log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Thursday, September 28, 2017 @ 11:01 AM
Updated: Thursday, September 28, 2017 @ 2:35 PM
MIAMI, Fla. — UPDATE @ 2:35 p.m.
Marcus Goffena was in Florida to help repair towers that were damaged by Hurricane Irma, his relatives said.
“That was just the way he was. He wanted to get there to help out,” Marcus’ father told this news outlet during a phone interview Thursday afternoon.
More Local News: Tipp City man killed in crash on U.S. 35
His mother added: “He loved what he was doing, he was really proud of what he was doing.”
Goffena started working for the Texas-based Tower King II, a company that performs maintenance and construction of large broadcast towers, about six years ago, but he and his family knew the dangers of his job, they said.
“It’s scary ... every time he’s up in the air,” his mother said. “We knew that. We knew it was a dangerous job.”
Goffena’s father said he was notified of his son’s death from the owner of Tower King II Wednesday.
“[I felt] disbelief. I couldn’t believe it was true,” his mother said.
Goffena’s family said his job took him all over the county, but he was very family-oriented, and loved coming back to Sidney to spend time with his family.
“He loved to live life to the fullest. He always had a smile on his face,” his mother said.
Goffena’s autopsy was scheduled to be completed today, and funeral arraignments were still pending, his parents said.
UPDATE @ 11:45 a.m.
Family members have confirmed Marcus Goffena, 31, of Sidney is one of the three victims killed in a Florida scaffolding accident Wednesday.
A Sidney man was killed in a scaffolding accident at a TV tower in Miami, Fla. Wednesday.
Sidney City Schools Superintendent John Scheu confirmed to this news outlet one of the three people killed in the accident yesterday was a graduate of Sidney High School.
This news outlet is withholding publishing the victim’s name until we’ve confirmed the next of kin have been notified.
According to the Associated Press, three men died after the scaffolding they used to reach the top of a 100-story tall transmission tower collapsed.
Officials told the AP, the tower transmits signals for two stations in Miami, WPLG and WSVN. The men were contract workers for a Texas-basked company, Tower King II, that builds and maintains television antennas.
FCC Antenna Tower Registration records say the 1,032-foot tower was built in 2009 and is owned by Miami Tower, LLC.
WSVN owner and president Edmund Ansin said in a statement to the AP that the men were performing work required by the FCC.
Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 10:04 AM
Clayton officials are trying to figure out how to market a golf course and banquet space donated to the city three years ago.
City council will hold a workshop on Thursday, Jan. 18 at 6:30 p.m. to discuss how to make the public more aware of Meadowbrook at Clayton, which includes a golf course, banquet center and swimming pools.
Meadowbrook was privately-owned until it was donated to the city in April 2015. Since then, the city has been trying to figure out how best to market the banquet space and golf course to the Miami Valley.
The workshop, in council chambers at 6996 Taywood Rd., is open to the public but no public input will be accepted at that time, said City Clerk Barbara Seim.
“This is just an ideas and information session, there’s no action item, no voting,” Seim said.
Meadowbrook staff will present to city council current marketing efforts as well as what they hope to do in the future.
“It’s great that they want our input,” Bill Williams, director of golf at Meadowbrook said.
After the workshop, members of the community can stay to comment or share ideas during the city council meeting that follows at 7 p.m.
The city is placing an emphasis on marketing Meadowbrook because many don’t know they have access to the golf course and banquet hall now, city officials said.
“We were private for so long that people don’t realize we’re public now,” Williams said.
Larry and Tina Harris of LGH Properties LLC donated Meadowbrook Country Club, a 171-acre club, to the city. The property consists of a 65,000 square-foot banquet center, clubhouse, Olympic-sized pool, baby pool, driving range and 18-hole golf course.
Clayton City Manager Rick Rose has “really taken the lead” on promoting the Meadowbrook, according to Williams.
“Since it was a donation to the city, we didn’t have a department to take it over, so as city manager I’ve just taken it upon myself to make sure it succeeds,” Rose said. “We are a small city and it is a group effort of employees and elected officials.”
According to Rose in 2016, the first full year the city owned Meadowbrook, its revenues were $483,203 plus an additional $252,000 in transfers from the general fund. The following year’s revenues were $507,481. Transfers from the general fund were $162,480.
“In general, cities spend somewhere between 2 and 11 percent of their general fund budget to supplement their parks and recreation facilities. Clayton is on track to be in the five percent range,” Rose said.
Rose said the goal of the workshop is to discuss different directions the city could go with marketing. He hopes the change in marketing will increase direct revenues and lessen general fund transfers.
He wants to encourage the public to play on the golf course and get word out about all the different events the banquet center can be used for. The ultimate goal is to increase golf outings and rentals of the banquet center.
Meadowbrook currently uses social media for marketing but the city is hoping to “change it up.”
“We want to broaden our reach and put in the minds of everyone that (Meadowbrook) is open to the public,” Rose said. “Meadowbrook at Clayton is not just a golf course and banquet facility but also a place to hold public events and bring our community together.”
Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 11:51 AM
WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE — Wright-Patterson will launch its first base-wide exercise of 2018 between Jan. 29 to Feb.5, authorities say.
Base personnel and visitors may be delayed getting through or out of gateways at times during the security exercise, officials said.
Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 11:43 AM
OXFORD — Mike Fox said he should have died last month.
He was admitted to McCullough-Hyde Hospital in Oxford on Dec. 2 after he collapsed in his home. He was in hospitals, both McCullough-Hyde and Bethesda North in Hamilton County, until Dec. 18, and he doesn’t remember most of that time. While he was in the hospital, he said his heart “completely stopped, and I don’t know how long it stopped.”
“There’s no rational basis for me being alive,” said Fox, 69.
The experience has led to reflection for the one-time controversial politician, who served longer in the Statehouse than any other Butler County lawmaker and was also a former county commissioner — and who also later served four years in prison for wire fraud and filing a false tax return.
Butler County GOP Executive Chair Todd Hall said Fox, despite the prison term, “will leave a lasting legacy within the county and in the Republican Party.”
”Really, it extends to both extremes. When my grandfather, Carlos Todd, was chairman of this party, he recognized Mike’s incredible political talent and also his tendency to stir controversy. There will be many detractors, but I think Mike will mostly be remembered for his energy and accomplishments for our county. He was instrumental in building an important highway, among other notable projects. I do hope Mike’s health improves, and he is around to share his knowledge for many years to come,” Hall said.
In addition to the congestive heart failure, Fox also had double pneumonia and was affected by E.coli. He believes he might have suffered a stroke, as his left arm and leg went numb. He is just now starting to get feeling and mobility back into his arm and leg.
Because of all of that, Fox said, “I’m learning to walk again.”
Fox is rehabilitating at the Knolls of Oxford, and has been there since he left Bethesda North on Dec. 18. He spends his days in physical therapy, needing to regain the strength and stamina he lost after his heart failure, as well as reading, writing and researching.
“I think by the time I leave here I’ll be the country’s foremost expert on the Kennedy assassination,” a topic he’s been fascinated with since he was a kid.
Why did Fox nearly die?
Fox said he was less than 170 pounds when he was in his early 40s — 15 years into his nearly 23-year statehouse career — and was running up to three miles a day. Then he stopped running and had “a Baskin Robbins breakdown” and a “pizza breakdown.”
As a county commissioner, a seat he held from October 1997 to April 2007, Fox said his weight fluctuated between 250 and 260 pounds, and when the FBI investigated him for his role in Butler County entering into fiber optics, he gained 130 pounds.
Food was how he relieved stress.
“When the FBI came calling, I went into a total crash,” Fox said. “I became a total hermit, and eating was my comfort.”
Fox became known for his weight and appetite, and when asked about what led to his Dec. 2 hospitalization, he said, “I almost ate myself to death.”
“You think you’re bulletproof until something like this happens,” he said. “Basically, my body was shutting down. It was by the grace of God, that’s the only way to explain it. God gave me my life back.”
Now he has a “simple” choice: “I either lose this weight, or I lose my life.”
Fox will forever be known for his four-year prison sentence, which ended in December 2015. He pleaded guilty in March 2011 to conspiracy to commit wire fraud and filing a false tax return, both felony counts, in U.S. District Court in Cincinnati.
In exchange for the plea, the federal government agreed to a four-year sentence instead of two decades. None of the public corruption charges alleged in the indictment, which included bribes and kickbacks, were a part of the plea agreement.
But Fox said he wants to be known for more than a prison term.
He has been reflecting on his life and career, which included nearly 25 years in the Ohio legislature — making him the longest-serving legislator from Butler County — a decade on the Butler County Commission and a brief stint as the Butler County Children Services director.
Fox was a controversial figure when he was in politics, but that’s because “I took on tough issues most people wanted to avoid. They were controversial because they involved risk,” he said.
During his time in the legislature, Fox helped to secure hundreds of millions of dollars in state funding for Butler County projects, including the Job Development Center for Hamilton High School, Butler County Regional Highway (initially called the Michael A. Fox Highway), Butler County Transportation Improvement District, and Union Center Boulevard interchange.
In his last year in the Ohio House, he said it was his amendments to Senate Bill 55 in the 122nd General Assembly that established charter schools in eight of Ohio’s urban school districts.
“The amendment creates an opportunity to provide competition to traditional inner-city schools by giving urban district parents more educational choices for their children,” Fox said.
He also offered the amendment to that same bill that requires the Ohio Department of Education to make the fourth-, sixth-, ninth- and 12th-grade proficiency tests a public document no later than July 1 in the following the academic year.
Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 11:03 AM
KETTERING — A bomb threat made to Kettering Fairmont High School that was posted to social media was determined to be unfounded and not creditable, according to Kettering City Schools Superintendent Scott Inskeep.
Overnight, Inskeep received a message through his Twitter account, claiming the school would be bombed before lunch, he said during a phone call Wednesday.
“Very early this morning, we became aware of the fact that a tweet had been shared to my Twitter account, stating that a bomb would go off at Fairmont High School at lunch time if I didn’t close school today,” Inskeep said in a message to parents.
The tweet was determined to have come from a “false account,” Inskeep said. The district, along with Kettering police deemed the threat as non-credible.
“I want to assure you that the safety of our students and staff is always of paramount importance to me, and we will always respond to these types of situations with the best interests of students and staff in mind,” Inskeep added in the message to parents.