breaking news

UPDATE


1 in custody from stabbing in Dayton that sends victim into surgery

Published: Monday, January 15, 2018 @ 10:48 PM
Updated: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 2:55 AM

Alton Ave stabbing

UPDATE @ 12:20 a.m. (Jan. 16): Charles Kirchoff is in jail pending the filing of a formal charge of felony domestic violence in the stabbing at a home on Alton Avenue that sent the victim to a hospital suffering from a neck wound.

According to online jail records, Kirchoff, 71, is expected to be in court this afternoon.

The victim’s condition was not available.

(Courtesy of: Montgomery County Jail)

UPDATE @ 10:55 p.m. (Jan. 15): 

A 71-year-old man is in custody, accused of stabbing a man in the neck with a utility or work knife during an argument, Dayton police Lt. Chris Malson said. 

Police and medics dispatched to the home in the 200 block of Alton Avenue found the victim, who was in surgery tonight. 

Malson said the preliminary investigation reveals that the stabbing stems from arguing that had been occurring at the residence for much of the day. 

OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Olympic champ Biles says team doc sexually abused her

The victim, identified as an adult, and suspect, identified as Charles Kirchoff, live at the Alton Avenue address. 

Kirchoff was on his way to the Montgomery County Jail late Monday, the lieutenant said.

INITIAL REPORT

One person has been taken to a hospital from a reported stabbing at a residence in the 200 block of Alton Avenue in Dayton. 

Police and a medic unit were dispatched to the address for the incident, reported about 8:45 p.m., according to a Montgomery County Regional Dispatch sergeant. 

OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Warning issued for ‘Tide Pod Challenge’

The victim was stabbed in the neck, according to regional dispatch notes. The victim's condition is not readily available. 

We're working to learn more about this incident. Stay with whio.com for breaking news. 

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Days of rain getting underway

Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 3:53 AM
Updated: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 3:22 PM

Several rounds of rain may lead to flooding problems this week.

A Winter Weather Advisory has been issued for Auglaize, Champaign, Darke, Logan, Mercer, and Shelby counties, in effect from 1 a.m. Thursday through 11 a.m. 

Total ice accumulations overnight could reach one-tenth of an inch with limited viability also expected. 

A Flood Watch has also been issued for Butler, Clinton and Warren counties, starting at 7 p.m. Wednesday through 10 a.m. Feb. 25. 

>> Record-breaking warmth this week 

QUICK-LOOK FORECAST

  • FLOOD WATCH for southern Miami Valley begins tonight
  • WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY for northern Miami Valley late tonight
  • 2 to 4 inches of rain possible through the weekend

>> 5-Day Forecast

DETAILED FORECAST

5 Day Forecast with Meteorologist McCall Vrydaghs

THIS EVENING: On and off rain. Temperatures will drop through the 30s.

Graphic by Storm Center 7 Chief Meteorologist Eric Elwell

>> County-by-County Weather

TONIGHT: Rain likely. As temperatures drop, the rain may become freezing rain across the northern Miami Valley. Elsewhere, temperatures should remain just above freezing, in the lower to middle 30s.

THURSDAY: Rain or freezing rain in the morning then drying out. Clouds will remain. Temperatures will hold in the middle 40s.

Graphic by Storm Center 7 Chief Meteorologist Eric Elwell

FRIDAY: Rain likely. The rain may be heavy at times. It will be mild with highs in the upper 50s.

>> WHIO Doppler 7 Interactive Radar

SATURDAY: Rain likely. The rain may be heavy at times with a chance for some thunder, mainly south. Highs will be near 60 degrees.

SUNDAY: Rain will taper off early in the morning with clouds breaking. It will be windy and cooler with highs in the middle 50s.

MONDAY: Sunshine returns. Breezy and cool with highs in the lower 50s.

 

WHIO Weather App

Trending - Most Read Stories

Kettering substitute accused of sex with students ruled competent to stand trial

Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 3:05 PM

Substitute teacher indicted on student sex charges enters plea

A judge has ruled the Kettering Fairmont High School substitute teacher accused of having sex with two students in a Big Lots and apartment complex parking lot is competent to stand trial, officials said.

Madeline J. Marx, 23, is charged with sexual battery.

A 17-year-old student told police he was given oral sex by a teacher July 19 in the parking lot of Big Lots on Wilmington Pike, according to the complaint, affidavit and statement of facts filed in municipal court.

RELATED: Substitute teacher accused of sex with students appears in court

A 16-year-old boy told police he had intercourse with a substitute teacher Sept. 21 in the parking lot of an apartment complex on Smithville Road, according to court documents.

Marx was removed from Fairmont’s building Nov. 8 by police. Marx admitted to having sexual relationships with multiple students, according to court documents.

RELATED: Teacher accused of sex with 2 students, sending nude photos released from jail

An affidavit said Marx also confessed to sending several nude pictures via Snapchat and Instagram.

A prosecutor’s office press release indicated Marx also substitute taught in Oakwood. School officials in Oakwood sent parents a letter saying that they did not know of any victims in their school district.

State records indicated Marx has a four-year teaching license as a K-12 education intervention specialist.

Marx graduated in 2012 from Chaminade Julienne High School in Dayton and graduated from the University of Dayton in 2016 with a bachelor’s degree in education, according to CJ and UD officials.

According to her UD transcript included in her personnel file, Marx withdrew from a fall 2013 class on sexual ethics.

Trending - Most Read Stories

WATCH: West Carrollton HS student charged for alleged assault at school

Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 7:59 AM
Updated: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 1:48 PM

Officials with West Carrollton Schools said they have dealt with a student after video of an assault at the high school showed up on Facebook. Video courtesy of Rachel Tussey's Facebook page.

UPDATE @ 1:45 p.m. 

A 15-year-old West Carrollton High School student who allegedly assaulted a classmate, accused the assault victim of telling a female acquaintance to kill herself, according to a police report. 

TRENDING: Search warrants conducted in multiple locations in Montgomery County

The 15-year-old victim denied the allegation while the victim filed the police report, according to the report. Victim’s mother also denied the allegation when reached by this new organization. 

TRENDING: 250 Dayton STEM students walk out to support Florida school shooting victims

The victim and his mother went to the West Carrollton Police Department after the victim received treatment at Dayton Children’s Hospital on Feb. 5. The victim suffered a concussion and a jaw injury in the incident, the report said.

The victim also said the suspect reached out to him on Snapchat after the alleged assault, asking him not to pursue criminal charges, but the victim and his family did not have screenshots of the messages, the report said.

After completing the police report, officers went to the suspect’s home, arrested him and took him in for questioning. 

“(The suspect) told me that (the victim) told his friend to kill herself, which upset him,” West Carrollton officers logged in the report. “(The suspect) said that he has been going back and forth with (the victim) via text messages about it.” 

The suspect told police he has an anger problem, and it caused him to “black out” and attack the victim, according to the report. 

This news organization is not naming the parties involved in this incident because they are minors. 

FIRST REPORT

A West Carrollton High School student is facing assault charges after  the district said the student was allegedly involved in an assault at the school earlier this month that was filmed by someone at the school.

The assault was reported to have happened at the high school on Feb. 5

A parent shared a video with this news organization and on social media reportedly showing an attack in the hallway of the high school on the same day the district confirmed an assault occurred.  The district confirmed the video is part of their investigation.

LOCAL NEWS: 8-year-old found with a gun in his backpack at local elementary school

“This incident was investigated in accordance with school policies, and appropriate disciplinary actions were taken,” said West Carrollton Superintendent Andrea Townsend.  “Our District takes bullying very seriously, and is constantly teaching and reminding our students to be respectful of others in all their interactions.”

Trending - Most Read Stories

First of two men convicted of killing mother in front of her child sentenced to prison

Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 2:26 PM

Curtis Howard Burdette (Contributed Photo)
Curtis Howard Burdette (Contributed Photo)

One of two men convicted of killing Brittany Russell was sentenced in court Wednesday. 

PREVIOUS COVERAGE: Suspect indicted in fatal shooting of mother in front of child

Curtis Howard Burdette, 39, of Dayton was sentenced to the maximum sentence of 25 years in prison Wednesday, according to a release from the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office. 

TRENDING: Search warrants conducted in multiple locations in Montgomery County

Burdette was found guilty in March 2017 on charges of involuntary manslaughter, kidnapping, and tampering with evidence in connection to the death of Brittany Russell. Russell was found shot in the head in her car while her 6-month-old daughter was in the back seat. 

The co-defendant in the case, Brandon Carr, was found guilty on charges last week of murder, aggravated murder, kidnapping, felonious assault, tampering with evidence, endangering children, and other charges. Carr will be sentenced on March 9. 

Trending - Most Read Stories