to pilot stroke app

Published: Friday, May 26, 2017 @ 6:41 AM



Kelly Settle

DAYTON — Miami Valley Hospital will pilot a new smart device app designed to increase coordinated care for stroke victims and reduce the time it takes to reverse potential brain damage.

The hospital is the first in Southwest Ohio to pilot the device, according to a Miami Valley Hospital news release.  

Miami Valley Hospital has partnered with Dayton Fire Department, Riverside Fire Department and Jefferson Township Fire Department to pilot the app. Each jurisdiction’s squads were trained in April and are excited about the potential for patient care. 

“This app will speed up medics’ ability to gather patient information, and allow them to take pictures and relay information using voice-to-text,” said Lt. Jack Mix with the Dayton Fire Department. 

The app’s pilot will determine if Premier Health extends its use with other EMS squads and throughout its system. 

Pulsara, a cloud-based communication application, will place all members of the hospital’s stroke team on alert and keep them up-to-date with the case with one tap of the app by EMS crews. The instant coordination of care could buy more time for a stroke victim whose ability to be treated by clot-busting medication is limited to just hours after symptoms begin, and whose outcome is improved by more rapid treatment. 

“The most exciting thing is that everyone will be on the same page almost instantly as new information becomes available,” said Dr. John Terry, director of inpatient stroke care at Miami Valley Hospital. “The efficiency of stroke care can be affected by the time it takes to bring every member of the team up-to-date, and our ability to determine what type of care the patient can receive.” 

Now, EMS crews call in stroke cases to one contact who calls different members on the team. Each touch point takes time and involves verbally relaying information about the patient’s case.

Pulsara will enable the team to simultaneously consult and communicate vital information, according to the news release which notes research has shown the use of Pulsara results in a 46 percent improvement in door-to-needle time — the time it takes between a patient’s arrival at the emergency department and the team’s ability to administer treatment.  

“There are multiple physician and ancillary services involved in determining if the clot-dissolving drug is right for that particular patient and it has to be done rapidly in order to come to a conclusion in the time frame in which the drug will still be effective,” said Dr. Randy Marriott, the Premier Health EMS Center of Excellence medical director. 

Police: 2nd shooter fired shots outside Centerville apartment 

Published: Friday, May 26, 2017 @ 2:58 AM
Updated: Friday, May 26, 2017 @ 6:39 AM

Malik Perkins/Staff

UPDATE @ 6:40 a.m. 

Centerville police said a second shooter fired shots outside an apartment after a person was shot inside the building on Chase Drive. 

Investigators said at least eight shots were fired by a second person who was outside the apartment complex. Those shots were fired after one person sustained a gunshot wound inside the apartment. 

Police added they believe the second round of shots was fired by the second person who was attempting to shoot the suspect as he left the scene. 

Police said earlier one of the suspected shooters drove to the Centerville Police Department and turned himself in. Investigators did not say if the suspect in custody was the first or second shooter, nor if they had a suspect description of the second shooter. 

The condition of the victim was still not available. 

UPDATE @ 4:16 a.m.

Two men inside a Chase Drive apartment had a dispute that resulted in the shooting that left one man injured. 

“This is not a random thing,” said Centerville Police Department Public Information Officer John Davis. “This is two people who knew each other, so there’s no danger to the public.”

LOCAL: Read the latest local stories in the Miami Valley 

The shooting suspect was taken into custody after he drove to the police department and turned himself in. 

RELATED: Miami Valley’s Most Wanted

UPDATE @ 4:10 a.m. 

Centerville police confirm one person was shot inside an apartment on Chase Drive and has been transported to a local hospital. 

 MORE: Latest bookings in the Montgomery County Jail

Police said the condition of the victim was not immediately available. 

Investigators said the suspect drove himself to the Centerville police station and turned himself in to police. 

We’ll update this page with more information shortly. 

FIRST REPORT

One person has reportedly been shot in an drive-by shooting on Chase Drive in Centerville Friday morning. 

Emergency crews were dispatched to the first block of Chase Drive around 2:50 a.m. on initial reports of a person shot. 

Police scanner traffic indicates the incident was a drive-by shooting. Initial reports indicate the possible shooter went to the Centerville police station and was taken into custody. 

We’ll update this page as we learn more. 

For updates and more news click here to download our free apps.

PETA alleges bear cub abuse at Indiana facility

Published: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 9:35 AM
Updated: Friday, May 26, 2017 @ 5:12 AM

UPDATE @ 5:12 a.m. 05/26/17

Wildlife in Need provided the following written statement in response to PETA allegations regarding the bear cub: 

“They took 10 seconds of spliced and looped footage from a longer video, dubbed over his words with tragic music to create a scene which fits their agenda, but no longer resembles the truth. If this is not true, then why did they choose to show only 10 seconds and not the unedited segment of Tim showing our guests how bears are very strong even at a young age? Why did they not allow his words and his tone to be heard? He went on to cuddle and hold her and she purred contently in his arms. Why didn’t they show you that part of the video?
“This bear was not hurt in any way and yes she does become quite vocal which can sound distressing to those who don’t know bear behavior. It is a normal vocalization. The cub peed because bear cubs, like all babies, will pee anywhere they feel the urge.
“History has shown us repeatedly that societies who fall prey to mass propaganda schemes were led blindly to their horrible downfall. We trust your intelligence to recognize banal propaganda when you see it and we trust that your mission is to report the truth. PETA’s version is edited so extremely that it is monstrously false.”

EARLIER REPORT

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals Foundation has asked the U.S. Department of Agriculture to investigate the alleged “abusive handling” of a bear cub at an Indiana facility, and requested the agency confiscate the cub. 

In a May 18 letter addressed to USDA, the animal rights organization alleges Wildlife in Need, Inc., based in Charlestown, Ind., violated the Animal Welfare Act when Tim Stark “mishandled, taunted and provoked” a 14-week-old cub for an audience’s amusement. 

The cub screamed in terror throughout the presentation,” wrote Brittany Peet, the PETA director of captive animal law enforcement. “At one point, he dangled her by the mouth from his hand. Lifting the cub by her mouth in this manner poses a grave risk of damage to her developing teeth and to the muscles in her skull and neck. There is also a risk of severe injury if she were to let go and fall to the ground.”

The PETA letter also alleges the bear cub “screamed in terror” and urinated on Stark as he took the cubs mouth off his hand and held her toward the crowd. 

“Her ears were back, indicating fear and distress, and her eyes were rolled back to the witness, which is a well-known sign of distress in all mammals,” Peet wrote. “He then placed his hand in front of her mouth and she bit with great force, indicating a ‘fight’ response as a reaction tot he extreme stress and her inability to flee, which would be a cub’s typical response.”

Two days after the letter was sent to USDA, Wildlife in Need posted a video of Stark on Facebook with a message stating an “extremist group” edited the video:

“To those of you who are open minded, we sincerely apologize that you have had to bear witness to the mob mentality that has plagued our page this week. An extremist group has edited 10 seconds of natural bear behavior, looped it and overdubbed the message being relayed. This extremist group has made a call to their millions of armchair warriors to spread false propaganda as a means to further their agenda of ceasing all Animal- Human interaction on this planet. And yes, their end goal is that you no longer have any pets of your own. They have a 98% kill rate because their agenda is counter-intuitive to their mission.”

USDA confirmed the federal agency has launched an investigation into Tim Stark’s actions and Wildlife in Need, but no details can be released, according to our news partner WCPO — a Cincinnati-based television station.