log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Wednesday, January 03, 2018 @ 4:05 AM
Updated: Wednesday, January 03, 2018 @ 7:10 AM
SPRINGFIELD TWP. — UPDATE @7:10 a.m.
Fire officials said a wood burning stove may be the cause of a fire that destroyed a Springfield Twp. home early Wednesday morning.
The fire also damaged a neighboring house that was vacant, officials said.
With temperatures hovering around zero, officials said fire equipment froze up, making it more difficult to put out the fire.
UPDATE @5:30 a.m.
Two people were able to escape a house when it caught fire in Springfield Twp. early Wednesday morning.
Fire officials have been fighting the fire defensively since arriving on scene shortly before 4 a.m. Flames were initially showing from the rear, but the fire spread quickly through the entire house, officials said.
A salt truck is on scene treating the roadway for frozen water. Several firefighters have fallen on ice on the scene, according to our crews.
Extra vehicles and coffee has been brought in to the scene to help keep firefighters warm.
UPDATE @4:43 a.m.
Flames and heavy smoke are visible from a house fire in Springfield Twp.
Crews continue to fight heavy fire at the scene more than 45 minutes after the blaze was reported.
We have a crew on scene, and this story will be updated as additional information becomes available.
Crews are responding to a working structure fire in Springfield Twp.
The fire was reported shortly before 4 a.m. on Omega Street. Mutual aid has been requested to the scene.
Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 6:11 PM
KETTERING — Police are continuing to look for two males who committed a home invasion robbery on Hazel Avenue.
Investigators don't know what led the invaders to pick the home they did Wednesday afternoon, Kettering Police Patrolman John Jung said.
According to the preliminary investigation, the two males forced their way inside just before 4 p.m., knocked down the resident and took property, Officer Jung said.
OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Good Samaritan Hospital in Dayton to close
A K-9 unit was called to the scene as part of the investigation and he said police are interviewing neighbors, hoping to get a description of the robbers.
Jung asked that if you have information you believe will help in this investigation, please call Kettering police at 937-296-2555.
Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 6:44 PM
ENGLEWOOD — A former nurse who has spent a good portion of her career at Good Samaritan Hospital was "shocked" to hear Wednesday's announcement that Premier Health planned to close the facility.
"I just cannot believe what I'm hearing," Rosa Lee Weinert said. The 89-year-old graduated from nursing school at the hospital in 1949 and worked there as a nurse until 1964.
The Englewood resident said she still serves on the hospital's alumni board.
SPECIAL REPORT: Million-dollar paychecks for hospital CEOs
Weinert remembers her time on Philadelphia Avenue fondly, smiling as she remembered "the nuns who used to run the place" back with the hospital was a Catholic institution.
"It was a small, friendly place back then," Weinert said. "It was a beautiful community."
Weinert ran the heart-lung machine during open heart surgeries during her last four years at Good Samaritan. She marvels at all the instruments and machines nurses today use during surgeries.
Weinert wasn't a fan of how the hospital's exterior changed throughout the years -- from a small, warm building with a circular drive to the large facility she sees today.
She says it "boggles her mind" to think of the massive job of moving the services and patients from Good Samaritan to other Premier Health properties.
"I just cannot imagine Miami Valley [Hospital] assuming all of the patients and all of the care that is given at Good Samaritan. I can't imagine another building incorporating that," Weinert said.
Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 7:33 PM
DAYTON — The Greater Dayton Regional Transit Authority hopes to modernize its payment system and get rid of cash fares by 2020, officials said Wednesday.
More than half of RTA riders have migrated to passes, including monthly and weekly passes, said Mark Donaghy, CEO of the agency.
OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Premier Health to shut down Good Samaritan Hospital
The agency will work to become the first major transit authority in the nation to stop using cash, he said.
RTA spends more than $1 million each year collecting and managing cash, and the future holds even more easy and convenient electronic forms of payment, he said.
Customers will be able to load up electronic cards to pay their fares at various locations.
Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 4:37 PM
Updated: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 5:45 PM
FAIRBORN — UPDATE @ 5:37 p.m.: Two adults and two children have been displaced and two pets had to be rescued in the Marchmont Drive house fire.
Battalion Chief Laura Conley-Kerr, Fairborn Fire Department, said, firefighters revived one of the two pets found inside the burning home.
"It looks like it's a total loss, from top to bottom," Conley-Kerr said. She estimates the damage to the house and contents at $45,000 to $68,000.
The cause remains under investigation, she said.
OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Good Samaritan Hospital in Dayton to close
There were heavy flames, with fire burning through the roof, when crews arrived, she said.
The Red Cross has been called to assist the family, which has been displaced, Conley-Kerr said.
Although Conley-Kerr didn't specifically say the fire involved the kitchen, she advises all residents to have extinguishers in the home and a fire drill plan because many house fires involve the kitchen.
Crews are on the scene of a house fire in the 200 block of Marchmont Drive.
Crews were dispatched just after 4 p.m. on a report of a structure fire, with flames reportedly through the roof.
OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Judge seals records in woman’s slaying
There is no word whether anyone has been injured or whether the dwelling is occupied.
We have a crew on the way. Stay with whio.com for breaking news.