log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Monday, November 13, 2017 @ 9:08 AM
KETTERING — Update@12:04 p.m.:
The Kettering Fairmont High School substitute teacher accused last week of having sex with two students in a Big Lots and apartment complex parking lot pleaded not guilty in municipal court Monday.
Madeline J. Marx, 23, appeared to be in tears during her arraignment in Kettering Municipal Court.
“On behalf of Ms. Marx,” attorney Keith Fricker said. “We’ll enter a not guilty plea, your Honor, and ask that the bond be continued as was previously ordered by this court.”
Marx is free on bond with conditions, including that she stay at her father’s residence while the court case progresses. She also was ordered not to have any communication with the alleged victims.
Marx is charged with two counts of sexual battery and is scheduled for a preliminary hearing Nov. 21.
Both counts are third-degree felonies and punishable by sentences of up to 9 to 36 months in prison.
A 17-year-old student told police he was given oral sex by a teacher July 19 in the parking lot of Big Lots on Wilmington Pike, according to the complaint, affidavit and statement of facts filed in court.
A 16-year-old boy told police he had intercourse with a substitute teacher Sept. 21 in the parking lot of an apartment complex on Smithville Road, according to court documents.
Marx was removed from Fairmont’s building Nov. 8 by police. Marx admitted to having sexual relationships with multiple students, according to court documents.
An affidavit said Marx also confessed to sending several nude pictures via Snapchat and Instagram.
A prosecutor’s office press release indicated Marx also substitute taught in Oakwood. School officials in Oakwood sent parents a letter saying that they did not know of any victims in their school district.
State records indicated Marx has a four-year teaching license as a K-12 education intervention specialist.
Marx graduated in 2012 from Chaminade Julienne High School in Dayton and graduated from the University of Dayton in 2016 with a bachelor’s degree in education, according to CJ and UD officials.
According to her UD transcript included in her personnel file, Marx withdrew from a fall 2013 class on sexual ethics.
The Kettering Fairmont High School substitute teacher accused of having sex with two students and sending nude photographs to one of them pleaded not guilty in Kettering Municipal Court Monday.
Madeline Marx, 23, of Brookville, is charged with two counts of sexual battery.
According to Kettering police, Marx was accused of having sex with one of the students in the parking lot of Big Lots on Wilmington Pike and the other in the parking lot of Van Buren Apartments.
The incidents are said to have happened between July and September of this year.
Marx also subbed at Oakwood schools over the last 12 months.
Published: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 12:19 PM
CELINA — A Darke County man, wanted in connection to several thefts across multiple counties, was arrested after trying to flee from officers in Celina Sunday.
Officers were initially dispatched to reports of a suspicious person at Bud’s Jeep and Chrysler car dealership on South Main Street Sunday, Celina Police Chief Tom Wale said in a media release Monday.
While searching the area for the suspect, police and deputies located a pickup truck about a block away on Murlin Avenue that appeared to be occupied. Officers said they recognized the truck from multiple crimes in Mercer and surrounding counties.
GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN: What we know about Wright Patterson
“As officers were checking the vehicle, which had dark tinted windows (that) were fogged over, the lights came on and an officer could see a male hunched down inside the cab,” Wale said. “Celina officers and Mercer County Sheriff’s Deputies had the truck surrounded and were ordering the (driver) out of the truck.”
The driver, later identified as Jason Amspaugh, 31, of Union City, Ohio, started the truck and accelerated towards a detective with the Mercer County Sheriff’s Office, Wale said. The detective was able to get out of the way of the truck before it crashed into a parked car and came to rest in a ditch.
Amspaugh was arrested after the crash. Investigators were granted a search warrant of the truck where they located multiple stolen items, including ones stolen from the Celina car dealership, Wale said.
Police later obtained a search warrant for Amspaugh’s home on Ellis Road in Union City, where an estimated $75,000 worth of stolen merchandise was recovered.
Amspaugh remains booked in the Mercer County Jail on a $500,000 bond on preliminary charges of felonious assault of a peace officer and fleeing. The case remains under review by the Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office.
Published: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 11:08 AM
Updated: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 11:47 AM
PIQUA — UPDATE @ 11:46 a.m.
A standoff situation has ended and a man is in custody.
Police on scene told News Center 7’s Steve Baker that a male neighbor with brass knuckles reportedly assaulted another male of the apartment building. The man assaulted was involved in a domestic dispute at the time.
The male in custody is the one who had brass knuckles, police said.
An apparent standoff is actively underway on Park Avenue in Piqua this morning.
Officers and a heavily armored police vehicle were in the area of the 1000 block of Park around 11 a.m.
Published: Sunday, January 21, 2018 @ 11:44 PM
Updated: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 10:03 AM
NEW CARLISLE —
UPDATE @ 10 a.m.
Ohio 571 is expected to be shut down in New Carlisle for a few days to remove 10,000 tons of corn that fell into the roadway after a grain silo collapsed at Miami Valley Feed and Grain Company late Sunday night, according to the Clark County Sheriff’s Office.
CONTINUING COVERAGE: Where do Ohio senators stand on shutdown vote?
The collapse knocked down multiple power poles, originally disrupting electric service to around 300 Dayton Power and Light customers.
At 10 a.m., 15 outages were still reported in Clark County, according to an online outage map.
We’ll continue to update this story as we learn new details.
UPDATE @ 4:55 a.m: Power is steadily being restored in Clark County with only a reported 15 customers experiencing an outage.
Power was cut off as a safety measure after a corn silo collapsed Sunday night prompting crews to investigate the building.
UPDATE @ 3:35 a.m: Over 300 customers are without power in Clark County after a corn silo collapse caused crews to cut the power in order to investigate the incident.
The collapse occurred late Sunday night at Miami Valley Feed & Grain around 11:40 p.m.
Crews will be working all night into tomorrow and there’s no word on how long the outage will have customers without power.
We will monitor the DP&L outage map and continue to update the story.
Ohio 571 (Jefferson Street) will be closed while officials continue to investigate what caused a non-injury silo collapse Sunday night.
Crews were initially called to Miami Valley Feed & Grain at 880 W. Jefferson St. around 11:40 p.m. on reports of an explosion.
After a preliminary investigation, it was determined that one silo collapsed, rather than exploded, and partially damaged another building as well as caused 10,000 tons of corn to cover Ohio 571.
“What residents heard when they thought they heard explosions were the transformers blowing when the debris hit them”, said Steve Trusty, Chief of New Carlisle Fire Department.
Officials do not believe anyone is trapped as a result of the collapse, as the company said no employees were on site at the time but will further investigate the building to confirm.
The silo collapse took out at least three power poles and power lines, which caused a brief power outage that has since been restored to all area residents.
Crews will be on scene all night until midday tomorrow while they continue their investigation.
An Ohio Fire Marshal has also been called to the scene and will assist with the investigation tomorrow.
Drivers are encouraged to use Scarf Road as the detour while Ohio 571 (Jefferson Street) is blocked off.
Published: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 10:44 AM
— Since December 1998, there have been 205 spacewalks at the International Space Station.
The first spacewalk of 2018 is scheduled for Tuesday morning.
NASA will be streaming the walk live, which begins around 7 a.m.
According to NASA, American and Japanese astronauts will carry out these spacewalks in January to repair a robotic arm on the space station.
Mark Vande Hei of NASA will lead the walk along with Scott Tingle and Norishige Kanai.
WHIO will live stream the spacewalk Tuesday.
Last year, there were nine U.S. spacewalks.