Teen admits to drug offenses in $3M drug ring

Updated: Sunday, September 04, 2016 @ 7:19 PM
Published: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 @ 10:57 PM
By: Denise G. Callahan - Staff Writer

The 17-year-old student who allegedly earned $20,000 a month selling marijuana to fellow students from Mason and Kings high schools admitted to two counts of drug trafficking Tuesday in Warren County Juvenile Court.

The teen, wearing glasses, a light blue dress shirt, khaki pants and a matching tie was flanked by his parents at the brief arraignment before Juvenile Court Judge Michael Powell. As the judge asked him how he pleaded to each of two drug trafficking charges — for selling marijuana to an undercover officer and the second that he prepared marijuana for delivery or sale — he rose and respectfully said, “I admit.”

Powell informed the youth he has several options when he sentences him on Sept. 18: he could send him to the state youth prison system for six months or up until he turns 21; 90 days in jail for each offense; the Mary Haven youth center, or possibly house arrest.

“It’s not everything I can do, but it gives you an idea of the types of things I might consider in a case such as this,” Powell said. “By admitting to the charge you give me the authority to impose those kinds of dispositional orders.”

While a pre-sentence investigation is formulated, the teen will be on house arrest and subject to random drug testing. Prosecutor David Fornshell said the teen displayed proper remorse for his actions and the teen and his lawyer Mike O’Neill have cooperated with the investigation for the past six months. He agreed this was an atypical case.

“The level of marijuana that was being sold was significant, this was a very highly intelligent young man… He was very misguided in what he was putting his efforts toward,” he said. “It’s certainly our hope he gets any type of treatments he might need and that whatever punishment the court levies will put him on the right path and that ultimately somebody like this, who is this intelligent will use those efforts to benefit society as opposed to causing harm.”

Fornshell said no other teens have been charged in this case “as of yet” and he won’t comment further on that subject. The teen, his parents and attorney left the court without comment. The teen, who did not sell pot on the Mason High School campus, will be a senior this year.

Last week Magistrate Andrew Hasselbach set bonds for all but one of the seven adult defendants in the $3 million pot-growing-and-selling ring.

Michael Lopez, 28, of Cincinnati, had not been apprehended yet at the time of the arraignment. He is currently in the Warren County Jail, after his arrest on July 26. Most of the bonds were set at $25,000, except for Cody Lampe whose bond was set at $50,000. The 31-year-old from Cincinnati faces the most charges with 10 counts of engaging in corrupt activity and a host of drug related charges. Gerald Peele, 20, of Mason received a $15,000 bond. All of the adults, except Lopez, are free on bond.

Peele will go to trial first in Judge Robert Peeler’s court on Sept. 27. All of the others have trial dates in early October. At this point it appears Cody and Stacy Lampe will be tried together, as will Allen Honeycutt and William Sparks. Butler County resident Justin Baker is scheduled for trial Oct. 8.

Sheriff: Darke County shooting likely a self-inflicted affair

Updated: Monday, October 24, 2016 @ 9:02 PM
Published: Monday, October 24, 2016 @ 8:51 PM
By: Breaking News Staff

            Sheriff: Darke County shooting likely a self-inflicted affair
The Darke County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a shooting early Sunday as self-inflicted. (Cox Media Group Ohio/archives)

The shooting of a 29-year-old Verona, Ohio, man early Sunday is being investigated as a self-inflicted incident and alcohol cannot be ruled out as a contributing factor, according to the Darke County Sheriff’s Office.

Tyler Minton suffered a single wound to his right thigh in the incident that occurred in the yard of a residence in the 3600 block of U.S. 127 South, according to the sheriff’s office. The incident was called in to county 9-1-1 dispatch about 3:45 a.m.

Minton was treated at the scene, then taken to Miami Valley Hospital by CareFlight. Determined to be in stable condition, he was released from the hospital the same day of the incident.

Sheriff’s investigators determined the shooting was self-inflicted based on multiple witness statements and physical evidence at the scene.

Click here to download our free mobile app for breaking news and news updates.

Miamisburg police investigating vehicle accident on North Main Street

Updated: Monday, October 24, 2016 @ 8:28 PM
By: Breaking News Staff

Police in Miamisburg are investigating a vehicle accident in the 1000 block of North Main Street that left a vehicle on its top.

The accident was dispatched about 5:45 p.m. and we’re hearing at least one person has been taken to a hospital.

The scene of the accident was near Richard Street.

We’re working to learn more about this accident and we’ll update this report as soon as we are able.

Click here to download our free mobile app for breaking news and news updates.

Sheriff: Ordnance found in Clark County home was stick of dynamite

Updated: Monday, October 24, 2016 @ 7:24 PM
By: Breaking News Staff

UPDATE @ 7:14 p.m.: The ordnance found Monday afternoon in the house on West Lake Avenue was a stick of dynamite, Clark County Sheriff Gene Kelly said.

The resident discovered it in the basement as she was cleaning the house. Her husband, who worked in construction, died a year ago, the sheriff said in statement.

UPDATE @ 5:25 p.m.: The resident who found what was thought to be an explosive ordnance “did what she was supposed to do” and called the proper authorities, New Carlisle Fire Chief Steve Trusty said.

The device has been detonated in an open field not far from the residence on West Lake Avenue, the chief said, and the Clark County sheriff’s bomb disposal team will study what’s left of the device to determine what it was.

Two nearby homes were evacuated as a precaution, Trusty said, but there were no injuries.

UPDATE @ 4:45 p.m.: A New Carlisle city truck full of sand has been brought to the home on West Lake Avenue and the pieces of ordnance will be placed in the sand.

The truck will then go to a field nearby and the ordnance will be detonated, we’re told. A member of a bomb squad will be driving the truck.


Fire crews have been sent to a home in New Carlisle on a report that someone found what may be an explosive ordnance.

Springfield police tell us someone in the 1000 block of West Lake Avenue was cleaning out the basement of a home of a deceased relative and found the item.

We have a crew on the way to check it out. We’ll update this developing report as we get information.

Click here to download our free mobile app for breaking news and news updates.

Victim in fatal Frederick Pike crash identified

Updated: Monday, October 24, 2016 @ 6:51 PM
By: Breaking News Staff

UPDATE@6:31 p.m.:

The 14-year-old girl killed in the crash has been identified as Chelsea Bowman, Dayton, according to the Montgomery County coroner’s office.

The crash occurred just after 1 p.m. when a silver 2004 Dodge Neon was traveling south on Frederick Pike and attempted to pass a blue 2004 Suzuki Forenza, which was also traveling south on Frederick Pike, according to a press release from the Montgomery County Sheriff’s office.

While attempting to pass, the Dodge Neon went left of center, clipping the Suzuki Forenza and striking a maroon 2001 Honda CRV head on that was traveling north on Frederick Pike. Bowman was ejected from the Dodge Neon and died as a result of the collision, the release said.

A total of three people were transported to area hospitals by medics; two suffered non-life threatening injuries.

The accident remains under investigation by the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office Traffic Services Unit.

UPDATE@5:50 p.m.:

We’ve confirmed that the victim in the crash is a 14-year-old girl whose has not been identified. We will report her identity as soon as it becomes available.

UPDATE @ 1:34 p.m.:

At least one person is dead in the crash on Frederick Pike, according to deputies.

UPDATE @ 1:30 p.m.:

At least two vehicles are involved in a crash that has deputies blocking Frederick Pike between Beejay Court and Philadelphia Drive.

Multiple medics from multiple jurisdictions responded to the crash in the 6000 block around 1 p.m.

The severity of injuries involved was not immediately known.


A crash with possible injuries has been reported on Frederick Pike this afternoon.

The crash was reported around 1 p.m. in the 6000-block of Frederick.

We are working to gather more information on this story.